Fate of a Princess

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tr0ll

Re: Fate of a Princess

Post by tr0ll »

This campaign is great! I am just at the level after Baldres has kidnapped the queen, using Wesnoth 1.9.13. I was wondering if there is a walkthrough yet.
Other feedback:
  • i spent a lot of time looking for the elvish fiancé of the ogre and eliminating the gryphons to find the book, but it seemed all for naught. i replayed the scenario twice after winning it without ever encountering the diary, thinking i missed something. happily the scenario lets you keep 80% of gold so it doesnt hurt so much to end later and promote some units.
  • last time i played this maybe 2 years ago, was Jil more rogue-like and had leadership? even at level 3 she seems too easy to kill and that single charge attack is always a hair-raising gamble. i have to treat her like a princess half the time, holding back from the action. btw was it too cliché to have her flirting with Baldres or act more jealous?
  • it took me 4 attempts to win 06_Capturing_Dorest. the battle is hopeless until the saurians appear, so i changed to a defensive strategy. i think the real problem is the lack of melee tank units, day or night. i went back to 05_In_The_Wilds in order to develop more peasants into spearmen and archers.
Attachments
FoaP-Capturing_Dorest_replay.gz
wesnoth 1.9.13 FoaP 0.9.3
(82.31 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

tr0ll wrote:This campaign is great! I am just at the level after Baldres has kidnapped the queen, using Wesnoth 1.9.13. I was wondering if there is a walkthrough yet.
Thank you.
There is a happening in the second morning on 8 Battle of Dorest scenario.:)
tr0ll wrote:i spent a lot of time looking for the elvish fiancé of the ogre and eliminating the gryphons to find the book, but it seemed all for naught. i replayed the scenario twice after winning it without ever encountering the diary, thinking i missed something.
Actually, missing to read the diary is not currently a big deal in this campaign. The scenario 7-10 have been added later, and Gulcyn the Wizard appears in the game on one of those scenarios. The diary was needed to let players know who Gulcyn the Wizard is when he appeared just on the dialogue of the transition (on version 0.7.x or before).

To get the diary, players have to pick it up at near Gryphon's keep before defeating the Ogre leader.
tr0ll wrote:happily the scenario lets you keep 80% of gold so it doesnt hurt so much to end later and promote some units.
On this campaign, the carry-over-gold is 80% in the most scenarios. I balanced it on that way. So it is possible that players can earn more golds if they finish the scenarios early although leveling up the units are important on the most of the scenarios.
tr0ll wrote:last time i played this maybe 2 years ago, was Jil more rogue-like and had leadership? even at level 3 she seems too easy to kill and that single charge attack is always a hair-raising gamble.
Yes. Jil used to be more powerful than current one, and may have leadership in some old version (she had a ranged poison attack, too). But we reduced her power a little bit because it was too much. She still has enough power of the melee attack although it is a gamble to use as you said.:)
tr0ll wrote:was it too cliché to have her flirting with Baldres or act more jealous?
Yeah, we were able to do it on that way in detail. But as you can imagine, many and any young aged players, including female players, are possible to play this campaign, so we go with that Jil is more a man-like and an aggressive soldier. We may add a few more talks in the future, though. :)
tr0ll wrote:it took me 4 attempts to win 06_Capturing_Dorest. the battle is hopeless until the saurians appear, so i changed to a defensive strategy. i think the real problem is the lack of melee tank units, day or night. i went back to 05_In_The_Wilds in order to develop more peasants into spearmen and archers.
The number of orc archers are recruited still a half of their fighters on the scenario. Its number is approximately 2-fighters : 1-archer. But at least, a few melee attackers are definitely needed. (if you keep a Thug alive, he is useful on the scenario.)

Thanks for playing and a feedback, tr0ll. (and Happy New Year!) :)
I updated a new version, 0.9.4, in the late last night. The version is supposed to be pretty much stable, so you can cross the version even you are in the middle of playing. I don't think any error, that cause to the crossing version, occurs on it. (you may change it at the end of part one, also.)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

happy new year to you too and thanks for all your works!
i won all but the last scenario, which i found too hard.
Spoiler:
Attachments
FoaP-Fate_of_a_Princess.gz
wesnoth 1.9.13 FoaP last scenario impossible without cheating?
(65.36 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, tr0ll. :)
Your feedback is so helpful, and it made me find another bug on the replay. There is a weird message that appears on the replay only.
Spoiler:
Thanks for playing through the end.:)

P.S. We will appreciate if anyone tells us the difficulty level of this campaign.
I am still not really sure this campaign is an intermediate level or an expert level...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
taptap

Post by taptap »

I like the campaign so far (I am scenario 7 or 8 now), very unique unit mix of lawful and chaotic units, Robin Hood and the Round Table with the possibility to get about everything else as well.

