Golbeeze's RPG - Assassin Quest

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Golbeeze

Golbeeze's RPG - Assassin Quest

Post by Golbeeze »

Thanks for playing my RPG! I would appreciate any feedback regarding any of the following questions:

1. What did you think of it?

2. Did you think it was too easy / hard?

3. What unit(s) did you use?

4. What did you think of the shop?

5. Would you like to see anything added or removed from the shop?

6. Would you like to see more dialogue?

7. What did you think of the riddles?

8. Did you like the branching paths?

9. Did you feel like it had some replayability?

10. Did you go through the maze?

11. Did you do many optional areas?

12. What did you feel was missing?

13. Is there anything you like to see added/removed/altered?

Thanks again!
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
SpoOkyMagician

Re: Golbeeze's RPG - Assassin Quest

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I believe i said it before but I might as well say it again here...

1: Overall, it's pretty good. It's a fairly entertaining RPG. 8/10

2: It depends on the number of players. I tried soloing it and I lost around turn 600. (Really challenging.) However, with 3-5 players, I found it to be somewhat easy to moderate in difficulty. (Due to the increased players/xp required to share among the team/etc. Depending on the team units, it can be somewhat easier. With healers and whatnot.) Overall, it's meant to be played with at least 2-3 players. Soloing is somewhat challenging. (depending on what unit you pick.) But yea... Moving on...

3: Orcish Assassin and Mage. (So far.) I am very picky when it comes to units. I'd prefer elvish archer but, as you said, you didn't include it in the era due to the story. :\

4: The shop overall is good. I like that the fact that it is limited. Letting players getting infinite upgrade would be a problem. The only problem I found was that I was getting a lot of 0 gold from killing enemies. (If i am correct, it was because I leveled up to level 2. I killed units level 2's and below which doesn't give gold until the unit is one level above you. If this is wrong, you may want to check into kills... I kept getting 0 gold for kills.)

5: Added/Removed? Hm... That is a tough call... *Thinks* ...The only thing I can think of is abilities... Other than that, I'd leave it as is...

6: Most players (IMO anyway) Rarely read/pay attention to most of the messages. (Unless they play offline and read it themselves.) I generally accidentally skip messages as well sometimes. I believe there is some idea on how to fix that so that may not be an issue in the future. As for myself, more would be a nice feature but, it's not exactly required. Unless, you really want to build up on the story, I don't recommend adding more.

7: I've only seen the 2 riddles myself. (They are not exactly hard to solve. I have yet to find out what happens if you answer wrong but, I assume something spawns, you take damage, or you have to try again. It's a nice little change/feature to/in the game. I wouldn't mind seeing a "few" more but just don't over do it...

8: Thusfar, I went though the top and bottom teleport on the very bottom right of the map. I managed to lock myself out of the other area when i died so I had to take the other route when I was soloing. I remember the small desert mini boss (drake) gave you an item. However, when I killed the dwarf mini boss, he only had gold. (Unless you changed the item...) I'd recommend letting both leaders give an item instead of gold. But anyway... As for the paths goes, I think they are fine. Oh, I found myself locked out of the final forest once but I didn't know you could reopen it again. I almost posted a bug/flaw until I realized it could be reopened again. xD But yea, I think they are fine.

9: Somewhat. I find it's re-playable for some time. However, I find that the lengthy game somewhat frustrates me still. (Maybe it's just me... I don't know.) I prefer RPG's that last about 100ish turns. Anything longer, just isn't as re-playable... Sometimes simplicity is the key for replay value. (Depends on the game of course.) Although, that is up to you.

10: Yes. I mentioned this before... I find it painstaking long. (But, I find it somewhat required when you have more than 2 players.) In general, there are always a maze like design/level/etc in any game. (speaking globally.) It adds to the replay value because some players may skip parts of the maze to just finish it. Later on, they may think... "I wonder what was over there since I skipped that part of the maze..." Which in itself is intriguing; yet, very true. But anyway, you mentioned you may/may not change the maze. (I forget.) But again, it's up to you to leave it or change it.

11: In all the games I've played thusfar, I did the best I could to explore all the areas I could. (Although, I believe it's impossible to explore everything unless all players go their own way... Which is dangerous...) I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible. Although, it is not exactly necessary. But again, it adds to the replay value. (as mentioned above.) Anyway... Moving on...

12: Hm, now that depends on opinion/preferences... Many RPG's have many different concepts and whatnot... As far as wesnoth goes, there isn't too much you could add to an rpg that would be... "impressive". But anyway... *Thinks* ...Mostly everything I could think of could already be done/included/used from Bob's RPG Era. You could make your own style things like I did with Unwelcome Guests (inventory system, special abilities that use a right click menu, trading, etc...) Although, that is all completely optional. As far as I can tell, it isn't needed but, it may help improve the RPG somewhat...

13: I basically ranted about all that above. There isn't much else for me to say except sorry for keeping my comments so long. :lol2: :roll: But anyway, as said above, the overall concept is fine as is. It's up to you.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Thanks for the feedback Spooky.
Overall, it's meant to be played with at least 2-3 players. Soloing is somewhat challenging
I agree! I've beaten it with two parties of three players. We struggled a bit at points, but we managed to do it. One of the times we completely ignored the maze section, so that is reassuring. I believe you would have to use a high-level unit to solo. It just doesn't seem feasible otherwise, but I didn't design it for solo-play anyhow.
The only problem I found was that I was getting a lot of 0 gold from killing enemies
You get gold for enemies level 3 and higher. I changed it to decrease the income, because initially the units were gaining power really quickly. I am still working on balancing the rate at which you receive gold. I am not so good with macros so it always says 0 instead of just ignoring kills below level 3. Hopefully that will be fixed later.
Added/Removed? Hm... That is a tough call... *Thinks* ...The only thing I can think of is abilities
There are actually abilities hidden throughout the map to be obtained. I don't know if I want to add them to the shop, but it is something to consider for the future.
I managed to lock myself out of the other area when i died so I had to take the other route when I was soloing.
What area did you lock yourself out of? Hopefully it was a place where I purposefully sealed and not a mistake.
I'd recommend letting both leaders give an item instead of gold
Where branches exist, you receive similar treasures. The drake miniboss with a treasure is in an optional area, while the drake with gold is not. The drake with gold is path 1 of 2. The other path also has gold. Just to clear that up!
I find it painstaking long
Indeed! The maze is torture, and that is why there is a warning. Hopefully people will read it instead of wandering around aimlessly inside. Hehehe, there is good stuff in there, but it is really best for people playing with friends who can save / load another night and not go at it for a single sitting. The maze doesn't need to be used at all.

Thanks again, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Golbeeze wrote:What area did you lock yourself out of? Hopefully it was a place where I purposefully sealed and not a mistake.
Sorry, poor choice of words. I was referring to an area I was in that I could not reach anymore. (due to dying...) It was an area from the maze. (The teleport item is removed from the map. I actually didn't test/try to teleport again to the maze because I assumed it only worked when the item was there.)
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Ah ok, then yes. Once the teleporter goes away (from an action, basically the "end" of an area) that area is no longer available. There are also times the way is shut from a choice the player makes along the way.