Brave Wings

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Brave Wings

Post by SkyOne »

This is the feedback thread for Brave Wings.

Reviewing just a scenario will be as welcome as reviewing the whole campaign.
If reviewing just a scenario, please post what the title or the number of the scenario is.

The Questions:

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?

2. What version of Brave Wings (or the scenario) did you play?

3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign? (easy/normal/hard)

4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

6. What part of the campaign should be developed the most when you played? (dialogues, unit images, or etc..)

7. How do you like the scenario or this campaign? (1-10)

8. Do you have any additional comments?

------optional questions------

9. What custom unit did you like the most in the campaign? (only by reviewing the whole campaign)

-A. Drake Lord
-B. Drake Brave/Hero/Great
-C. Drake Alchemist --> currently, Drake Alchemist/Esoteric Drake
-D. Drake Sword/Battler --> currently, Sword Drake/Drake Swordmaster
-E. the others (could you post which one you liked the most?)

10. How much GOLD did you have when you started the last scenario, Legend of a Dragon? (the default is: EASY 320, NORMAL 280, HARD 260)

-A. the default set-up
-B. more than the default set-up, but less than 400
-C. 400~599
-D. 600~799
-E. more than 800 (could you post how much you had?)

Thanks
Last edited by SkyOne on April 10th, 2013, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
marecki

Re: Brave Wings

Post by marecki »

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?

2. What version of Brave Wings (or the scenario) did you play?

3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign? (easy/normal/hard)

Normal

4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

~4

5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

Crystal

6. What part of the campaign should be developed the most when you played? (dialogues, unit images, or etc..)

Some dialogues could use polishing. As has been pointed out in the other thread, the part when Wyngilla changes into a dragon sounds kinda awkward. I'd describe the transformation itself (perhaps in a disturbing way, with bones splitting and flesh ripping), but mentioning DNA in a relatively cliche world that is Wesnoth is a big no no. Also, the repeated bits about justice, honor and whatnot in various scenarios are anything but subtle (yeah, drakes are lawful, I can read that in unit descriptions :wink:). I don't want to give my suggestions to specific sections, since I'm not a native speaker of English, but the overall tone of dialogues did strike me as too colloquial ("you're the son of that guy," "cool," etc.). Still, these are minor things, at least for me, and didn't stop me from enjoying the campaign as a whole.

7. How do you like the scenario or this campaign? (1-10)

7. Leading charges with a squadron of inferno and armageddon drakes was amusing. -1 for the quite annoying second part of the penultimate scenario (fleets of invisible ships).
I liked extra income for enemy leaders so that they never actually run out of units and the missions had constant action; also liked the layout of most maps (except for the Hidden Cave).

8. Do you have any additional comments?

I think the early finish bonus in Bandit's Connection is way too large (36g/turn?). I went from ~1000 to 1800g after that mission. Granted, I replayed it when I familiarized myself with the map, as I got bogged down by trolls and serpents the first time. It's probably different on Hard, but - if it was intentional - well, I don't really see a purpose behind giving the player access to such huge gold reserves. I played recklessly and overrecruited in later scenarios and I still started "Legend of a Dragon" with 1292g which, needless to say, took the challenge out of it.
The troll mission ("Landing" I think) offers arguably too good opportunities for creating a recall list this early in the campaign. What I mean is, there are too many easily dispatched lvl2 trolls and the gaps in ranks are instantly filled with the saurian allies. I would either change the turn order or somehow limit the amount of 16xp enemies.

9. What custom unit did you like the most in the campaign? (only by reviewing the whole campaign)

The alchemist, obviously!

10. How much gold did you have when you started the last scenario, Legend of a Dragon?

See above.