Ishlar changes from neutral to lawful upon mounting a horse.

Changing the name of Dorset to Dorest is a little strange when there are other campaigns around that use the same map and still call it Dorset. (Son of the Black Eye? Or was it another one?)

The campaign uses the old 80% gold carryover method. As starting gold is pretty high and move limits are considerably shorter in hard I found it very hard to get any carryover at all. Do you consider changing to the 40%+starting gold method?

In scenario 5 it isn't at all explained whether entering the cave starts an interlude or wins the scenario.

In scenario 5b the dark sorceress has a whopping 90 base income at hard (her forces at peak strength would pretty much fill the whole cave). It is managable if you know about it and rush in with full force, but if you hesitate a single turn there is the potential that you face the necrophages in a bottleneck only 3 hexes wide where making progress against necrophages (when 3 are produced each turn) can be very tedious or outright impossible. In the large open battles the high base income (scenario 6 has about 100 I reckon) produces quite nice effects (constant pressure, AI doesn't go negative and stops recruiting altogether as in other campaigns), but in a cave scenario with bottlenecks where the base income only kicks in after the leader is triggered, I believe this is the wrong way to go. As it gives undue influence to meta-events. (Do you trigger this or the next turn.) I would give her a reasonable income say 20-25 but have her banking from turn 1, this leaves her with enough gold to recruit a huge number of units when you finally reach her, but not these unlimited reinforcements. In 5b the "exit" and where it might be is unexplained. Why can't I leave through the entrance?

Balance: the scenarios are playable with minimal gold on hard, although with only one healer (ok, that is my fault) scenario 6 was pretty hard. I believe some scenarios aren't really balanced = the 30/60/90 approach to base income and turn limits leads to some interesting scaling effects and maybe should be adjusted at times (easy might be too easy, hard a littler harder than intended).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Spoiler:
SkyOne wrote: Thanks for playing through the end.:)

P.S. We will appreciate if anyone tells us the difficulty level of this campaign.
I am still not really sure this campaign is an intermediate level or an expert level...
with the new/varied units and side changes and tough fights i would say expert.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Some more feedback:

After the capture of Dorest there are a couple of scenarios that try to harmonize the story. The capture of the elven queen is nice as is, the following two scenarios are just gods jumping out of machines (or the equivalent teleporting silver mage) to kill your senior units. This feels simply wrong (why can a mere silver mage do this when there is a great mage standing next to Baldres) and more importantly not necessary. If you have to do things like this there is some problem with the plot: why must it end with the bad guys being punished, why is Jil even considering talking with the elves when she could defeat them outright, why do they even know the commanders who led the raid when it left no survivors? Hell, why do the orcs make an ambush at the bridge, when they are totally surprised that there are elves, how could they possible expect Jil to ride to this place? No amount of good writing can conceal the unmotivated character of this 180 degree turnaround. The real second part starts long after, Baldres could have died from old age in the meantime, why forcibly kill him, Ishlar and Jil and especially like that?

The fourth of these four scenarios is again good, fighting against two considerable armies (goblins, riders, assassins) with the princess, an elvish champion leader, two unicorns and only scouts as recruits... Just make it independent campaigns, with the fourth of the intermediate scenarios as first scenario of the second one.

The second part has again an unique unit mix. The probably first elven campaign where you can't recruit elves. (At least as far as I got until now.) The forester/vanguard/pioneer is a nice change from the all-poacher play in the first part, although they are probably performing worse. The big skirmishing abilities you have in this campaign are pure fun (you have saurians, fencers and thieves!). The big maps where you need your ally to help work wonderfully, because the terrain is designed accordingly, even on hard they are not wiped out (as is so common in other campaigns).

