Dead Water (add-on for 1.8)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ragesoss

Re: Dead Water

Post by ragesoss »

Scenario III:
"Distrustful of the open ocean, Kai Krellis lead his people up the coast." 'Lead' should be 'led'.

The next screen talks of wolves, and then refers to them as bandits and outcasts without ever mention the goblin riders (who, rather than the wolves themselves, are the bandits and outlaws, I presume).

Scenario IV:
"I saw you coming up the coast with soldiers, so I fled. They are right behind me, and if you don't protect me, they will kill me for sure." The first sentence is a little stilted. Maybe this would be a good place to use the term "pod" for a group of merfolk, which seems to be the common term. The second sentence is a bit colloquial. My suggestion: "I saw your pod of merfolk coming up the coast, and so I fled. They follow in my wake, and without your protection they will surely kill me."

"Good for you, Kai. I cannot abide slavery." - 'good for you' doesn't sound right to me, although I'm not sure how to improve the phrasing. Should 'kai' here be lower case? Most or all earlier times when the term is used alone without the name, it is lower case. For the second sentence, maybe change 'I' to 'We'?

Gwabbo: "I think that would work. If I may make a suggestion though, I think we should wait for a more strategic moment." This could be more concise: "I think that would work. But perhaps we should wait for a more strategic moment."

Incidentally, I just noticed that Gwabbo, Teeloa and Cylanna are 'Neutral' units while Krellis and all the recruited merfolk are lawful. Is that on purpose? If so, why?
ragesoss

Post by ragesoss »

Scenario V:
The dialog is fine, but I feel like it would be better if there was just a bit of explanation as to why undead arrive (perhaps Cylanna could offer her speculation). Also, the orcs imply that the undead are not interested in attacking them, but that's not the case; if they get a chance, they will indeed attack the orcs. The player should get some hint at this possibility, mainly because I found the scenario more fun when I tried provoking the orcs and undead to fight each other.

Scenario VI:
Maybe the Beloved Pet could have a name, and Growloff could use it when talking to the cuttle fish at the beginning. At the end, with "I do not want a dangerous animal like that!" maybe change 'animal' to 'beast'. Then "All right. I'll take the cuttle fish. But you had better not bother us again, or I'll kill you and all the rest of your pets." is a little colloquial; "Very well. I will take the cuttle fish. But do not trouble us again, or I shall kill you and all the rest of your pets."

Overall, I think this scenario is an opportunity for a little more humor. Growloff's dialog could be a little more crazy/outlandish, since he's been living among these half-wild creatures for so long.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I have published Dead Water 1.0 on the BfW 1.8 server. I incorporated many of the text changes suggested by ragesoss, and hopefully made Slavers a bit easier on the two hardest difficulty settings. I haven't implemented some of the more involved suggestions for lack of time. I still hope to get to them later.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Indy_Jones

Post by Indy_Jones »

I'm apparently way behind the times, but I played through the 1.7 branch on easy and found it great fun. The mermen are underused, so it was great to use them in their element. Thank you!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Indy_Jones wrote:I'm apparently way behind the times...,
It doesn't have to be new to be new to you! I'm glad you liked it.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I played this when it was on 1.6 and liked it then. I just (almost) finished playing it on 1.8 and like it even better! Mostly because I'm a better player than I was then. :Awesome: It's definitely worth it to keep all your loyal units. I am now curious, where did you come up with the idea for "Kai" as the merfolk leader? It's very unique compared to- say the orcs (leader, ruler, etc.). It brings a more exotic setting to the merfolk, makes them more like their own race. I hear it's going mainline come 1.10? Congratulations!
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Thanks! It's nice to hear that you liked it. It should be more enjoyable now--there was a lot of polishing done between 1.6 and 1.8. The "Kai" thing was half accidental. I liked the idea of a two-word name for the main character, and much later decided that the first word would be a title--mostly because it sounded like one. I hope some other people use it in their campaigns so it becomes more legitimate.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

beetlenaut wrote: I liked the idea of a two-word name for the main character, and much later decided that the first word would be a title--mostly because it sounded like one.
So it's nothing to do with Caesars, Kaisers and Tsars then? ;)
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1. What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the campaign on?
    medium, 1.8.4
  2. How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
    sometimes 1 (where you choose to fight or flee the undead forces), sometimes 9, mostly 6

the orc leader was easy to assassinate once the ghosts were finished off. not sure if i noticed any consequences to doing that instead of leaving him be.
  3. How clear did you find the campaign objectives?
    quite clear
    there wasnt any way for player to influence them and mess it up ;)
  4. How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
    it made sense and was relatively engaging. i would have liked more advice from Gwabbo since he was allegedly experienced with the area.

i liked the removable camp in the orc scene - this device should show up in more campaigns to enhance the plot. the reverse should also be possible, ie set up a new camp when conditions are right.

the gruff and bumbling but ultimately reasonable orcs reminded me more of humans than the orcs in Son of the Black Eye. also, should there be more ice in the maps considering it is far north?

it was nice to pickup loyal units throughout the campaign.

first time through Slavers i called on them too early and they all died before next dawn. however there was no mourning or obvious consequence for losing them.
  5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the campaign?
    i stupidly didnt train enough priestesses for the final scenario, since i was expecting something to happen after going on the quest but all it did was make available some expensive level 2 units.

the fight against ocean creatures was the toughest to come through without losing veterans, as there wasnt bad terrain i could force them onto.
  6. How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
    7 i would probly play it again in next version of the game code.
  7. What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
    - add one mostly land-based scenario as a challenge or emotional low point
    - perhaps a love interest for the Kai
    - more dialogue with the loyal units
  8. Any grammatical mistakes in dialog/story text?
    nope. some language usage issues but i see others working on that.
  9. I need lots of artwork still, but most of it is beyond my skill level. If you are interested in making some watery art, send me a PM.

the portrait of the young Kai at the beginning should be younger imo. also i would like to see more colorful and sexy mermaids ;)
lcd292

Post by lcd292 »

I have enjoyed it so far, but I am stuck on 'Wolf Coast'.
Spoiler:
Any help would be really appreciated.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yep, it suicidal to send a single unit over there right away. Wait until the enemies are mostly gone (or at least blocked from going south).
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

lcd292 wrote:I have enjoyed it so far, but I am stuck on 'Wolf Coast'.
Spoiler:
Any help would be really appreciated.
Spoiler:
yeah best to kill off most of the wolves/goblins first
patience is a virtue