Thank you for this excellent campaign, had a lot of fun with it.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you so much for the feedback, marecki. It is really helpful to develop the campaign.
marecki wrote:the part when Wyngilla changes into a dragon sounds kinda awkward. I'd describe the transformation itself (perhaps in a disturbing way, with bones splitting and flesh ripping), but mentioning DNA in a relatively cliche world that is Wesnoth is a big no no.
Okay, I have to work on that without changing WML.
marecki wrote:Also, the repeated bits about justice, honor and whatnot in various scenarios are anything but subtle (yeah, drakes are lawful, I can read that in unit descriptions ). I don't want to give my suggestions to specific sections, since I'm not a native speaker of English, but the overall tone of dialogues did strike me as too colloquial ("you're the son of that guy," "cool," etc.).
You must be right. Because Dragon's alignment has been modified to the lawful on this campaign, I assert it a little bit too much in the dialogues. English is not my first language to speak also, so I am happy to hear your suggestions. I will think about the parts anyway.
marecki wrote:I think the early finish bonus in Bandit's Connection is way too large (36g/turn?). I went from ~1000 to 1800g after that mission. Granted, I replayed it when I familiarized myself with the map, as I got bogged down by trolls and serpents the first time. It's probably different on Hard, but - if it was intentional - well, I don't really see a purpose behind giving the player access to such huge gold reserves. I played recklessly and overrecruited in later scenarios and I still started "Legend of a Dragon" with 1292g which, needless to say, took the challenge out of it.
It is not sound like you are just a good player. The gold definitely should be reduced at the point. I would like to put some extra golds on this campaign because I designed this campaign as an intermediate level or a bit easier than it (so your answer on Q-4 is excellent for me :smile: ), but 1292g at the starting point of the last scenario is, yes, too much.
The scenario is three teams and five sides, so balancing it on all difficulty levels is very hard. Therefore, your feedback is very helpful.
marecki wrote:The troll mission ("Landing" I think) offers arguably too good opportunities for creating a recall list this early in the campaign. What I mean is, there are too many easily dispatched lvl2 trolls and the gaps in ranks are instantly filled with the saurian allies. I would either change the turn order or somehow limit the amount of 16xp enemies.
Okay, I got you.:wink:

You know the points what I would like to hear very well.
Thanks again and I appreciate, marecki.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
marecki

Post by marecki »

Regarding Bandit's Connection, I'm an average player at best. I went straight north-northeast, through the berserkers, completely ignoring the sourthern beach, you save a lot of time this way. BC can be a tough mission if you don't know the map, but gets quite easy when you do. I can post a replay if you wish.

Alright, I don't actually have the time to go through the entire campaign, so I focused on the last scenario, as it has the most text. Changes are mostly superficial, at the stylistic level only, except for Wyngilla's change, which is a pretty radical rewrite. Bear in mind that that this is ultimately your story, so feel free to disregard anything written below, comments in particular.
Also, it occurred to me that an evil dragon such as Kragash would consider all drakes inferior life forms - mongrel lizards.

"Wyngilla, I should say welcome back, but given the situation, it would be better for you to flee and save yourselves. That invader is totally different from any other that you have ever faced. He represents terrible things from far in your past, things that will be difficult to accept. Go now and save yourselves!"

"Welcome home, Wyngilla although, as you can see, you find us in sore plight. This enemy, this...undead monstrosity, it represents terrible things from your past, things that might prove difficult to accept. Better that you flee now and save yourselves."
_____
"Welcome back, my son. Wyngilla, I am so glad to see you, From now on, you and I will rule this island together."

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, my son. I offer you a chance to rule this island by my side."

(Luke *wheeze* I am you father *cough*. Seriously though, this is an evil dead dragon we're talking about, I'm fairly sure it would look at his drake spawn with contempt. Heck, it would probably eat him or something)
_____
"What! What are you talking about? You can't be my father. My father was dead when I was in the egg."

"Do you hope to snare me with your lies? My father died when I was still in the egg."
_____
"Listen Wyngilla. I apologize for never telling you, but you are half dragon, and...it is true, the son of that guy. Fortunately, you were raised to have a full appreciation of law and honor and justice. I know, because I raised you myself, as if you were my son. Now, though, he has defeated us. The castle and the island have been captured, so I will understand if you go with him."

"Wyngilla, forgive me for never telling you, but the monster speaks the truth - you really are his son. I tried to raise you in full appreciation of drake ways and values and not once have I regretted it. Now, though, he has taken everything from us and it seems we truly are lost, so you have a choice. If you go with your real father, you won't have to perish with the rest of us."

(Then again, why would a proud drake lord like Eagi-Nyess ever say such a thing? It's good that he finally comes clean about his son's parentage, but if Wyngilla decides to join his father, then he's no better than the undead lizard and should be put down. As it stands, Eagi seems too easygoing and wimpy about the matter, considering his people just had their lives literally drained from them. This also applies to his first words in the mission).
____
"Well said, Wyngilla. I will fight with you.
"Spoken like a true drake, Wyngilla, you can count on me in this battle."
____
"Cool Wyngilla. I will help you too."
"Well said, I will stand by you in this as well."
____
"Ooh! But you'd be captured or killed."
"I'd rather not put you in such a danger, Melphine."
____
"The ocean is my strong point."
"The ocean is my element."
____
"Hm, mermaids are always annoying. Even eating them, they don't taste good."
"I really hate the fishfolk, always getting stuck between my teeth."
____
"Now I'm mad! Really mad! Melhine was a friend and helped us voluntarily on our quest. You may be my birth father, but I'm furious with you."
At that moment, parts of Wyngilla's heritage of DNA suddenly switched on by the terrible anger and sadness and his form changed. Though different, he was still a son of justice and his heart remained true.

Witnessing Melphine's death, Wyngilla's reptilian eyes flashed with anger and outrage. he let out a growl and then his body suddenly began to shift in a transformation which was at the same time horrifying and amazing. Wings grew until they stretched eighty feet above him. bones snapped and mended, flesh ripped and knitted back, into a new terrifying shape... that of a true dragon of legends. The creature roared, but then looked around and said:
"Don't worry, it's still me. Let's show my "father" how I feel about him slaughtering my friends."
____
"Good, my son. You look just like me when I was alive. It is going to be a good battle with you...haha."
"Now you are worthy to face me. It will be glorious to rip you and your mongrel friends to shreds."
____
"Aaaack. Twice I have been killed by drakes."
"Noo, I cannot be vanquished by these pathetic cold-bloods, I am Kragash Varg!"
...or something sounding equally incredulous.

Also, as a general remark, everyone knows the official Evil Laughter(TM) goes: Bwahaha! or, alternatively: Mwahaha! :D
Last edited by marecki on May 15th, 2010, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

marecki wrote:I can post a replay if you wish.
Yes, please.
marecki wrote:Alright, I don't actually have the time to go through the entire campaign, so I focused on the last scenario, as it has the most text. Changes are mostly superficial, at the stylistic level only, except for Wyngilla's change, which is a pretty radical rewrite. Bear in mind that that this is ultimately your story, so feel free to disregard anything written below, comments in particular.
How nice your dialogues are. I accept them all. You must be a writer (or have DNA as a writer :smile: )

Either I and Sneezy who is editor on this campaign might change a few words, but I will forward this scenario to the way of your dialogues. You do not mind to be installed your name on the credit list of the campaign as a contributor, do you?

Actually, I really like this part:
Wings grew until they stretched eighty feet above him. bones snapped and mended, flesh ripped and knitted back, into a new terrifying shape
marecki wrote:why would a proud drake lord like Eagi-Nyess ever say such a thing? It's good that he finally comes clean about his son's parentage, but if Wyngilla decides to join his father, then he's no better than the undead lizard and should be put down. As it stands, Eagi seems too easygoing and wimpy about the matter, considering his people just had their lives literally drained from them. This also applies to his first words in the mission
Well, the idea came from The Rise of Wesnoth:
Shade on TRoW as a dialogue of Prince Haldric wrote:Well, it looks like their warriors have given up the fight.
My impression of Drakes from this sentence is that their attitude is more Samurai-like.

Samurais killed themselves as their pride when they were sure to lose, before they got killed by enemies. So Eagi-Nyess means he is ready to die by himself if Wyngilla goes with Kragash Varg. I did not mention anything regarding to this theory because it was not really necessary. I could be wrong, though, not to write it.

Thanks a lot, marecki, and have a nice weekend.:smile:
marecki

Post by marecki »

SkyOne wrote:How nice your dialogues are. I accept them all. You must be a writer. You do not mind to be installed your name on the credit list of the campaign as a contributor, do you?
Glad you like it! Actually, I'm a translator. And thanks, of course I don't mind. 8)
SkyOne wrote:My impression of Drakes from this sentence is that their attitude is more Samurai-like.
Samurais killed themselves as their pride when they were sure to lose, before they got killed by enemies. So Eagi-Nyess means he is ready to die by himself if Wyngilla goes with Kragash Varg. I did not mention anything regarding to this theory because it was not really necessary. I could be wrong, though, not to write it.
Ah, ok. I didn't get that from his words. The idea's pretty nifty, perhaps it could be fleshed out a bit. Anyway, I'm withdrawing my objection. :wink:
Attachments
's_Connection_replay.gz
Fresh guardsmen mostly, no reloads
(49.32 KiB) Downloaded 1349 times
boru

Post by boru »

I've played this through on Easy, now I'm going to play on Normal. Today I'm just reviewing Scenario 1: Faith Island ...
SkyOne wrote:1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?
SkyOne wrote:2. What version of Brave Wings (or the scenario) did you play?
SkyOne wrote:3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign? (easy/normal/hard)
Normal (btw it's spelled Dinosaur :eng: )
SkyOne wrote:4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)
I found Faith Island to be about average difficulty, maybe slightly easier than some campaigns (meaning, I didn't get slaughtered!)
SkyOne wrote:5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)
Wesnoth doesn't get any clearer than "defeat enemy leader."
SkyOne wrote:6. What part of the campaign should be developed the most when you played? (dialogues, unit images, or etc..)
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Your mastery of english is good enough to get your ideas across, and I don't want to criticize anyone learning a new language. It's not easy! But of course, a native english-speaking person could improve the game dialog.

The units here seem fine. Only problem: the sound on your Drake Fighter fire breath does not trigger.

The music here doesn't seem to fit, although I admit "Traveling Minstrels" is not one of my favorite tunes. It never seems right for combat.
SkyOne wrote:7. How do you like the scenario or this campaign? (1-10)
It's a good strong start but it totally fakes you out, because you expect this is the army you'll be using throughout the campaign. Reminds me a little of Psycho, when the "main character" is killed. On the second play-thru, I'm not as careful about levelling anyone up, cause I know what's ahead. I'm not sure that this ought to be changed or not .. it's a tough choice.
SkyOne wrote:8. Do you have any additional comments?
* I'm not sure why you start off with what's going on between men and orcs. It would be better to focus on the drakes, maybe tell us a bit about why nagas want their island. Some info on the Flame of Braves would be interesting too.
* I like the friendship of drakes and woses ... just feels right. Good choice.
* Why would the drakes bother to build castles that give them no more defense than the surrounding trees?
* Why do we run out of time in 17 turns? 17 seems like an odd choice. I didn't test this, but I noticed there is no "name=time over" event in your WML.

------optional questions------
SkyOne wrote:9. What custom unit did you like the most in the campaign? (only by reviewing the whole campaign)

-A. Drake Lord
-B. Drake Brave/Hero/Great
-C. Drake Alchemist
-D. Drake Sword/Battler
-E. the others (could you post which one you liked the most?)
I will get back to you on this!
SkyOne wrote:10. How much GOLD did you have when you started the last scenario, Legend of a Dragon? (the default is: EASY 320, NORMAL 280, HARD 260)

-A. the default set-up
-B. more than the default set-up, but less than 400
-C. 400~599
-D. 600~799
-E. more than 800 (could you post how much you had?)
I loaded my old saved game (played on Easy). I began this scenario with 392 gold.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