I am stuck however on the troll scenario. Minimal gold (as is probably unavoidable throughout the campaign due to short timelimits and 80% carryover system - you need a huge bonus to get anything carried over, that is I have 200 gold), hard difficulty, and a tight turn limit (24) on a mid-size snowy (your fast, elusive, skirmishing units don't work here) map. Good enough recall list, but what works best is probably only recalling the elves and fresh dwarf scouts and drake warriors. I managed to level up most of the surviving recruits to level 3, but even reaching the second leader in time (let alone kill him) looks hard. There are surely better players around, but seriously... I am not that bad. (Well, I will try with more drakes for better damage output and try to force a fast level up for Shoko.) P.S. Better strategy helped.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:Ishlar changes from neutral to lawful upon mounting a horse.
It is a good point. Thank you.:)
Ishlars should be a neutral unit even after becoming a mounted unit.
At the very beginning, I thought it was unique if all three heros of part-one were the different alignments each other. But now, I start feeling that all three should be neutral units...
taptap wrote:Changing the name of Dorset to Dorest is a little strange when there are other campaigns around that use the same map and still call it Dorset. (Son of the Black Eye? Or was it another one?)
There is a true county, named Dorset, in England. We just thought better to avoid using it: Dorset for you
taptap wrote:The campaign uses the old 80% gold carryover method. As starting gold is pretty high and move limits are considerably shorter in hard I found it very hard to get any carryover at all. Do you consider changing to the 40%+starting gold method?
In the future, sure, I might test the case.
taptap wrote:In scenario 5 it isn't at all explained whether entering the cave starts an interlude or wins the scenario.
Entering the cave is an option, so we thought it was okay.
But let me think about it...
taptap wrote:In scenario 5b the dark sorceress has a whopping 90 base income at hard (her forces at peak strength would pretty much fill the whole cave). It is managable if you know about it and rush in with full force, but if you hesitate a single turn there is the potential that you face the necrophages in a bottleneck only 3 hexes wide where making progress against necrophages (when 3 are produced each turn) can be very tedious or outright impossible. In the large open battles the high base income (scenario 6 has about 100 I reckon) produces quite nice effects (constant pressure, AI doesn't go negative and stops recruiting altogether as in other campaigns), but in a cave scenario with bottlenecks where the base income only kicks in after the leader is triggered, I believe this is the wrong way to go. As it gives undue influence to meta-events. (Do you trigger this or the next turn.) I would give her a reasonable income say 20-25 but have her banking from turn 1, this leaves her with enough gold to recruit a huge number of units when you finally reach her, but not these unlimited reinforcements. In 5b the "exit" and where it might be is unexplained. Why can't I leave through the entrance?
Thank you for playing on the hard difficulty.
Yes, it was a kind of bugs. It seemed I had not edited the gold on the scenario since the beginning. It has been adjusted on the new version, 0.9.9. On Capturing Dorest scenario, enemy's incomes have slightly been reduced on the hard difficulty of the new edition, also.
tr0ll wrote:yes if i changed strategy. i knew it was an important (e.g. final) battle so the way i played it i sacrificed units and put some out on a limb to clear a path for Ameck to Gulder in timef or the turn limit, but then he moved and i didnt have resources to fight his new superminions. i would have to play more defensively and take more turns.
Since the version 0.9.8, four turns each has been added on each difficulty level, and the teleporting has been available when the first cave wall phantom is defeated on the scenario. So I think it will be fine on the new edition.:wink:
tr0ll wrote:
SkyOne wrote:P.S. We will appreciate if anyone tells us the difficulty level of this campaign.
with the new/varied units and side changes and tough fights i would say expert.
Good points.:) Sure.
taptap wrote:After the capture of Dorest there are a couple of scenarios that try to harmonize the story. The capture of the elven queen is nice as is, the following two scenarios are just gods jumping out of machines (or the equivalent teleporting silver mage) to kill your senior units. This feels simply wrong (why can a mere silver mage do this when there is a great mage standing next to Baldres) and more importantly not necessary. If you have to do things like this there is some problem with the plot: why must it end with the bad guys being punished, why is Jil even considering talking with the elves when she could defeat them outright, why do they even know the commanders who led the raid when it left no survivors? Hell, why do the orcs make an ambush at the bridge, when they are totally surprised that there are elves, how could they possible expect Jil to ride to this place? No amount of good writing can conceal the unmotivated character of this 180 degree turnaround. The real second part starts long after, Baldres could have died from old age in the meantime, why forcibly kill him, Ishlar and Jil and especially like that?

