Clearwater Port

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

I have posted a replay in the campaign feedback thread for Clearwater Port and another in the User's Forum, please check my profile :)

The strategy I employed was: use heaps of healers and rush towards the middle and form a line. In order to form a line against the formidable lvl 2 units that the AI fields, you have to deploy high hp units (i had 2 loyal Iron maulers up to that task).

I recruited the outlaw series of units to be able to hold the line better as they have better mobility and higher defense values, although if you have bad luck they can die abruptly.

On about my 8th turn, with the extra income i had from capturing all of the friendly AI's villages (believe me this is doing the incompetent friendly AI AND yourself a favour) , I recalled the heavy hitters: 1 royal guard and 2 Halbediers.

All in all- form a line well supported by healers, don't lose advanced units, and keep an eye on attacking the more devastating Orcish Crossbowmen Orc Warrior and Goblin Impalers.
thesoothsayer

Post by thesoothsayer »

Something tells me I need to restart. I don't have any high level knights since I found the bowmen to be much more effective for me earlier on.

I'm on medium and this is what I have:
1 Mage of Light
2 White mage
1 Dwarven Lord
1 Royal guard
1 Master bowman
1 Pikeman
1 Javelineer
1 Trapper
2 Bandits
Lvl 2 Outlaw Princess
Lvl 2 knight
Lvl 2 leader

Anyone think I can kill all 3 leaders?

I played the Southguard on easy and I guess I didn't realise the difficulty of winning through on medium. Should have valued my men more. Made some stupid sacrifices early on.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You didn't save Eldaric's Guards in the second scenario? You're pretty much screwed without them, i'm afraid. I got to Clearwater Port without them my first time through tRoW and got stuck there - they have the staying power you desperately need on this scenario that only Burin also has. But even with them, i struggled to catch the third ship, and definitely had no chance at killing any leaders. But i didn't have any high level knights, either. Mayb e one Knight, i think...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You didn't save Eldaric's Guards in the second scenario? You're pretty much screwed without them, i'm afraid. I got to Clearwater Port without them my first time through tRoW and got stuck there - they have the staying power you desperately need on this scenario that only Burin also has. But even with them, i struggled to catch the third ship, and definitely had no chance at killing any leaders. But i didn't have any high level knights, either. Mayb e one Knight, i think...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
thesoothsayer

Post by thesoothsayer »

I replayed from scratch and managed to pass this level. This game reminds me of Myth a lot because tactics and preservation of troops is of utmost importance.

Anyway, this time round, I entered Clearwater at medium difficulty with the following:
1 Mage of Light, 1 white mage, 1 normal mage
1 Paladin, 1 knight, 2 horsemen
1 Bandit, 1 thug
2 Trappers
1 Outlaw princess
1 Dwarf Lord
3 Eldaric's guards
1 Royal guard
1 Javeliner
2 Longbowmen
1 Assasin
1 spearman

I left the Mage of Light, 1 longbowman and Haldric to defend the north eastern edge near the docks.

The rest were used to defend against the attacking waves. After the first wave, my knight, 1 horseman, longbowman and spearman had a great attack of opportunity against the southern boss and I managed to wipe him out. The rest of the troops continued to advance towards the western boss. After the 2nd wave, my horsemen managed to kill off the western orc chief after his troops surrounding him were wiped out by the rest.

In general, I put Eldaric's guard as the first line of defense in the middle with either the lawful or chaotic guys at their side depending on the time of day and with my paladin and white mages close behind. Normally, the orcs attack at night so the chaotic units are usually the defenders. At dawn, my chaotic units fall back for healing and the lawful units charge out to wipe out the remainder of the injured foes. Then in the daytime, my horsemen come charging out and wipe out those units further away, only withdrawing behind my lines at dusk for healing.

In the end, I lost 1 trapper and 2 bandits and had 600+ gold remaining.