Epic of Vaniyera

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Re: Epic of Vaniyera

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I am so curious about who is maintaining the other Imperial campaigns, because The Fall of Slivia is a bit hard as well. Not suggesting to change to difficulty too much, just make them beatable on normal luck and normal strategies would be fine, but I would suggest you guys to mark the difficulty as "expert".
Yup, I'm the maintainer for everything Orbivm related, or at least as close as it comes. That's the Imperial Era and Wild Era, and all the campaigns (except Invasion of Arendia), as well as the Feudal era if I ever get it off of the ground again.

One thing that I would point out about Fall of Silvium is that it is definitely not beatable by 'normal strategies', the reason being that the Lavinians are not a normal faction. The regular strategies of holding the 'good' terrain don't apply because the Lavinians are actually weakened by the terrains that most units like. You have to hold the 'good' terrain with your auxilliaries or cavalry and use your damage-dealers from the plains or hills. It takes some getting used to, but once you do, even in its current form, Fall of Silvium is a very doable campaign. Anyway, if you'd like to talk about FoS, better head over to its thread, this one is about EoV.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Hm, I guess you missed my point. What "normal strategies" I mean is exactly the normal strategies for Lavinians, basically fight on plains as much as possible and no let the enemy take the advantage of terrians. I only want to mention that Imperial campaigns are always harder than usual.

Back to the topic. I guess EoV should be balanced by a balanced era. The current Imperial needs some improvements, because all races are designed to be on a greater standard than default era; but Sidhes are somehow just as strong as default factions, sometimes even weaker. So I guess if we balance the factions at first the balance work shall be easier. Other issues focus on enemy starting gold, tough recruitments(dealing tough damage while you have no healers), scarce villages or villages distributed everywhere(village grabbing became hard, results in bad economy. And that is a problem of no healers as well...), and reinforcements.

Besides, letting Dark Elves to recruit auxlias looks wierd, even if they choose to serve you rather than being the living shields of Lavinian Legions. I doubt whether it is necessary.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Actually, I find the auxilla incredibly useful in Retribution, if only because they are neutral. I use them to push during the day and guard my fragile chaotic units, and the lack of upkeep and general cheapness is a definite point in their favour. From a story perspective, in the re-write that I'm currently doing, I've emphasised that adopting them into the elves is Faolan's idea, as Vaniyera is a bit of a xenophobe, even in these early days.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Good idea. You must have noticed that in Lavinian legion, legionairres are never good damage dealers. Most probably we use siegearchers and auxlias to make damage, sometimes use lancers because they are really cheap, and flank the edge by legionairres as tanks.

Too bad that AI does not know this point. :D But killing Lavinians is still a heavy work for Dark Elves. Legionairres can slow raindancers, and they are cheaper; siegebows can hardly get killed, even if u have two rage furys. So I guess the problem of most Imperial campaigns' balance issues are but era balance issues, not their own problems.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i am finding it impossible to get past the L3 ghosts when they go to visit the tomb of the famous elf
maybe its because only my 2 leaders are L3 and the best recallable units are L2. i hate having to replay previous scenarios just to fix that. maybe scenarios like this outght to be dynamically populated with enemy based on the difficulty AND the player's recall list.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Which difficulty level are you playing at?
I've scaled back the ghosts melee damage in the development version, which should make this level less touch and go, and I've also messed with the ghost generating formula to make it a little less perilous for those playing on easy...
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 15th, 2012, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

The feedback thread for Alfhelm isn't locked. See: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24357 for feedback, for development there is another thread for all IE campaigns together superceding the old individual development threads.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Oh yeah I nearly forget it. I will move the post there. :)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Which difficulty level are you playing at?
I've scaled back the ghosts melee damage in the development version, which should make this level less touch and go, and I've also messed with the ghost generating formula to make it a little less perilous for those playing on easy...
normal
thanks for listening to feedback!
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

There's been a substantive rewrite to this campaign, the maps and story remain the same, but balance and dialogue has been almost completely redone, so I'm soliciting comment on the new version from anybody, whether or not you played the old version. Epic of Vaniyera isn't that epic timewise, especially now that I've cut out the final level and made the easy levels...easier, so it should be playable in a decent length session. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback, most of all on the points below, but any other suggestions you'd care to give would be great.

Please keep in mind that this campaign relies on the Imperial Era for most of its unit artwork and balancing. If you are interested in contributing to this campaign, era, or in helping develop other campaigns set in the World of Orbivm, please post in the relevant threads or drop me a private message.

Scenario 0 - Camp of Lavinium
(1) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue with regards to the campaign setting?