The fourth of these four scenarios is again good, fighting against two considerable armies (goblins, riders, assassins) with the princess, an elvish champion leader, two unicorns and only scouts as recruits... Just make it independent campaigns, with the fourth of the intermediate scenarios as first scenario of the second one.
Those are all about the new part that has been added later. The part-one used to be ended on scenario 6, Capturing Dorest, then long dialogues showed until part-two.

Well, I guess we should probably talk about this later... :wink:
taptap wrote:The second part has again an unique unit mix. The probably first elven campaign where you can't recruit elves. (At least as far as I got until now.) The forester/vanguard/pioneer is a nice change from the all-poacher play in the first part, although they are probably performing worse. The big skirmishing abilities you have in this campaign are pure fun (you have saurians, fencers and thieves!). The big maps where you need your ally to help work wonderfully, because the terrain is designed accordingly, even on hard they are not wiped out (as is so common in other campaigns).
Thank you.
Selecting and creating the forester/vanguard/pioneer was a desperate measure. I mean that the archers were needed, but the poacher-line had been used on the part-one, and all other archers were unable to use in the story reason. Then I just thought that it was not too strange if there were some archers with neutral alignment. Actually, Khalifates were kind of fitting with them, but unfortunately, they were not in Wesnoth at the time.
taptap wrote:I am stuck however on the troll scenario. Minimal gold (as is probably unavoidable throughout the campaign due to short timelimits and 80% carryover system - you need a huge bonus to get anything carried over, that is I have 200 gold), hard difficulty, and a tight turn limit (24) on a mid-size snowy (your fast, elusive, skirmishing units don't work here) map. Good enough recall list, but what works best is probably only recalling the elves and fresh dwarf scouts and drake warriors. I managed to level up most of the surviving recruits to level 3, but even reaching the second leader in time (let alone kill him) looks hard. There are surely better players around, but seriously... I am not that bad. (Well, I will try with more drakes for better damage output and try to force a fast level up for Shoko.) P.S. Better strategy helped.
On this scenario, the recruitment list of the first Troll is different from the Normal difficulty although the lists are the same in the most of the other sceanrios. Additionally, there is a bug on the scenario until FoaP version 0.9.8. The unit who took the potion is sometimes unable to teleport. Those matters made the scenario more difficult, I think.

On the version 0.9.9, I made a tunnel to teleport, so if you are still on the scenario, updating to the new one won't be a problem to cross with 0.9.8.

Thank you so much for the feedback.
Playing on HARD is definitely helpful for us.:)
taptap

Post by taptap »

Thank you for the answer...

Balance:

Mysterious cave - doable but you have to be fast to get past the bottleneck. (30/60/90 effect in caves)

Capture of Dorest - a lot of pressure but you have an ally that really helps (but is other than your allies in the second part nearly wiped out), maybe change him from 60/40/20 to 60/45/30 and leave the opponents as they are. (180 total income at hard.) My personal problem was of course my greediness earlier so I had only one healer.

Mountain Path - I managed with better strategy - diversion to delay the western trolls arriving, emphasising levelling drakes to deal damage.

Dragon Cave - this one scenario is really impossible... if you choose the southern route which you do 50% of the time. Or did I miss any clue whether north or south is correct?

team_name=dragon
{GOLD 220 250 300}
{INCOME 30 60 90} :augh:
type=Merman Entangler
id=Entangler
name= _ "Murmoroa"

The problem is not the amount of units itself, but unlike Mysterious Cave you can't avoid facing them in a very long (20 hexes) bottleneck (2-3 hexes wide). This doesn't even leave much room for strategy. Even with massive skirmishing there is simply no room to advance fast enough to manage within the turn limit (50).

Other ideas:

Having small icons for remembering which unit got which artifact would be nice. Like you have for the armour in part I. Although I admittedly missed some of them (crystal bow)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:Dragon Cave - this one scenario is really impossible... if you choose the southern route which you do 50% of the time. Or did I miss any clue whether north or south is correct?

team_name=dragon
{GOLD 220 250 300}
{INCOME 30 60 90} :augh:
type=Merman Entangler
id=Entangler
name= _ "Murmoroa"

The problem is not the amount of units itself, but unlike Mysterious Cave you can't avoid facing them in a very long (20 hexes) bottleneck (2-3 hexes wide). This doesn't even leave much room for strategy. Even with massive skirmishing there is simply no room to advance fast enough to manage within the turn limit (50).
Ah, it seems the maximum gold on HARD should be 280, and the income is 80.
I will appreciate if you fix them by yourself because the new version just went to the server. I will change the numbers by following what I said on the next edition.

