The Rising Underworld

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

daud2001

Re: The Rising Underworld

Post by daud2001 » August 17th, 2018, 12:40 am

Nice campaign (playing v1.2.4 on Wesnoth 1.14.3). I like the text/dialogue, it makes some plot elements more believable. Like "Many times they suffered what seemed to be a critical loss, but somehow Wesnoth endured." from The Council of War, helps me believe Weldyn isn't destroyed by the time everybody come back from travelling the world. And the variative scenarios are just amazing.

Scenario I struggled with:
- Demon Glac. Likely because I had poor recalls.
- Demon Zeph. While I could beat the main enemy forces, it took too much time and my troops were left weakened. I barely won on turn 34 by luck. Then I realized I should have recruited more Steelclads and put Hyrdmar closer to everybody else, so I replayed it, and the scenario is easier (but still challenging).
A fan and a player since kindergarten.

Samonella

Post by Samonella » August 18th, 2018, 8:24 pm

daud2001 wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 12:40 am
Nice campaign (playing v1.2.4 on Wesnoth 1.14.3). I like the text/dialogue, it makes some plot elements more believable. Like "Many times they suffered what seemed to be a critical loss, but somehow Wesnoth endured." from The Council of War, helps me believe Weldyn isn't destroyed by the time everybody come back from travelling the world. And the variative scenarios are just amazing.
Awesome, glad you liked it!

daud2001 wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 12:40 am
Scenario I struggled with:
- Demon Glac. Likely because I had poor recalls.
:/ Yeah, the price difference between recruiting and recalling is huge.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention » August 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I noticed. Is it really impossible to beat Glac with fresh recruits? I hate recalling experienced units for fear of losing them. The only way I beat that was by going debug and messing around with the stuff LOL. And even if I had used my best troops, they still probably would've been mostly killed because of all the lichs Glac has. I hate Drains.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.

Samonella

Post by Samonella » August 18th, 2018, 8:57 pm

ResExsention wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm
I noticed. Is it really impossible to beat Glac with fresh recruits? I hate recalling experienced units for fear of losing them. The only way I beat that was by going debug and messing around with the stuff LOL. And even if I had used my best troops, they still probably would've been mostly killed because of all the lichs Glac has. I hate Drains.
Glac is the winter one with ghosts, if there were lots of liches you probably mean Sicc, the desert one? Glac isn't too hard if you have veterans; the ghosts deal plenty of damage, but they go down really fast against sorceresses (or even archers). As for sicc, you aren't even allowed to get fresh recruits, the idea is that the river defense scenario fed you tons of XP so you have a good selection of level 3s.

Also, those scenarios all note in the objectives that they're the last time you'll use that army (or it's a bug if they don't) so you shouldn't be worried about losing veterans.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG

ResExsention

Post by ResExsention » August 18th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Well, the last time I played this campaign was quite a while ago, so I kind of forgot. The way I beat Glac was by holding off the ghosts and shadows and wraiths with my sorceresses while bringing the dragon all the way around to burn up the enemy leader. Very effective.

As for Sicc, even if I had fifty Mages of Light I probably wouldn't have used any of them and instead recalled my worst units. I've very conscious about what's in my recall list, and I hate losing powerful people.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.