Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: Invasion from the Unknown

Post by taptap »

The code for protection ability of the flagbearer line of the Aragwaithi is broken (the same as the Trollish warbanner in TSoG) as it cut the resistance to 50% regardless how high it was before. So ghosts become more vulnerable to cold.

Just before the final against the Shadow Master there is a scenario where I can't recall but recruit skeletons. Those skeletons levelled up to L2, L3 but are too lazy to come to the next scenario with me. :) I mean, they were probably as good as the support of the famous dead knight dramatically invoked by Mal Keshar.

Over all the second part is more a puzzle than anything else and much less fun than the first part. Little real battles (totally unlike say UtBS or part I where you had at least some). One of the scenarios that probably should have been a battle "The Heart" was exceptionally easy because it is all so static. The AI has some intimidating units but only uses them when you trigger them one by one. All units that come to you are some L1. In the caves it is just endless working through the caves and unless you accidentally trigger some [censored] event when all other units moved already there is little challenge.

Given how important the plot is to the whole campaign some dialogs in the last scenarios are extraordinary unconvincing. (Oh yes, I surely would spare the life of the person who is personally responsible for about 2/3 of the unit losses in the campaign. Oh yes, I surely would try to resurrect the shadow master whom I barely managed to killed. And of course even the shadow master is capable of redemption in the last minute. *sigh*)

Minor stuff: In the last scenarios the replays are all saved over each other is there any inconvenience in naming the plot scenarios differently? If you play through starting in part I you only get part I marked in the campaign selection after finishing both parts, but not part II.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

l would mention something again here in case u don't read carefully of those parts of personal messages which make praise and compliments on your job: u really forget to organize Elynia's animation, bro :wink:
Aleph

Post by Aleph »

I am a member of the Italian translating team, and having translated this campaign I have some stuff to report.

First of all, there are few strings in the code which don't appear in the .po: this is due to an error in the textdomain. This problem should involve the descriptions of two units only, the Drone (units/shaxthal/Drone.cfg) and the Drone Sentry (units/shaxthal/Drone_Sentry.cfg), in which the textdomain is After the Storm instead of Invasion from the Unknown. For what concerns the Drone, anyway, the string does not miss: it's simply replaced by another one which could be the older one. If I may make a suggestion, I would keep this older one, which simply says that no information is available about such creatures as no one has ever seen them, instead of the full description given in the new one. According to the story, nothing is known about Shaxthals till the Argazar people's glyphs are found, so in AtS it does make sense to have the description, while in IftU it would be reasonable not to have one.

Secondly, I think I found some mistakes in few strings. Some of them concern the meaning of the string or the whole context, while others are about grammar or so. I may be wrong about some parts: I'll just report them, in case I am wrong indeed, just forgive me. The strings are:

- macros/storytxt.cfg, line 489: "we were" should be "they were", as Galas is talking about his people while he's far away;

- scenarios/03_Memories_from_the_Depths.cfg, line 292: "I could swear I read his name in old scrolls about the Golden Age, but I’m not sure." this is quite nonsense: if one could swear something, then he is sure of what he's talking about;

- scenarios/07_The_Elf_and_Goliath.cfg, line 353: "We should be determine its nature" -> "We should determine its nature";

- scenarios/07_The_Elf_and_Goliath.cfg, line 785: in "You find yourself before a giant" I would say "in front of" instead of "before";

- scenarios/10_The_Source_of_Light.cfg, line 1448: "[...] he was a real fool by sparing the life of this elf [...]" (I preferred not to report the whole string as it is quite long, and it makes no sense at all without the context anyway) I really can't understand who Elynia's talking about: who was a real fool? And who's the elf whose life was spared? Maybe the dialogue has been changed in an inconsistent way, so that some parts are not clear. In the same way, at line 1609, Elynia says "Eons ago, they established themselves as the sole authority for elves of all other countries", but, as you can check, there is no reference to make clear who "they" are. Moreover, I think that something should be added between lines 1734 and 1739: it is clear what happens, but the dialogue looks somewhat incomplete;

- scenarios/11_Strike_on_New_Knalga, line 702: "May you succeed in vanquishing this evil, and have obtain peace in the future!" the verb "have" should be eliminated;

- units/elves-wood/Hunter.cfg, line 31: a P is missing in "opponents";

- units/human/Aragwaith_Sorcerer.cfg, lines 20 and 98: a T is missing in "in front";

- units/imps/Blood.cfg, line 17: "an lonely" -> "a lonely";

- units/monsters/Hound_Hell, line 26: "Because it is not common for these hounds to acquire enoguh experience to evolve this further, as their frantic attacks usually harms them to death" seems like something is missing;

- units/orcs-steppe/Icewind_Drover.cfg, line 18: "sufficiant" -> "sufficient". Moreover, in "With age and experience in the control of elemental magics." something is missing.