Defeating the merman leader is not really necessary on the scenario, and I am not the best player, but my strategy on the scenario is that:
- guard the mermen and the serpents at two points as well, then step on the upper rune-sign after taking the key. After making Poseidon and Triton petrify, attack the mermen leader from the behind by using teleported Ameck and some best Drakes you have. You can even recruit flyable drakes by using Serpent leader's keep. Ameck may need to be back to petrify them sometimes in the case though.
taptap wrote:Having small icons for remembering which unit got which artifact would be nice. Like you have for the armour in part I.
The statistic of new weapons shows on the side of the game screen, but one for the armor doesn't, so I just installed the armor icon. There is one for Flame Sword on Dead Water campaign, so it probably won't be too difficult to do for me, though, as long as it doesn't annoy players. Including the potion, there possibly are three icons above a unit. Maybe, the icons are just for the bow and the sword only...?
taptap wrote:Although I admittedly missed some of them (crystal bow)
It sounds me like you probably missed to pick up a Dwarvish Fighter, also. Didn't you? :)

Thanks for keep playing.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I missed about everything :) Where was the dwarvish fighter?

Hydras cave:

When my aim is to move through a scenario I don't kill everything which is in there. In the hydra cave I just moved through killing the northern naga leader and the hydra. Letting some nagas live to fight with the trolls seemed intelligent while playing and worked wonderfully. How can I know what I miss. L2 naga, L2 trolls do nasty damage to saurians / elves / scouts.

Dragons cave:

I played the same way with the northern route. But is there anything which tells me the right way before triggering the event? At least to me this was not clear at all.

Icons:
For the special weapons and armour it would be nice.
Last edited by taptap on February 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

At the end of the scenario dragons cave you get a choice whether you want to go fast with abc or attack Prestim with xyz. As far as I understand this is the question whether you want to play out the conquest of Prestim or not, you can easily misunderstand this as it is presented as an alternative although they are not mutually exclusive... knowing that Greenwood is in danger people may decide to go fast and miss a very nice scenario where you can roll over orcs with L1 drakes thanks to L5 leadership :).

Zlulds last stand was pretty easy. Which is ok, as you come back with battle hardened veterans helping out your people. I finished on turn 13 of 22. But why Zluld has to make a last stand... couldn't he wait two days to return to the city, elves fight so much better in the forest why didn't he retreat as well? No losses for me, but heavy losses for the allies. Maybe it is easier than intended because the elves recruit L1 vs. L2 units that the opponents recruit. Usually L1 give more HP, fighting power etc. for the same amount of gold.

Striking back has a design problem. You are supposed to get at a cave behind all enemy leaders, ok. But when you enter, suddenly units fighting on the other end of the battlefield are in the cave as well... + they don't mind that their troops on the outside will be slaughtered while they go wandering in the underground. I would change the objective here to sth. like move Ameck (or a snow fairy) next to Dessen to break the spell of Gulden. (However you may ask why you couldn't do the same in other scenarios then but maybe they got the idea and an item to make it possible from Eameral.) Lost a ranger and a blademaster here.

I didn't yet finish Fate of a Princess. (A dwarf lord would have been handy here.)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, taptap.
It seems you don't need strategy-chips anymore, but I answer them because someone else is possible to see. In addition, I am guessing that you may re-play from the Hydra Cavern scenario in the future.:)
taptap wrote:I missed about everything :) Where was the dwarvish fighter?
He has been kidnapped by the Hydra at the south-west. So actually, by the point, picking up the Dwarf is more effective than taking the bow for the later battles. Maybe, Turuk (in the game) should mention about him previously.
taptap wrote:Hydras cave:

When my aim is to move through a scenario I don't kill everything which is in there. In the hydra cave I just moved through killing the northern naga leader and the hydra. Letting some nagas live to fight with the trolls seemed intelligent while playing and worked wonderfully. How can I know what I miss. L2 naga, L2 trolls do nasty damage to saurians / elves / scouts.
On this scenario, I think there are several ways to be done as well. I usually defeat two enemies on the west, first, then two groups of my troop attack each of the northern Hydra and the Troll, because these two enemies battle well each other (I mean to let them battle a while).

