Bad Moon Rising & Trinity

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RockScorpion

Re: Bad Moon Rising & Trinity

Post by RockScorpion »

In Royal Rumble (BMRII) the southern cavalry after it appears it didn't move at all. I'm playing the last version of the campaign with 1.7.13.
Wesnoth Italian Forum

Forgive bad English
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

FaiKHR wrote:Maybe i've missed something but on 'Sign' I now have undead with me, where did they come from?
They are with Dolevan, who is with you. If that was unclear, the dialogue should be revised.
RockScorpion wrote:In Royal Rumble (BMRII) the southern cavalry after it appears it didn't move at all. I'm playing the last version of the campaign with 1.7.13.
When that was first brought to my attention, I couldn't figure out what I did wrong and hoped it was an engine bug. That was many versions ago, so even if it is an engine bug (unlikely), it's not going to fix itself. I'll look at it again.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
FaiKHR

Post by FaiKHR »

doofus-01 wrote:
FaiKHR wrote:Maybe i've missed something but on 'Sign' I now have undead with me, where did they come from?
They are with Dolevan, who is with you. If that was unclear, the dialogue should be revised.
RockScorpion wrote:In Royal Rumble (BMRII) the southern cavalry after it appears it didn't move at all. I'm playing the last version of the campaign with 1.7.13.
When that was first brought to my attention, I couldn't figure out what I did wrong and hoped it was an engine bug. That was many versions ago, so even if it is an engine bug (unlikely), it's not going to fix itself. I'll look at it again.

Thanks.
I'm confused as to where he came from too. I can only comment upon the older version i played though so i'll go through the new one when i can and see. :)
Twixx

Post by Twixx »

The first campaign (the prologue) I can't get past the first turn. I move the guys, get attacked by a troll and they die without me doing anything.

Am I doing something wrong? I move them, one dies, and then I'm defeated...

Going up I get attacked by a big troll which kills me in one turn, if I go right I get attacked by 5 small trolls which kill me in 2 turns. Did I miss a turn somewhere? I don't really want to go through the intro again to find it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Go down, past the water.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
gabba
Inactive Developer

Post by gabba »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

I played those on normal:
I / Abandoned
I / From Bad To Worse
I / Join the Dark Side

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)
5 - hard at first, but each scenario was more like a puzzle, that gets very easy once you solve it.
I / Abandoned: I put a unit on every village, and they could have lasted forever against the undead. The dwarf upgraded to lvl. 3.
I / From Bad To Worse: easy once I figured the ghosts kept coming back :P
I / Join the Dark Side: I kept running away from the undead while they got decimated by the primevals, who eventually killed the undead boss.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?
Very clear except for Join the Dark Side, but discovering what I really needed to do on the fly was fun. The various hints of "you're underpowered just run" were useful.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
Excellent, top-quality dialog.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
Figuring out the trick to survive in every scenario.

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
None that I could find, congrats.
pixnaps

Post by pixnaps »

Not sure whether this intended or not, but in 'Rescue' [BMR part 2] the archers don't appear if the opponent doesn't bother to capture all the villages. (This may happen, for example, if your initial peasant flees to the far village, and your main units come forward to engage the enemy troops before they kill the defending peasant.)

This seems unfortunate, since it penalizes the player for doing a good job of defending the villages. Perhaps you should add an alternative turn-based trigger for the archers to ambush the opponent if they haven't captured all the villages by the 10th turn or something?

Note also that it currently leads to nonsense dialogue at the end of the scenario, when your leader tries to talk to the non-existent archers...

[running bmr 0.9.6, wesnoth 1.7.14]
pixnaps

Post by pixnaps »

Serious bug: in BMR part 2, I fled to the forest to the West (as per instructions), landing in the forest hex between the road and a castle hex. There I fought some orcs, and after emerging victorious, I landed *back in the starting city* of the main map (instead of the forest hex where I belonged), with no explanation why I had been teleported in this way.

