Endless discussion about luck and other unsavory things

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Starev91

Post by Starev91 »

podunk wrote:When I was new I really didn't understand why you could encircle a troll on hills at night and he would not only live through 2 rounds but kill 2 of your units while he was at it. I mean, he's only got 78 hit points and you've got 200 HP of damage there – there just has to be something wrong with these dice!
200 hp of damage BEFORE making allowances for hit chance?

Of course, if it was an orcish warlord on his throne/encampment tent, that's a 40% chance to hit-80 damage expected. That's still a kill, but it's much more liable to lean to one side or the other then 200 damage. One extra miss with an elvish warrior and that's not a kill.

(I used to curse my "bad luck" in the HttT campaign, but when I calculated the math to actually figure out how bad my luck was, it turned out I was having better luck then I should've been. I wasn't counting hit chance in my thinking, and so thought that 150-200 damage should easily kill an orcish warlord on it's base, when it was really iffy wiether it would or not :oops: )
Think numbers in a username is wierd? Think maybe I should've gone for something original? I was thinking maybe Terevet, but if someone knew me elsewhere they wouldn't recognize me then :)

Terevet is my MP name however.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

podunk wrote:I read these forums for hours and no where did it mention that your loyal thieves will advance to assassins which are powerful very durable units.
Good thing it didn't mention that, because Assassins are *not* very durable. Just like most threads, this one contains both good advice and terrible advice. I see nothing special about it, at least beyond the fact that it keeps being ressurected.
podunk wrote:I think the title of the thread should be changed to something a little more newbie friendly.
I don't think the title "My tactics" is any better for attracting newbies than this one. Also, it is my opinion that a thread title should describe the thread, rather than being engineered to attract certain kinds of users to it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
podunk

Post by podunk »

They look pretty tough to me! :-)
Attachments
Return_to_Wesnoth_replay.zip
(49.3 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
pqueiro

Post by pqueiro »

I can think of various adjectives to apply, and God knows a pack of loyal Assassins is capable of wreaking a lot of havoc at a very low cost, but durable? :shock: Dwarvish Lords, Grand Knights and such units are durable, Assassins are not :P
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
Elvish_Pillager

A nerfed Orcish Warlord, non strong, during the Day, can kill an Assassin in one attack. A strong backstabbing Assassin at Night can't kill the nerfed Orcish Warlord in one attack.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
podunk

Post by podunk »

I conceded the point on “tough� and “durable.� Assassins are extremely elusive and seldom hit. If they are in the woods or in a village or castle hex they're very hard to kill.

I'm not sure what nerfed is (it's not in Scott's official acronym guide) but who would try to kill a Warlord with one unit? Plus warlords are 15-3. At -25% for day time that's only 34 damage and assassins are 51? That's if the warlord hits them all – assassins are 70% defense just about everywhere.

What I like to do with warlords and other bosses is slip a couple of assassins in ahead of my troops. A little poison, a back stab or 2, by the time my regular troops get there the boss bad guy is almost done and you can let a low level unit stick a fork in to get an easy 24 XP.

Can you tell assassins and other chaotic units are my faves right now? :twisted:
Elvish_Pillager

podunk wrote:I'm not sure what nerfed is
It means that in a recent version, there melee was reduced from 13-4 (52 damage) to 15-3 (45 damage).
d
podunk wrote:Plus warlords are 15-3. At -25% for day time that's only 34 damage and assassins are 51?
No, it's 48 damage because Assassins are weak to Blade, and assassins are 42 (unless they've changed since... I'm probably a bit out of date.)
Sly

Post by Sly »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
podunk wrote:Plus warlords are 15-3. At -25% for day time that's only 34 damage and assassins are 51?
No, it's 48 damage because Assassins are weak to Blade, and assassins are 42 (unless they've changed since... I'm probably a bit out of date.)
Yeah, they're now 51 (since 1.1.2 I think)
Elvish_Pillager

Oh, so it now needs to be a Strong Orcish Warlord in the daytime. Fine. :P