(2) Do you feel the dialogue expresses the nature of the various characters?

Scenario 1 - Ambush
(1) What difficulty did you play the scenario on? Have you played it previously on this or any other difficulty level?

(2) What unit mix did you employ? Did you use furies? Did they die?

(3) How many turns did it take you? What tactics did you employ? How difficult did you find the scenario on a scale of 1 (taking candy from a baby) to 10 (childbirth)? Were there any aspects that seemed too easy/difficult for the campaign rating?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?

(5) Would you make any changes in order to help new players learn the basics of Sidhe tactics against the Marauders, or would you prefer to just fight and work them out for yourself?

(6) How enjoyable, on a scale of 1 (watching paint dry) to 10 (bullfighting) did you find the scenario? In your opinion, how could this level be improved?

Scenario 2 - Too Late
(1) What difficulty did you play the scenario on? Have you played it previously on this or any other difficulty level?

(2) What unit mix did you employ? Did you use furies? Did they die?

(3) How many turns did it take you? What tactics did you employ? How difficult, on a scale 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? Were there any aspects that seemed too easy/difficult for the campaign rating?

(4) Did you defeat the auxilla? How many turns did it take you?

(5) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? Did you feel that the portrayal of the relationship between the Lavinians and auxilla worked, or how would you improve it?

(6) Would you make any changes in order to help new players learn the basics of Sidhe tactics against the Lavinians, or would you prefer to just fight and work them out for yourself?

(7) How enjoyable, on a scale of 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? In your opinion, how could this level be improved?

Scenario 3 - Just in Time

(2) What unit mix did you employ? Have you given up on furies yet?

(3) How many turns did it take you? What tactics did you employ? How difficult, on a scale 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? Were there any aspects that seemed too easy/difficult for the campaign rating?

(4) If you had the chance, would you make any changes to the AI behaviour, either allied and enemy?

(5) How many of your allies and Athus' units survived?

(6) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? Did you feel that the interplay between, Sidhe, Lavinian and Auxilla worked, or how would you improve it?

(7) How clear did you find the mission objectives? What would you change?

(8) How enjoyable, on a scale of 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? In your opinion, how could this level be improved?

Scenario 4 - Remnants of the Past

(2) What tactics did you employ? How difficult, on a scale 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? Did you feel the sceptres were too weak/strong?

(3) What units were autorecalled for you? Did you feel that the units recruited were enough to win the level?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? Are you interested in the story of the Hero of Old?

(5) How clear did you find the mission objectives? What would you change?

(6) How enjoyable, on a scale of 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? In your opinion, how could this level be improved?

Scenario 5 - Retribution

(2) What unit mix did you employ? Did you leave Vaniyera behind to recruit or bring him to the front line?

(4) How many advanced units did you lose? Were you forced to save/reload?

(5) Did you feel that the Imperator's reinforcement guards and hippos were fair? Did you feel like they appeared too suddenly, giving you not enough opportunity to respond?

(6) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? Did anything feel forced or particularly unnatural?

(7) How clear did you find the mission objectives? What would you change?

(8) How enjoyable, on a scale of 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? In your opinion, how could this level be improved?

Epilogue
(1) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue?

(2) Do you feel the dialogue expresses the nature of the various characters?

(3) This level is pretty unpolished. What would you change?

SFault

Post by SFault »

UnwiseOwl wrote: 
Scenario 4 - Remnants of the Past
 (2) What tactics did you employ? How difficult, on a scale 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? Did you feel the sceptres were too weak/strong?
 (3) What units were autorecalled for you? Did you feel that the units recruited were enough to win the level?
 (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? Are you interested in the story of the Hero of Old?
 (5) How clear did you find the mission objectives? What would you change?
 (6) How enjoyable, on a scale of 1 to 10, did you find the scenario? In your opinion, how could this level be improved?

(1) The easiest one. First time I play this campaign.
(2) I tried rushing to the goal, I tried luring the ghost away, I tried to kill them. All failed. Compared to the previous scenarios the difficulty just launched to the skies. I would give 9/10 on the difficulty. It seems doable, but with great losses and most likely needs a great amount of luck. I would imagine that on easiest level this wouldn't be so hard. The ghosts are pretty though. Only units that can really harm them are the mages, but they die quickly when they get backstabbed.
(3) The main dude, the master and one leader from the previous scenario
(4) I'm rarely interested in the story
(5) I think is clear. Take the master to the grave looking hex.
(6) About 1. I move the master on the first round and two ghost surround him dealing over 50 damage and kill him instantly in one round. Great fun...
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art