It even told me to go visit the archer city again, even though I'd already rescued the archers. (I'm tempted to try it, just to see what happens when I recall Reanna to rescue herself! Will a duplicate version of her appear?) Shouldn't cities be "closed off" after you've already completed the relevant scenario?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

pixnaps wrote:Not sure whether this intended or not, but in 'Rescue' [BMR part 2] the archers don't appear if the opponent doesn't bother to capture all the villages.
No, it's not intended. I'll look at it again.
pixnaps wrote:Serious bug: in BMR part 2, I fled to the forest to the West (as per instructions), landing in the forest hex between the road and a castle hex. There I fought some orcs, and after emerging victorious, I landed *back in the starting city* of the main map (instead of the forest hex where I belonged), with no explanation why I had been teleported in this way.
Someone else had a similar problem a while back, but I was not able to reproduce it. I'll try again, but if you have save-games you could post, it would help.

Thanks.
pixnaps

Post by pixnaps »

I've attached start-saves for
BMR2-Skirmish.gz
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
(the attack that occurred when I landed on the forest hex) and
BMR2-Ukiah.gz
(10.7 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
(where I ended up after victory in the skirmish).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, I've finally found out what's going on with the repeating archers scenario. Going to the area near the ruins hex triggers an event that takes you to the next scenario. But if you also get attacked by the random orc skirmish, you go to the skirmish and not the next scenario and that screws up all of the variables. I'll upload a fixed version when I can (replacing the snow pine forest with some other terrain so the orcs won't attack - probably snow mixed forest), but for now you can get around this by either playing from a save before you walked near the ruin hex or the BMR2-Ukiah save above and try walking there again until you don't hear lightning and do not get taken to an orc scenario.
-----------------------------------
On a separate note: This sub-forum was supposed to be for reviews. This is the place for bug-reports. Scattering the information across two threads makes it harder to keep a handle on what is going on, and probably makes more painful reading for those who wanted to read reviews. Bug reports are valuable, but please don't post them in here. Pixnap is not the first person to post a bug report here, I should have said something sooner.

Thanks.
pixnaps

Post by pixnaps »

Ok, thanks for the pointer (and sorry about the forum mix-up -- I'm new here!)
judobuddha

Post by judobuddha »

Trying to finish Bad Moon Rising, IV, and am stuck.

Playing Easy level (I like to play easy, than replay at Medium or Hard, to get the storyboard in my head. I really like to focus on the story, not just slash somebody, and get gold.)

Wesnoth Version - 1.6.5 for windows (windows 7)

Can't get past Bad Moon Rising 4

When I played all sides, I got stuck at Dan Tock (Khthon)

Then I tried to replay all again separately, and got stuck at:
Loyalists (The Sign) get a scenario failure "unknown scenario: '3_h06'
Primeval (The Navy of Elensefar) get a scenario failure "unknown scenario: '3_p06'
Khthon (Dan Tock) unknown scenario: 'p05'

I have played these through, then went to debug n, replayed the level where am I stuck, etc., and can't seem to get around these.

Someone said you needed to have an "Archaic Era", which I do not have, and it is not an add in anymore.

I did everything but unistall Battle for Wesnoth.

Overall, it’s a great campaign, and I really like the evolution of the story over the campaigns. Just trying to finish this one...

Thanks
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Unfortunately, you have hit the end - Part IV is not finished and I am no longer working with BfW 1.6

Fortunately, there is more if you download the 1.7/1.8 version of Wesnoth. Part IV has been split off to a campaign called Trinity. For the newer versions of Bad Moon Rising & Trinity, you need the add-on called Archaic Era.

Unfortunately, Trinity is not finished. But I think it is in better shape than the older Part IV.

---------------
I may be blowing against the wind, and this is not purely directed at judobuddha, but: Please post bug reports in one of the links in my signature and leave this sub-forum for reviews. I know the distinction may not be obvious, especially when there are already bug reports in this thread and the others for other campaigns, but these review threads are not so easy to read if you are looking for reviews and all you see are bug reports. Similarly, it is more difficult for me or anyone else looking for a bug report to deal with two threads. Thanks.
judobuddha

Post by judobuddha »

Thanks for the clarification and I really appreciate the campaign.

This was my first post on this forum, and it seemed very mixed regarding where to post the question. I appreciate the supportive "advice" regarding further postings.