I apologize for the very long post, and hope it will be useful.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Big bro from Santiago:
when l saw that guy's post above me, a impulse inside was ignited--l wanna help u translate the IftU into traditional Chinese. l have already got schools martricated, and l will be completely free for the near two weeks. If u can send me the oringinal document of all dialogues, l can finish them with great high quality within two weeks. Ok?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

People seem to be under the impression that I’m still the maintainer despite repeated statements to the contrary everywhere (including the original development topic), so I have transfered this topic’s ownership to Espreon accordingly.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

But your add-on was sighed your name... :oops: who would u think we shall find someone to fix IftU problems without knowning the current maintainer's name but all know that well-known name shadowmaster? :mrgreen:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

AxalaraFlame wrote:without knowning the current maintainer's name
It is in the topic. And in the add-ons server description for IftU. And in the credits.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

This only applies to Part 1, as I haven't played Part 2 yet.

1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
Normal difficulty, campaign version 1.90.6, game version 1.10.1

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)
Mostly about 5-6, rising to 9 in a few places (the big set-piece battles against multiple Chaos enemies)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?
8, except when Anlinde stays behind to delay the Chaos general - that gets a 2, because it is never explained that you can only end it by dying.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
Dialog 8 - generally very well written, but some slight grammatical errors.
Storyline 10 - in terms of plot, this is the best campaign I have played by far.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
Mainly my own tactical incompetence - I really struggled to keep many units alive for more than a couple of battles, and often had to use fresh recruits rather than veterans.

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
9 - very little room for improvement, but see below.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
The scenario where you must activate the six glyphs drags a bit - I would probably have made the map a bit smaller or used a few less enemies, as even once you know where the glyphs are it can still take ages to get to them all. Also, I would change the scenario with Anlinde and the Chaos general - either add a way of genuinely winning, or at least explain that you can't defeat him (her?)

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
A few, already mentioned above by Aleph.

Other than a couple of small issues, I have enjoyed this campaign more than any other I have played - thanks to the creator and maintainer, for a job very well done!
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Strange things happening on 1.11 - what is difficulty UNTLB (this is the difficulty as shown in the savegames)? Is this 1.11 bug or has this anything to do with IftU? Strangely shifting difficulties between scenarios as well played 1 at hard, but scenario 2 had the turn limit and gold of normal... is this a feature or a bug?

I also wonder in scenario 2, there is a heroic bonus according to the objectives, but i have never seen it. Is there one?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It’s an engine bug, namely #20106 [Gna.org], awaiting to be solved for 1.11.1 currently solved in trunk.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Three bugs - in current IftU.

1) At the start of the second episode there is dialog regarding a dwarvish armour - but I don't get the armour. There is no change at all to Galas' resistences and no armour to be picked despite lengthy talk about this armour. (Galas is a marshal with the ring of regeneration in my case.)

2) Elynias slowing attack has a broken attack animation, it gives a blinking Elynia on the hex of the enemy.

3) In the interlude the NPC-Aragwaithi use old sprites not those of the current Aragwaithi - especially obvious in the case of the Longswordman, but the others too. I wonder why this is the case, as the rest of the campaign was updated as far as I know with the new sprites.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

(3) is based on the assumption that the ‘new’ sprites in the campaign are those posted by wayfarer a few months ago and used in AtS and the The Aragwaithi add-on.

They are not. They are an older and incomplete attempt (also by wayfarer) to refresh the Aragwaithi sprites back in 2007, when they were used by Extended Era.

I believe this particular point will be solved for the next release, since I saw Espreon doing something with the Aragwaithi WML and sprites a week ago or so.

(As is the norm nowadays, I’m not speaking as the maintainer here but as the author instead.)
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

Is this forum for episodes I or II or both.

I have played both versions - 1.90.6 on Wesnoth 1.10.2

Before and when the hero's encounter Argan in the lair I found the enemies overwhelming for an easy level and the turns allotted anemic. I had to tweak some things to get through. You might get more downloads by mellowing out the easy levels. I found the storyline intriguing.

22b~23b

Overall I found the storyline fascinating and the dialog OK. But on some scenarios the opposition seemed overwhelming, graphics are good but need more development. I'd give it a 7.

I am currently playing the associate: To lands Unknown.

I have played all "After the Storm" Campaigns, 0.82 which was interesting too. I am looking forward to the sequel after the 3 part.

And I have played Under the Burning suns. Nice Campaign. But I hated the graphics of the characters.

I didn't like the graphic of Galas, he appeared too feminine to be a hero, if you catch my drift.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

To Lands Unknown has absolutely no relation to UtBS, IftU, or AtS.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

shadowmaster wrote:To Lands Unknown has absolutely no relation to UtBS, IftU, or AtS.

But it was mentioned in one of them as a game to play to understand the whole deal with the invasion. And it does involve that other universe. Graphics are quite different in this campaign, more of like a 2d paint job. But character icons are like those in the other campaigns. Very different game. :D