Turning the alignment of one of Drakes by stepping on Troll Shaman's rune-sign will be interesting. In fact, there is a secret path in Troll's chamber to step on it: - the trolls don't reach at the middle south of the chamber.
taptap wrote:Dragons cave:

I played the same way with the northern route. But is there anything which tells me the right way before triggering the event? At least to me this was not clear at all.
This attachment is how I usually spread the troop (on turn 6):
DC-turn-6.png
From this shot, the northern group will merge with the eastern group after taking the key. And in my case, usually, three Elvish archers (or two archers and Elanglois) with a healer will guard the area where the book is, on current BfW.

The western group doesn't really have to advance quickly until Ameck gets free. So only Háwclyn and some Drakes (maybe, Ameck and Elanglois or Zylvia, too) will reach the Dragon's chamber in my case. Ameck is actually kind of busy on this scenario to fill up the weakness on each troop.

As I said before, you can send some Drakes and Ameck to attack the merman leader from the behind. That may be only the case to defeat him on current BfW. (comparing with some old versions, its ai works really well, and its change has affected a lot particularly on this scenario.)
taptap wrote:Icons:
For the special weapons and armour it would be nice.
Sure.
These are the first version (maybe, too small). I have not tested them yet, but I attach them in a case. You just need to drag and drop them into appropriate folders, such as images/overlays, and replacing the scenario files will be needed:
new-overlays.zip
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
The changes are still too few to update the next edition so far, sorry.

Thank you so much for the feedbacks. We really appreciate it.
I will answer for the rest of them later...
taptap

Post by taptap »

Obviously you know what is awaiting you where... what I meant was: after taking the key, at least I had no indication whether I should take the northern or the southern rune. Maybe I missed it as so much else, but as taking the southern rune means the scenario is unwinnable there should be a rather obvious hint somewhere. I played it very differently though, I had Ameck and a snow fairy and a little backup defending in the west, some units backed up by a healer in the middle and most units went through the back entrance (I didn't know that there isn't much resistance there.), Ameck just teleported in to petrify the mermen guards. I didn't recruit/recall any drakes here.

In the Hydra cavern, one reason of me hurrying and not trying to kill everything was that Turuk explicitly said so. (And obviously there are still some surprises on the last meters that can delay you considerably.) Maybe give a subtle hint via Turuk. As I don't recruit/recall drakes in a cave I would have been in no position to profit from the troll rune as well, it feels wrong to give a bonus only for those who make a mistake, and until reaching the trolls I would have been in negative gold anyway.

The overlays look nice, but I didn't look at them in-game.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:At the end of the scenario dragons cave you get a choice whether you want to go fast with abc or attack Prestim with xyz. As far as I understand this is the question whether you want to play out the conquest of Prestim or not, you can easily misunderstand this as it is presented as an alternative although they are not mutually exclusive... knowing that Greenwood is in danger people may decide to go fast and miss a very nice scenario
Ah, somebody has noticed it before.
I forgot talking about the part with the dialogue director, Simons Mith, at the last time. When he returns, we will probably polish it up although I am not sure when he will return the next time.

But your English seems pretty good. If you give me some English advise for the part, I will install the words although Simons Mith may edit them later.

