Bad Moon Rising & Trinity

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

averyimaginativename

Re: Bad Moon Rising & Trinity

Post by averyimaginativename »

Nicely done and handled well too - it doesn't feel like it was placed there after the fact even though I know it was.

I'll wait till I've finished Trinity before giving proper feedback for that, but since I'm posting anyway, I just wanted to say I really like Bresda's portrait. Your best yet, IMO.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
DragonOne

Re: Bad Moon Rising & Trinity Payback

Post by DragonOne »

Though I have been playing Wesnoth for a while, I am new to the forums so bear with me.

Is there a separate thread to go to for help on specific playing problems? I have finished all the set campaigns on easy have have moved on to the add-ons. For some reason I just can't get pass Payback in Part 1. I am playing on a Mac, version 1.9.5 on Easy and by the time I get Scarrion south there are 6 to 10 level 3s to fight and I can't get through them whether I attack or not (and in no time there are dozens). Have tried everything I can think of.

If this is the wrong forum for such a basic question, I would appreciate it if you could direct to the proper place.

Thanks for your time.

BTW love your artwork.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

DragonOne wrote:If this is the wrong forum for such a basic question, I would appreciate it if you could direct to the proper place.
Sure. See the link in my signature.
DragonOne wrote:For some reason I just can't get pass Payback in Part 1. I am playing on a Mac, version 1.9.5 on Easy and by the time I get Scarrion south there are 6 to 10 level 3s to fight and I can't get through them whether I attack or not (and in no time there are dozens). Have tried everything I can think of.
In general, use Scarrion as the attacker and get him to move south as fast as possible. The Primevals with him are basically scouts and not very rugged, so feed them experience as you can and use them to shut off the side caves, but keep them near Scarrion and Scarrion should do most of the fighting. When you are near the bottom of the map, it is much easier if you still have a couple of the Primevals alive.

Hope that helps.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
DragonOne

Post by DragonOne »

doofus-01 wrote:In general, use Scarrion as the attacker and get him to move south as fast as possible. The Primevals with him are basically scouts and not very rugged, so feed them experience as you can and use them to shut off the side caves, but keep them near Scarrion and Scarrion should do most of the fighting. When you are near the bottom of the map, it is much easier if you still have a couple of the Primevals alive.

Hope that helps.
I had tried your strategy several times but the results were all the same. The best I was able on turn 10 I shut off the last side cave and had all 3 of my prims. I was facing 3 Revenants, 3 Bone Shooters, 3 Deathblades, and a Draug on one of the turrets. By turn 14 I have lost 2 prims and leveled up the other and though I am killing two undeads almost every turn I am now facing 11 undeads of various level 2s. Turn 17 the prim and Scarrion are both killed - at that time there are 14 undeads on the board though I have killed 14 or 15.

Since I am playing on easy is it possible that there are too many undeads being released. If not, I must suck even more than I thought.

Thanks for the help.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't have a start-of-scenario save, so I can't really check. From the code, it doesn't look like EASY should be worse than NORMAL. And closing off all the side tunnels by turn 10 with three Primevals alive sounds pretty good. I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Two more guesses:
1. If you are fighting green team, there is still a side tunnel open. You can't defeat green team, so that could cause trouble.
2. Can you get Scarrion to level a couple of times? That way he heals. He did most of the killing when I played it, and if he didn't full-heal, I wouldn't have made it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Kewltist

Post by Kewltist »

So I tried beating thse wonderful campaigns normally (on normal difficulty) after savescumming through them last year and it's just.. ouch
Many of your scenarios require one specific tactical approach that you propably had in mind while designing them which i kinda fail to guess out..

Examples i'm stuck at:
BMR2 The Rescue (?) the bad dewds are capturing the villages WAY too fast and it leads to girls showing up by.. 3rd turn? If heroic dude with pitchfork 3-\o/ manages to hold a village for a turn.. then 4 or 5..
by that time most of my guys aren't even there so archerettes are skewered by the growling mass opf spearmen from north camp..

