Struggle For Freedom

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rogul

Struggle For Freedom

Post by rogul »

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play this campaign on?
2. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign on? (easy/normal/hard)
3. How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
4. How clear did you find the objectives in the campaign/any particular scenario? (1-10)
5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
6. How clear did you find the scenario/campaign prose (dialog, story text, etc.)? (1-10)
7. How fun do you think the scenario/campaign is? (No rating scale.)
8. What (if any) changes should be made to make the gameplay more fun?
9. What (if any) changes should be made to make the story more interesting?
10. Any gameplay bugs or prose mistakes (grammar, spelling, punctuation) in the scenario/campaign?
11. Any additional comments, suggestions, or questions?

If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify which.
Samonella

Re: Struggle For Freedom

Post by Samonella »

Hey, I played a most of this campaign, and really enjoyed it! Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Realm of Knightmare... even after looking through the events, I don't know what to do next.
Here are my thoughts on what I've played so far:

1. BfW 1.12.6
2. normal
3. 8-ish I guess. Seemed right for "normal" difficulty, anyway
4. All very clear, except Realm of Knightmare of course
5. There were a few unpleasant surprises, but I'll mention them below
6. Very clear, generally well written
7. Pretty fun, it's a good campaign
8. See below
9. Sometimes it seems like people's motivations don't get explained. Why is Aloune so quick to leave her home and join your team? Xavien also doesn't explain himself much, he just mentions that he owes you and will "join you," which just sounds plastic and unrealistic.
10 The only thing that stuck out to me was verb-tense in the stories. If it's a journal, does that mean the heroes were writing them as the story happens, or did they record everything afterwards? It seems to float back and forth between past-tense and present-tense.
11 First, I love the yellow team color. Second, I love the way changes in music punctuate unexpected events, like running into a new enemy in "Across the Dark Hills." I wish that there was more than one song at a time though; hearing the same one over loop two or three times before some event triggers a new one gets old.
Also, some of the custom units seem too strong. The Elvish Horse Archer is the worst; with a 7-5 marksman bow, he's as powerful as an Elvish Marksman, plus far more HP and a much better melee attack. That alone would make him really tough, but he's barely slower than an Elvish Rider, and is a skirmisher too?? If you ask me, there's a serious nerf needed.
On the same note, I'm not sure why the mercenaries couldn't just use the normal bandit units; the new ones are much stronger, but cost the same. Also, some of the animations seem to be missing sound effects.
About individual scenarios (spoilers):
Really enjoyed what I played so far, so great job to you and wyrmy!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play this campaign on?

2. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign on? (easy/normal/hard)
Initially, normal, but I couldn't get past the last scenario because too many high level units got taken out in the second to last scenario so I had to restart on easy.

3. How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)

4. How clear did you find the objectives in the campaign/any particular scenario? (1-10)

5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
I had some trouble getting enough gold to support units once I had more high level units. I was not expecting another scenario after the Y'fel scenario, so I sacrificed too many units there.

6. How clear did you find the scenario/campaign prose (dialog, story text, etc.)? (1-10)
Dialogue was decent. Better than most, actually, which is nice. Still room for refinement there, so I give it a 6.

7. How fun do you think the scenario/campaign is? (No rating scale.)
The campaign was fun. I had a great time playing it, and this is really one of its greatest strengths.

8. What (if any) changes should be made to make the gameplay more fun?
If you're going to force 'allies' on a player, you should give the player the option of controlling them. Otherwise, your 'allies' end up swooping in and taking all of the kills you've set up, thus making it far more difficult (and frustrating) to level up your own units. This is a huge flaw. More variety in music in each scenario would be good. Having a single song that plays over and over again gets real old real fast.
Spoiler:
9. What (if any) changes should be made to make the story more interesting?
I did not find the characters to be particularly interesting or compelling, and to me, characters and story both are very important. In fact, the dreadful story telling found in most campaigns (UMC and even some Mainline) is the reason I don't make it all the way through most campaigns I start. As for suggestions for improvement there, I'm afraid I'll have to leave you to ponder that one on your own. I'd have to replay the campaign from the beginning and take notes to actually come up with specific suggestions and I don't have time for that.

10. Any gameplay bugs or prose mistakes (grammar, spelling, punctuation) in the scenario/campaign?
There were quite a few grammatical errors, but I didn't make a list or anything.

11. Any additional comments, suggestions, or questions?
I really liked the Y'fel level maps. I might steal the layout and use it in one of my own campaigns.

-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
denispir

Post by denispir »

Seems the campaign was not ported to wesnoth 1.4 ? (cannot find it on the add-on server.)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

denispir wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:05 pm Seems the campaign was not ported to wesnoth 1.4 ? (cannot find it on the add-on server.)
You are correct.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I am porting this to 1.16 and I see that the campaign is 100% broken on scenario 2 and in a lot of places. Might take a while.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium