Elf Strategies

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Elf Strategies

Post by Thrawn »

This will be the comprehensive list of tips and strategies for elves vs. all other races and themselves.

It takes into account reading the other strategy guide I posted

*almost every Rebel unit has a ranged attack, and the archer and mage lines are the best ranged units in the game, IMO. Use archers to pick off weaken units and damage units that have no/weaker ranged attack.
*Rebels have shamans and mages, meaning they can get druids and White Mages. These units heal, making them useful if used right.
*elvish fighers have a 5-4 melee attack, meaning they get more hits combat that many other units.
*Elvish fighters and Woses make good shields--both are strong enoughto make people hesitate to attack them, and Woses regenerate and fighters cost the least of all elves.
*Fight in forests whenever possible, as elves love forests, and forests love them.
*They have a water unit!! Mermen are not only cool looking, but are hard to hit in water. They have a decent ranged attack, and diverse upgrading to suit your needs.
*with FOW on, use scouts to make a visibility bubble--they have really long scouting radius due to moves.
*Use the elvish captains leadership, don't just get heroes--even if they look cooler!
*UNITS TO PROTECT:
-mages
-shamans
-quick archers (lowered HP)

Against undead
*initiated have no melee attack
*undead are resistant to pierce and blade, (though you can still attack them) so use mages and woses (though sparingly and well, as they are expensive), they are average to fire, killed by holy, and killed by impact.
*attack ghosts with ranged attacks when possible (preferably mages), they can't drain that way. Kill them quickly, becaue they level into even more annoying buggers.
*Necromancers are not undead yet, do not attack them with White mages (if you have any)!!!!
*Elves have 30-40%CtbH on forest, undead have 50% do the math. Note: this is for fightinging defensively--undead are resistant to blade and pierce)
*Undead units are chaotic, attack during day, dusk, and remember, elves are neutral, so they don't suffer at night. Mages and Mermen do, so "run like hell" during the witching hours.
UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
-ghosts
-skeletons
Against Drakes
*Drakes are slower than many Rebel troops, have bad defence percents, and are costly--this has to be useful in some way.
*Drakes can fly FTMP, and so get to you quicker than you would think, despite moves.
*drakes are weak to pierce, and bows do piece damage. Drake fire attacks are not magic, so woods really help.
*Drakes are strong, and can eat up Elves in one on one fights, so plan how you attack, and back them up with healers.
*With the exception of the burner and bibliest, they have inferior ranged attacks
*Saurians have skirmish, and so don't let them duck through ZoC to kill wounded units. They have low HP, so killing them is quite possible.
*Woses are flammable, so unsuspecting players will target them--use that to set up traps.
*Drakes suck on water, and mermen don't. Merman have the 5-3 ranged pierce attack, which in day and against drakes resisitances gets =35ish%damage.
*Drakes are lawful, and elves are neutral, so attack them at night whn the opportunity comes.
*gain control of villages, and back them up, as to bankrupt your opponent.
UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
-Clashers
-Burners
-Skirmishers
Against Loyalists
*Loyalists are just as diverse as the Elves are, and thus harder to define any definate strategy to use against.
*Horsemen charge, dealing double damage, meaning they can easily kill wounded units. To prevent this, make sure you can adequetly protect units you don't wnat to die. (Also, you deal double when they charge, so they will many attack wounded range-based units that will deal less damage.
*Horsemen are also really expensive, more s than any elvish unit, so fewer of them will be seen than Cavalry. These are more annoying, becasue they can't be slaughtered when they attack as easily, and when they upgrade they get a ranged attack.
*Loyalist units are all lawful, meaning they fight worse at night. This also means they fight better at day.
*Spearmen are not such jokes as they seem. They are relatively inexpensive, and have first strike, meaning don't attack them with really damaged unts. They also upgrade into scarier things, meaning, at least when I play, that you want to watch out for them.
*Woses are effective against Javelineers
*Heavy Infantry are resistant to bows and swords, so attack them with mages. Also, they do less damage to woses, meaning if you want a long prolonged fight to slow them down, use woses (as they regenerate, you will win unless other units are distracted and join the battle.
*STICK TO WOODS!
*they also have mermen (mermen fighers), but theirs have no ranged atack. Use that, and hope you outnember them, because the have a better melee attack.
*Fencers are elusivefoot, meaning they are harder to hit on all terrains than other units, and harder to hit in woods than elvish fighters. Attack them with archers, because fencers have no ranged attack, and archers have enough to average 1-2 hit per round. They also have a bunch of attacks on melee, so they are also good at killing off weak units.
*UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
-Fencers
-Spearmen
Against Dwarfs
*be prepared for an annoying fight.
*Dwarves have good HP, good resistances, and strong attacks. They are slow, however, and bad defences on all but mountains and hills.
*On average, your archers will do more damage than their thunderers, if they stick to the woods. That being said, it is far less stressful to kill them without using ranged attacks.
*Berserkers are scary...Real scary. So be scared, and attack them with archers instead, that should sufficiently woulnd them as to make them easier to kill. However, unless you are playing a n00b, they will use them to kill off your weakened, and somehow incapitated units, with can be very useful. However, if you have your stronger units block off your weaker ones, and keep the initiate in starting the fights yours, they are not as much of a problem.
*On resistances: be prepared to attack them more often than you think. They are, IB, resistant to blade pierce, impact, holy, not bad against fire or cold. (I could be severely misguided on this one). So when you attack, use fighters mainly as fodder, use shamans to slow them (they have few, strong attacks, like undead), and than use mages to kill them.
*DO NOT USE MAGES UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT THEY WILL NOT DIE THE FOLLOWING TURN. They cost 20 gold, which is a lot.
* Use Common Sense (tm)
UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
*Thunderers
*Berserkers
*everything else
Against Northerners
*This is one of the easier pairings. Although they have more strength and HP, the orcs have several major weaknesses.
*Stay to the woods, and off mountains, most orcs/goblins (read:all) are better than all elves on them.
*Grunts and trolls are immensely strong, but have few attacks. Slowing them is good, if you can then protect your units.
*Woses are good shields, especially against trolls, they both regenerate, have strong resistances, and are easy to hit--if you want to divert enemy troops, this the the way.
*Orcs are chaotic, so attack them during the day. Remember, you can still attack them during the night, as you are neutral--it just won't be as easy.
*Your archers kill crossbowmen. Just keep them away from woses and you're all set.
*Slayers are really annoying--they are elusive and have a poison and strong melee. Use things that hit often (read: many attacks and/or marksmanship and magic), but make sure you can heal (druids, WMs, and villages)
*Goblins are cute and adorable, but they can level up fast, and are stronger than most people think. They also have the Rouser now, which gives the little ones +25% to their attack. They are easy to kill with archers though.
*In water. They have nagas. Nagas are stronger than your mermen, but have no ranged attacks. They will most likely hit you when they attack (multiple hits), so try and overpower them one at a time.
UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
*things close to leveling
*Grunts (at night)