I tried rushing in, falling back to snowy forest, trying A LOT of postitional tricks and nothing worked >_< I managed to get through it by rushing to kill northern guy, losing everything with loyals and stuff and killing him with second wave (after i lost all my units i had enough income to afford it) but i think im doing it wrong XD
Camp (3rd chapter) is much easier cause thre are points that are easy to hold while Korkath is mostly flat field and there's nowhere you can hide during the day!

or Trinity 1 (normal also) - flat fields with a river, yay! So i tried holding the western bank, that workd well.. for about 4 turns =P then the woodsmen from north made it clear i shouldn't even try such things. Okay. So I tried rushing through the river and trying to break through there.. that went bad but t least Prince could run past the line after a while, I ran for about 3 turns with wounded "troll" and prince until he met local leader, then died in a single turn =P
also the beginning is too dependant on luck o_o maybe change the javeliner for something less annoying?
Attachments
Tri-Prince_Haldrad_and_The_..._replay.gz
(25.51 KiB) Downloaded 628 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Kewltist wrote:BMR2 The Rescue (?) the bad dewds are capturing the villages WAY too fast and it leads to girls showing up by.. 3rd turn? If heroic dude with pitchfork 3-\o/ manages to hold a village for a turn.. then 4 or 5..
Yeah, they do show up a bit too soon, I could put in a delay.
Kewltist wrote:or Trinity 1 (normal also) - flat fields with a river, yay! So i tried holding the western bank, that workd well.. for about 4 turns =P then the woodsmen from north made it clear i shouldn't even try such things. Okay. So I tried rushing through the river and trying to break through there.. that went bad but t least Prince could run past the line after a while, I ran for about 3 turns with wounded "troll" and prince until he met local leader, then died in a single turn =P
also the beginning is too dependant on luck o_o maybe change the javeliner for something less annoying?
(Uhgh, Trinity, don't remind me...) I didn't think it was that bad, but maybe you're right, the first group of enemies could be "difficulty scaled" a bit better.

Thanks for the feedback.
therealtylerdurden

Post by therealtylerdurden »

I would like for this campaign to be on the mainline. It sounds very interesting. Do you think that will ever happen?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, thank you (I think - "sounds"?). In any case, it will never be mainline.
Erdorean

Post by Erdorean »

Great campaign but in BMR2 Rescue, Carusoe is almost impossible to hit, reguardless of the chance to hit ratio displayed
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You're the second person, that I remember at least, to complain about that, though I didn't think it was the case. Upon review, it turns out that I set it so you cannot kill him too early...

The turn numbers may need tweaking, I don't think it is unreasonable. I don't think most people would notice and it prevents glitches. If you are really steam-rolling the enemy, you are either too skilled or too lucky for me to balance for anyway. What difficulty and turn number are you at?
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

I don't have a replay that old, but basically, if you recruit mostly dogs and runners then when the leaders come out of their keeps to raid the villages, you can put a unit on each keep, then ZoC the leaders, and have them ready to kill by turn 5.

I don't remember what difficulty I played on now, but it doesn't matter much, because the AI only gets to recruit one keep each.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh, oops. You used to be able to do a similar thing with the peasant, guess I didn't patch that leak as well as I should have. I'll preempt such shenanigans in a future version.

Thanks.

EDIT: It should be fixed now, in svn. It will be in next release.
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

in scenario "Fund Rising" in BMR3 if you kill general that holding a hostage with a berserk attack of the attack dog, you have normal dialog, as if you win the scenario and hostage says "I am ok", you get the gold, orc says you can pass, but it's ending with defeat.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

What version are you using? There used to be a condition that attacking with melee weapons would cause a loss, but it seems I removed that, in the BfW 1.9/1.10 version at least. It is probably still in the BfW 1.8 version, but that is not being updated anymore. If you are playing 1.8, attack with ranged weapons, don't use melee (like dog bites).