marecki wrote:And thanks, of course I don't mind.
You are welcome. You are on it now.
marecki wrote:I'm withdrawing my objection
Oh, you don't really have to do it. It's too late, though.
boru wrote:btw it's spelled Dinosaur
Oops! It’s been a while since on 1.6. Thanks! It will be fixed on the next edition.
boru wrote:
SkyOne wrote:6. What part of the campaign should be developed the most when you played? (dialogues, unit images, or etc..)
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Your mastery of english is good enough to get your ideas across, and I don't want to criticize anyone learning a new language. It's not easy!
Right, especially for me. Could you post (or PM me) how I should write this question to let players understand correctly? I have sent the same question to Shadowmaster already to post on this forum for my another campaign. Editing it will be necessary ASAP.
boru wrote:The units here seem fine. Only problem: the sound on your Drake Fighter fire breath does not trigger.
Okay, thanks! I am not sure why it does not sound, yet. But hopefully, it will be fixed on the next edition.
boru wrote:The music here doesn't seem to fit, although I admit "Traveling Minstrels" is not one of my favorite tunes. It never seems right for combat.
I can imagine why you say it because it is only music with a major key in the default, I think. But that is the reason why I install it on this scenario. Battling with Nagas is still in the peace for the Drakes in my set up. At least, it is an usual action for them. So I use the music in several times on this campaign when they are in peace, like meeting with Dultas, after defeating orcs on Thunderthrow, and the epilogue through the ending. I picked it as the theme music on this campaign.

However, your post made my mind reset. It is still a combat. So I might replace it to something else at the beginning of the battle.

Anyway, you don’t really like "Traveling Minstrels"? I think it is West’s another masterpiece, like Journey’s End. But yes. Music is something like that. Each person should get a different impression. Thinking by that way, I think, music is similar to campaigns here. (I hope you can understand what I mean)
boru wrote:It's a good strong start but it totally fakes you out, because you expect this is the army you'll be using throughout the campaign. Reminds me a little of Psycho, when the "main character" is killed. On the second play-thru, I'm not as careful about levelling anyone up, cause I know what's ahead. I'm not sure that this ought to be changed or not .. it's a tough choice.
Yeah, that is an odd part still in the entire campaign. The scenario is just a fake, so I am sure it should not be hard to play, but I am not sure what the best is.
boru wrote:I'm not sure why you start off with what's going on between men and orcs. It would be better to focus on the drakes, maybe tell us a bit about why nagas want their island. Some info on the Flame of Braves would be interesting too.
Thanks. I really have to work on it. This campaign was originally created as the part-3 of Fate of a Princess. Because this campaign fortunately becomes much popular than I expected, I made it totally an independent drake campaign. The dialogues at the pre-game have not been edited much since the beginning.
boru wrote: Why would the drakes bother to build castles that give them no more defense than the surrounding trees?
Defense of Drakes (chance to hit) on the castle is the same as one on trees. So the difference is just the looks on the map. But putting more castles may make the map look better. So I will experiment it.
By the way, am I right to answer what you are asking for?
boru wrote:Why do we run out of time in 17 turns? 17 seems like an odd choice. I didn't test this, but I noticed there is no "name=time over" event in your WML.
The time over event is not really necessary on current Wesnoth if there is an objective as “Turns run out" and limited turns. The game is automatically over when the turns are out.

But! If you mean no-limited turns are better on this scenario, it will be a different story.

I appreciate the feedbacks and spending extra times for me.
I am not going to waste away them.:smile:
boru

Post by boru »

SkyOne wrote:
boru wrote:I'm not sure what you're asking here. Your mastery of english is good enough to get your ideas across, and I don't want to criticize anyone learning a new language. It's not easy!
Right, especially for me. Could you post (or PM me) how I should write this question to let players understand correctly? I have sent the same question to Shadowmaster already to post on this forum for my another campaign. Editing it will be necessary ASAP.
As I said, I'm not sure what you're asking here. I think you mean to ask:

What aspect of the campaign needs the most work? (dialog, unit images, etc.)
SkyOne wrote:
boru wrote: Why would the drakes bother to build castles that give them no more defense than the surrounding trees?
Defense of Drakes (chance to hit) on the castle is the same as one on trees. So the difference is just the looks on the map. But putting more castles may make the map look better. So I will experiment it.
By the way, am I right to answer what you are asking for?
This is a really minor issue. I understand the aesthetic reason, and there is also a gameplay reason if nagas and later, other creatures use the castles. I was just asking in terms of bare-bones realism. If I was Eagi-Nyess I would not instruct my troops to build castles.
SkyOne wrote:
boru wrote:Why do we run out of time in 17 turns? 17 seems like an odd choice. I didn't test this, but I noticed there is no "name=time over" event in your WML.
The time over event is not really necessary on current Wesnoth if there is an objective as “Turns run out" and limited turns. The game is automatically over when the turns are out.