Feel free to post any more elf exclusive advice--I need dwarf advice.
Thanks to :EP,JW,unsung
Last edited by Thrawn on March 15th, 2006, 10:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Elf Strategies

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Since I have some thoughts on Rebels vs. Undead, I shall comment. :twisted:
Thrawn wrote:Against undead
*play smart
Doesn't that go against any faction?
Thrawn wrote:*[Dark Adepts] have no melee attack
The Undead player is not very good if he gets more than 1 Dark Adept before you've done your initial recruiting. Beyond that, Dark Adepts are still not very important.
Thrawn wrote:*undead are resistant to pierce and blade, (though you can still attack them) so use mages and woses, they are average to fire, killed by holy, and killed by impact.
Rebels don't have significant impact. Their holy powers are negligible. And if you use Mages and Woses, you only have enough money for one half decent battlefront, and the enemy Skeletons can loot the whole battlefield before you can engaged in half a battle, because you're so darn slow. Mages and Woses cost a lot.
Thrawn wrote:*attack ghosts with ranged attacks when possible, they cna't drain that way. Kill them quickly, becaue they level into even more annoying buggers.
Use Mages. Anything but mages is not good at all against a Ghost.
Thrawn wrote:*Necromancers are not undead yet, do not attack them with White mages!!!!
Very lucky you if you manage to even get any White Mages at a decent XP setting.
Thrawn wrote:*Elves have 30-40%CtbH on forest, undead have 50% do the math.
Skeletons take 40-60% damage against Elves, Elves take 100% damage from Skeletons! Do the math again!
Thrawn wrote:*Undead units are chaotic, attack during day, dusk, and remember, elves are neutral, so they don't suffer at night. Mages and Mermen do, so keep them back during the witching hours.
RUN LIKE HELL during the witching hours. The Undead are devastatingly powerful at Night. Even Northerners prefer to fight in Day, against the Undead.
Thrawn wrote:UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
-ghosts
Skeletons are the real bothers - real melee fighters, plus supreme resistances against the attacks of enemy standard combat units. Ghosts are bothersome, but Mages slaughter them; Skeletons, on the other hand, destroy Mages when matched gold for gold.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Thrawn wrote:*[Dark Adepts] have no melee attack
The Undead player is not very good if he gets more than 1 Dark Adept before you've done your initial recruiting. Beyond that, Dark Adepts are still not very important.
I wouldn't say that, EP. They are important to take out high defense units. Granted, you don't need many, but they are still important.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
Skeletons take 40-60% damage against Elves, Elves take 100% damage from Skeletons! Do the math again!
CtbH=Chance to be Hit. They are struck 30 or 40% of the time in forest. Undead are struck 50% of the time in forest. But yeah, I only use Elvish Fighters as placeholders against Undead because of the resistancy issues.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Thrawn wrote:Against undead
*play smart
Doesn't that go against any faction?
put that up before note saying read common sense-removed
Thrawn wrote:*undead are resistant to pierce and blade, (though you can still attack them) so use mages and woses, they are average to fire, killed by holy, and killed by impact.
Rebels don't have significant impact. Their holy powers are negligible. And if you use Mages and Woses, you only have enough money for one half decent battlefront, and the enemy Skeletons can loot the whole battlefield before you can engaged in half a battle, because you're so darn slow. Mages and Woses cost a lot.
Thrawn wrote:*attack ghosts with ranged attacks when possible, they cna't drain that way. Kill them quickly, becaue they level into even more annoying buggers.
Use Mages. Anything but mages is not good at all against a Ghost.
make up your mind, man--your contradicting yourself :)
No, really, the point of this is that if you must, use ranged, as it's not as annoying.
Thrawn wrote:*Necromancers are not undead yet, do not attack them with White mages!!!!
Very lucky you if you manage to even get any White Mages at a decent XP setting.
which is why you don't want to lose it against a necromancer.
noted
Thrawn wrote:*Undead units are chaotic, attack during day, dusk, and remember, elves are neutral, so they don't suffer at night. Mages and Mermen do, so keep them back during the witching hours.
RUN LIKE HELL during the witching hours. The Undead are devastatingly powerful at Night. Even Northerners prefer to fight in Day, against the Undead.
editted
Thrawn wrote:UNITS TO WATCH OUT FOR
-ghosts
Skeletons are the real bothers - real melee fighters, plus supreme resistances against the attacks of enemy standard combat units. Ghosts are bothersome, but Mages slaughter them; Skeletons, on the other hand, destroy Mages when matched gold for gold.
editted.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

unsung

Post by unsung »

You should note that a javlineer is capable of dealing 20 dmage in ranged and meele and is only effectively countered by woses. and that pikemen have a pierce resistance so ranged is a bit less effective (wose is effective until they level up)
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Where's "Against Knalgans" or "Against Northerners"? :?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Flametrooper wrote:Where's "Against Knalgans" or "Against Northerners"? :?
I forgot about this due in part to my forgetfulness, and the rest due to lack of other responce (I know a bit about BfW strategy, but not even I would claim that these lists are near complete--I don't have newest versions, so I can't play on-line, and I've stopped playing comp. games mostly)

I will continue it though.

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I've listed all the things I think I know...feel free to correct me. The last two sections are lacking :(

dorenvelt

Post by dorenvelt »

thank you for this good overall tips and hints
nebula955

Post by nebula955 »

trees have significant impact damage...and they're effective against all but mages
EDIT: OBVIOUSLY OTHER THAN DRAKES
Last edited by nebula955 on May 16th, 2007, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

What match up are you talking about. Every race can handle woses without much difficulty besides prehaps undead.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

nebula955 wrote:trees have significant impact damage...and they're effective against all but mages
and units on good terrain, and units that slow, and more than one unit, and undead units at night...and drakes.

Think outside the box :)

wow, I never thought I 'd see this again !!! 0_@{!!)

F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

You may want to mention the use of fighters against adepts, and also to soak damage up *from good terrain only*. That's being picky, but it's true, fighters on grass are just too easy to kill.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I find buying lots of units and using them to kill the enemies works best. Smaller numbers of troops are less effective. :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah, this tutorial is a bit old, and a number of the comments within it are now inaccurate due to balancing changes.