Back to Greenwood:
Return to Elengavion with Háwclyn, Zylvia and Princess Ameck as soon as possible.
Taking Prestim:
Capture Prestim with Merllow, Falci-Nyess and Ghidsaurs before returning to Elengavion.
For me, they are fine enough though... (I know what you mean was from what you feel, not from the words.)
taptap wrote:where you can roll over orcs with L1 drakes thanks to L5 leadership :) .
Yeah, that is the attraction of the scenario. Thank you for mentioning it.:)
Also, players are supposed to get more gold when they go to the Prestim scenario before back to Elengavion.
taptap wrote:Zlulds last stand was pretty easy. Which is ok, as you come back with battle hardened veterans helping out your people. I finished on turn 13 of 22. But why Zluld has to make a last stand... couldn't he wait two days to return to the city, elves fight so much better in the forest why didn't he retreat as well? No losses for me, but heavy losses for the allies. Maybe it is easier than intended because the elves recruit L1 vs. L2 units that the opponents recruit. Usually L1 give more HP, fighting power etc. for the same amount of gold.
Well, they almost loose the battle there against unexpected two kinds of orcs and cursed humans, and their reinforcements from the northern Greenwood was not able to come (known as Turuk's speech), so not only Zluld, but also all elves would die if the party of Háwclyn did not return timely. Actually, if they did not stop by Dragon's place, Zluld was not supposed to die. I think that the dialogues explain it as well either on this scenario and at the end Coalition of orcs. That is just a story I made up, though, in order to rise up player's motivations to play, before the two big battles.
taptap wrote:Striking back has a design problem. You are supposed to get at a cave behind all enemy leaders, ok. But when you enter, suddenly units fighting on the other end of the battlefield are in the cave as well... + they don't mind that their troops on the outside will be slaughtered while they go wandering in the underground. I would change the objective here to sth. like move Ameck (or a snow fairy) next to Dessen to break the spell of Gulden. (However you may ask why you couldn't do the same in other scenarios then but maybe they got the idea and an item to make it possible from Eameral.)
That will make the dialogue on Epilogue change. In the case, I have to discuss with Simons Mith about it. Elves (side=2) are still in the previous battlefield after side=1 troop gets into the cave. So maybe, adding just one or two sentence(s) on Eämeral's speech will make it fine, I guess.
taptap wrote:Lost a ranger and a blademaster here.
Losing an Elvish Ranger and a Drake Blademaster in this level is not a big problem (as long as they are normal ones) because you only have one cave scenario left to battle, and all enemies are undead on the next scenario. Ice Fairy/Sorceress is the very effective on it (Elvish Enchantress/Sylph is the next).
taptap wrote:I didn't yet finish Fate of a Princess. (A dwarf lord would have been handy here.)
Yes, I have added him later because of this scenario.:)
But I have just found a bug on the scenario: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36123
The undo on the scenario may be impossible on the current edition, 0.9.9 (okay in 0.9.8 ).
taptap wrote:Obviously you know what is awaiting you where... what I meant was: after taking the key, at least I had no indication whether I should take the northern or the southern rune. Maybe I missed it as so much else, but as taking the southern rune means the scenario is unwinnable there should be a rather obvious hint somewhere.
On BfW 1.6 - 1.8, the part was possible to manage. In fact, on the early 1.8, players did not even have to step on the any rune-signs to defeat the merman leader. So the performance of the ai may change in the future. It is a hard part for the UMC creators.

Actually, this Drake Alchemist's speech (when he is rescued) is supposed to be a hint that indicates to recommend stepping on the northern rune. This message only appears when players took the southern rune:
By the way, according to my research, the path you took was harder than stepping on the north rune sign.
Simons Mith did not rewrite this one, so this is exactly what I wrote. That is, yes, unclear. It needs more words.
taptap wrote:I played it very differently though, I had Ameck and a snow fairy and a little backup defending in the west, some units backed up by a healer in the middle and most units went through the back entrance (I didn't know that there isn't much resistance there.), Ameck just teleported in to petrify the mermen guards. I didn't recruit/recall any drakes here.
That is fine.:)
Maybe, recruiting a Drake Glider with the quick-trait-modification on the scenario will be helpful to capture villages on the next few scenarios. His movement will be ten when he advances to level=2 or 3.
taptap wrote:In the Hydra cavern, one reason of me hurrying and not trying to kill everything was that Turuk explicitly said so. (And obviously there are still some surprises on the last meters that can delay you considerably.) Maybe give a subtle hint via Turuk. As I don't recruit/recall drakes in a cave I would have been in no position to profit from the troll rune as well, it feels wrong to give a bonus only for those who make a mistake, and until reaching the trolls I would have been in negative gold anyway.
I actually have already installed words that Turuk mentions about missing a friend in the cave (on the attached one). But Let's see what else I can do...
taptap wrote:The overlays look nice, but I didn't look at them in-game.
Because of the bug I told you, I will update the new edition in near future. So if you can wait a few days (hopefully), you can play a better version.
The bow icon looks okay in the game.:)

Thank you so much for the attention.:)