But! If you mean no-limited turns are better on this scenario, it will be a different story.
No, it just seemed that 17 was an unusual number. I was just curious why you chose it.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
boru

Post by boru »

Some notes on later scenarios ... hope they are helpful :)

Unexpected visitor: I'm not sure why we can't pick more fighters .. yes, fighters are tough but so are the other drake units. So I wonder why you made this restriction.

Nagaland: Great one, very challenging. The storm orb is very cool and the mermaid is a good choice for a companion.

Landing: I'm thinking you may want to make the choke point in this scenario (as well as a few in later ones) a hex wider. It's impossible to get the saurian allies into the battle with the full-grown trolls unless you leave the bridge to them and slog your drakes across the water, taking a few hard casualties, and leaving clashers at the shore.

Air Battle: I think I would have preferred defeating the gryphon leader, even though my guys were getting slaughtered here so it was a bit of a relief. I'm not sure why the gryphons attack, they're not a chaotic race .. maybe you need a word from the gryphon leader at some point.

Western Union: A good battle but once again I wonder how it would play if that choke point let the allies get into the fight.

Dwarvish Bandits: I like the two-keep setup. If you're clever, you can use both keeps in the same turn. There may be some balance issues appearing at this point (sooner for those who are better players than I). I had a reasonably good amount of level 2 units by this point and the opponents were not all that tough.

Hidden Cave: Great weapons and a well-constructed maze. One of the ulfs didn't attack when I entered his view ... the guy guarding the gold south of the big boss. There seemed like a lot of ulfs to deal with here, but I guess it's nothing compared to the next one.

Bandit's Connection: I don't recall this map the last time I played the campaign. Is it new? The battles are all extremely tough because you're in single-file almost constantly and can't do much except getting poking your nose around corners and getting whacked by trolls, sea serpents, ulfs, ulfs, and more ulfs. Generally, I like all the labyrinthine stuff you're doing, but when so much of it is only one hex wide, you have very few opportunities to put your guys into any kind of formation. ESR refers to this in his Campaign Design How To. Love that three headed hydra icon! And I like finding gold all over the place. I never could get into the troll base, but maybe that's just me.

marecki

Post by marecki »

boru wrote:I never could get into the troll base, but maybe that's just me
Nope, not just you. :wink: On my first attempt I eliminated the hydra leader, but simply could not fight my way into the troll keep. I'm not sure it's possible without some serious save-loading. And yeah, this scenario could use some wider corridors.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thanks for the feedbacks, boru. I will work on them as soon as my monitor gets replaced. My monitor has broken down for a week, and I have been so frustrated. It has not shown any pictures at all. Because it is still under the warranty, I decided to wait that the factory ships me a new one, instead of purchasing another one. However, it will probably take two or three weeks. Currently, I am using my wife’s laptop which does not include Wesnoth, and I do not want to mess around somebody else’s computer even my family member’s one.
boru wrote:This is a really minor issue. I understand the aesthetic reason, and there is also a gameplay reason if nagas and later, other creatures use the castles. I was just asking in terms of bare-bones realism. If I was Eagi-Nyess I would not instruct my troops to build castles.
Okay, now, I know what you mean. (sorry) I usually prefer to create campaigns, like your suggested ways. Let me see what I can do on the 1st scenario. (I have already had plans on the 2nd scenario and epilogue)
boru wrote:Unexpected visitor: I'm not sure why we can't pick more fighters .. yes, fighters are tough but so are the other drake units. So I wonder why you made this restriction.
This is only for a minor story reason. That is:
I as Wyngilla's speech wrote: And other strong fighters will remain here, to guard all of you, Sir.

Then:
I as narrator's speech wrote: because heros left them in the island to guard there.
So if those are not big deals, I personally prefer that all drakes are recruitable through the ending. So should I?
boru wrote:Landing: I'm thinking you may want to make the choke point in this scenario (as well as a few in later ones) a hex wider. It's impossible to get the saurian allies into the battle with the full-grown trolls unless you leave the bridge to them and slog your drakes across the water, taking a few hard casualties, and leaving clashers at the shore.
Thanks. The work to modify on this scenario has been on the progress. I just need to get fixed my monitor.
boru wrote:I'm not sure why the gryphons attack, they're not a chaotic race .. maybe you need a word from the gryphon leader at some point.
Thanks. I now have a good idea for it. :smile:

It seems a new scenario, Bandit Connection, needs more works than the others. Of course, I will refer scenarios of Western Union and Dwarvish Bandit to balance more as boru suggested.

