Gali's Contract

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Gali's Contract

Post by UnwiseOwl »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on? (If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify. Give detailed reviews of as many scenarios as you feel like.)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? Which, if any, parts posed problems that felt like they should not, and which, if any, seemed unintentionally easy? Were the scenario objectives ever unclear?

(3) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? If you have suggestions for rephrasing of certain parts of the dialog that seemed awkward or were grammatically incorrect, post them.

(4) How fun do you think the campaign is? What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

Keep in mind that this campaign relies on the Imperial Era for most of its unit artwork; if you have suggestions for the balancing or artwork of the units, post them in the Imperial Era thread, not here. If you are interested in contributing to this campaign, or in helping develop other campaigns set in the World of Orbivm, post something on the Orbivm forums.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
macherb

Re: Gali's Contract

Post by macherb »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on? (If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify. Give detailed reviews of as many scenarios as you feel like.)
Wesnoth: 1.6.4. Gali: 0.2. Difficulty normal, Scenario 1
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? Which, if any, parts posed problems that felt like they should not, and which, if any, seemed unintentionally easy? Were the scenario objectives ever unclear?
Either I am a really bad player or there is a hidden feature (I could find none in the script) or the scenario is much too difficult. (400 vs 90 Gold?!). Gali and his 6 men (level 1) are much too weak (always -25%) against about 20 outlaws (level 1 and 2).
(3) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? If you have suggestions for rephrasing of certain parts of the dialog that seemed awkward or were grammatically incorrect, post them.
After restarting the 3rd or 4th time much too long.
(4) How fun do you think the campaign is? What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
No fun just frust. The lodestone could give Gali and his men more strength (±0%). There could be some narrow passages (only 1 tile wide), for easier defense. And a bit more gold (>150)

Regards
macherb

some time later....
OK. I found a way to win. But it depends on the AI. If the watchers have space to move away from the keep to allow more watchers to arrive, then there is a chance to kill Sedran Decydon. From then it is easy.
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

Gali's Contract has been ported over to Wesnoth 1.8. Please leave your feedback below or over at the Orbivm forums: http://www.exong.net/orbivm/forum/index.php

Thanks,
Chefu
Current maintainer of the Orbivm project (as of February 2011)
Orbivm Forums
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Id like to second Mach's comment. It appears nigh impossiable and is proably why you haven't had much feedback how are you supposed to beat it?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey there, WanderingHero.
It is a very tricky scenario, and the difficulty doesn't let up much if you get past it, welcome to the Imperial Era.
It is definitely possible to pass this level, attached is a replay of how I did it in Hard mode on the new 1.9 port using Wesnoth 1.9.9 (2nd attempt, I'll admit, I got really unlucky the first time), which is yet to be released while I work out some bugs preventing the later levels from working. Basically, send watchers to grab all the villages so that you have a big income, and bait the outlaws into attacking you on the mountains where you have the tactical advantage. To me, the key points to hold are the mountains next to the village in the southern cavern and the mountain range in the western cavern. If you can keep the good ground then you can cycle your units and hopefully keep a few of them alive, while the outlaws destroy themselves against your fighters and guardsmen on the good ground.
Finally, don't forget that the teleport ability of the watchers makes them incredibly fast, so if you need a stop-gap unit to hold your line, they're your first port of call. I probably use something approaching a 1-1 ratio of watchers to regular dwarvish units in this scenario.
Thanks for trying out the Imperial Era, I heartily recommend Up From Slavery or Fall of Silvium if you're looking for a slightly easier campaign in the era. Don't be fooled by Epic of Vaniyera, it says it's beginner level, but I wouldn't believe it if I were you.
Attachments
GC-Kings_and_Beggars_replay.gz
Gali's Contract, Scenario 1 Kings and Beggars, 1.9.9 Hard
(21.79 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

Hi, I tried playing this but I am getting an error message on startup :

"Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: Cavernei Journeymann"

I'm play Journeyman on a mac and the version is 1.9.10.

Any ideas?

Best Regards
Jim
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hi Jim,
I think I've fixed this one now, but you'll need to download the new version of the campaign from the add-ons server. The error was due to a change in the most recent version of the Imperial Era that should no longer present a problem.
Thanks, wOl.
Njord

Post by Njord »

Hi - I've got basically the same error message as Jim. I'm on a Mac OS X 10.5.8 using Wesnoth 1.9.9. I just uploaded the latest Gali's Contract from the server. I got the error : Error while playing the game: game_error:Could not find the unit being advanced to: Cavernai journeyman. This happened at the scenario "Our Friends in the North". Any ideas?
Attachments
Wesnoth_GaliContract.jpg
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on? (If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify. Give detailed reviews of as many scenarios as you feel like.