Boru and marecki, I really appreciate you guys.:smile:
PainfulAC

Post by PainfulAC »

I am just starting your campaign, and I just read the text box when you are in the campaign menu.

I know the gameplay is more important, but here are the changes I would make to that text. It's important to make a good impression after all :)

Here is the current version:
"At an island northwest of Wesnoth, a group of drakes had been living without much trouble although battling with Nages was as usual. However, when an unexpected visitor came down to the island, those drakes were in trouble seriously. Brave drakes flew away to save their home. This is a Drake Campaign totaling 14 scenarios, including an Epilogue, and playable all, but still an early release, so bugs possible and some scenarios require further balancing. The feed back will be great appreciation."

I would replace this with (and feel free too) this:
On an island northwest of Wesnoth, the drakes have been living peacefully, aside from the occasional Naga skirmish. However, an unexpected guest will shake them from their time of peace and force them to fly away from their home. This is a Drake Campaign with 14 scenarios, including an epilogue. All of the scenarios are playable, but this is still in the early stages, so there may be bugs or balancing issues. Any feedback on the campaign would be appreciated
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

PainfulAC wrote:I would replace this with (and feel free too) this:
Ooo! Thank you, painfulAC. I will install them on the next edition, including your name on the credit list. Currently, everything on this campaign is behind. There is still Dinasaur, instead of Dinosaur.:razz:
-------------------------------------

EDIT on June 19

Now, the fixed version is on the server. Thank you all. No more Dinasaur :smile:
boru

Post by boru »

I thought I posted this a while back .. I guess I didn't .. hope you'll find it helpful ..

On recruiting drake fighters, I would say there are several scenarios where these guys would have been very helpful. It’s up to you, of course, but I would suggest the first and last consideration should be whether you’re making the campaign more fun or less. It’s possible some players might enjoy it because it’s more of a challenge, but in my opinion it was an unnecessary restriction. So unless there is some balance issue I am not aware of, I would do away with it.

Thunderthrow: I noticed if you rescue Montas before destroying the Thunderthrow, you still get a message that Thunderthrow is destroyed. It doesn’t affect anything, but the message ought to be different.

Orcish Newport: This one is fine, but it’s the third time we have a map with a big river in the middle and two enemies and one army of computer-controlled allies. Maybe I’m being overly critical, but I think it could be a bit more. Maybe we could learn something new about your supporting cast, Kasii or Angiddon. Maybe these orcs are connected to the orcs fought against in Thunderthrow, the last remnants of the hardliners who refuse to surrender. The Merman says the orcs are stirring up the local monsters, so maybe they stir up some beast which everyone has to fight.

Melphine’s Home Seas: Some really good tough battles. I think I would like to know a bit more about Ikateus as a ruler, so that his transformation will have more dramatic impact. I like the ghost ships.

Legend of a Dragon: This one’s especially hard. We just ended a hard campaign, so two hard ones in a row magnifies the difficulty. Our heroes have to fight for a keep, then the strongest healer is taken away. Also we have to protect two undead allies who have no possible chance of standing up against the high level foes on the main island. On the other hand, it’s the last battle so it does not matter if your Inferno Drakes go out in a blaze of glory, so long as they take some draugs and banebows with them.

About Melphine’s death: I think this is a good choice for your story (although of course it is sad). However, I would have liked to see her succeed first, and transform Eagi-Nyess and Orofarnië back to normal before she is destroyed. Maybe on easy games, both heroes are restored, on normal, one is restored, and on hard games, everyone is attacked by sea yetis. But as it is now, it’s too risky to do anything with these guys, which is less fun.

By the way, this time I played on medium and started the final scenario with 280 gold. The Sword Drake/Battler is my favorite custom unit, but I liked all the custom units.