GOD DAMNED DIFFICULT EVEN IN EASIEST LEVEL!l cant help myself to ask you: what the hell did you DO with the difficulty??? lt is OBVIOUSLY not balanced!!

P.S. l played harest level and got passed with VERY great cost that you can hardly imagine.

scenerio1 is damned difficult. others, except for the eagle riding scenerio, are difficult on either finace problems or turns limits. compared with difficulty, the objectives can even be ignored because most of them are really IMPOSSIBLE missssssiiiioooonnnnss without LOTS OF LOTS OF save/loads

l think the dialog......it can be more humorous. l cant believe the dwarves would rather revere their ancestors's arts but not to pay enough repect to new technology. this race really loves technology, dont ye' think so?

funny, but not very funny. due to painstakingly restarting scenerios again and again. Another laughable point is that the eagles will "sink" into the lake lol~ :lol2:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I got the same error as Njord.

'Error while playing the game: game_error:Could not find the unit being advanced to: Cavernai journeyman.'

The problem is 'advances_to=Cavernei Journeymann'
because 'id=Cavernei Journeyman' has only one 'n' at the end.

One 'n' to much at the end of Journeyman in the units.cfg of the Cavernei Watcher.

Needs to be fixed.

I played version "0.18.0" with BfW 1.10

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-Imperial_Era
[unit_type]
    id=Cavernei Watcher
    name= _ "Watcher"
    race=cavernei
    image="units/dwarves-cavernei/watcher.png"
    ellipse="misc/ellipse"
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
    hitpoints=34
    movement_type=caverneiwatcher
    movement=6
    experience=36
    level=1
    alignment=neutral
    advances_to=Cavernei Observer,Cavernei Journeymann

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-Imperial_Era
[unit_type]
    id=Cavernei Journeyman
    name= _ "Journeymann"
Last edited by Adamant14 on June 2nd, 2012, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
taptap

Post by taptap »

1st scenario on hard, no save-loads although I ended in positive luck, passive aggressive play with plenty of guardsmen (anyone who still doubts their usefulness is invited to try this scenario without). 110 bonus gold, 6 advancements. It is playable with the right strategy but can be very close early on especially with bad luck. It is a mystery however how to win the second scenario. (It involves dealing a lot of damage rapidly obviously but how?)

2nd scenario on hard is rough. After winning it the first time with heavy losses (several L2 + the loyal + most units overall) I probably have a strategy that allows me to win it, but well. Diversion in the north is the key to thin the lines and break out in the south + fighting in the middle of the cave where you can hit the opponents. If this is achieved in acceptable speed the rest is doable, but the units in the north are probably to be considered sacrifices right away (unless observer line units able to get away). But replicating the success is far from trivial for me.
Attachments
GC-Kings_and_Beggars_replay.gz
(21.05 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I beat it!I finally beat it!This is not so hard as it seems to be, but most scenerios are still too hard to make me think it over whether it need balance.

An unharmful suggestion: please give those polar bears a lv3 rank...they are as tough as lv3 units, but killing each of them only promise me 8 exp, makes me quite disappointed.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Thanks for your feedback, guys, I'll take it onboard when I do a complete review of GC, which shoudn't be too far away. There's a number of things about this campaign (and the Cavernei) that never got implemented, but stick with us and we will get to a stage where this campaign fulfils expectations.
I'm glad that people have stuck with this long enough to find the choke points and work out how to win the earlier levels. Turin obviously had high expecations of the abilities of dwarvish players and the IE campaings are all extremely difficult like this, but doable once you get yourself into the IE mindset.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Thanks god you come back! Please take these suggestions. Might be useful:
1. scenerio1, scenerio2 are too difficult. The enemy come too fast to hold off, and some of them are just simply stucking your way.
2. the scenerio with lots of polar bears is a little difficult. I think the bears should have lv3 rank so at least I can eat some exp back. What's more, these guards swarm out of that cave really annoyed me :annoyed: I think lv2 guards will be already hard enough to handle, but they are lv3...
3. the scenerio, which the forst elves besiege that thief and you are trying to kill them all and get your sword... :| Well, objectively speaking this scenerio has a fatal design flaw. This scenerio hardly makes sense for after you getting the sword you will have to kill those elves to the last man. I have been taking those dialogues of sameness enough; whatever the steward says, you say "But oh yes you are right they must not survive" bulabulabula...That only makes those dwarves look to be very silly and unwitting.
Let alone it is a little too hard. The turns are limited, but you cannot form a decent army quickly, since your keep only have two hexes... :whistle:
4. the eagles should be remodified. Their animation, drowning on drowned terrian, and receive only 20% dodge rate really makes no sense.

Friendly :)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I can agree with all of those.
I think that GC was the last campaign that Turin made for the IE before he left, and it's a little underdone, but with a bit of work it could be a nice little campaign.