The Powers of Drain

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

The Powers of Drain

Post by turin »

This is a replay i have of a game played between my brother (100 gp, undead) against the AI (999g gp, northerners)
I think that this replay has many values. True, he did not win, but it proves that-
1) the Lich is extremely powerful
2) the computer can be, if not beaten, tied if it has 999 gold
3) the AI needs to consider the effects of specialties such as drain

(if you first un-gzip it, then copy it into your saves directory you should be able to load it. turn [show replay] on, and load the game)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

The Lich is by far the most powerful leader unit. It has better statistics than all the other leaders and is the only one that can advance to Level 4.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

There is currently a problem that it's not possible to watch replays of multiplayer games (i.e. any games set up from the multiplayer screen).

However it looks like he mainly relied on using the Lich's drain power to stay alive even when surrounded by six first level orcs.

Perhaps we should make the multiplayer leader for the undead the Death Knight instead of the Lich. Or...we could just take drain power away from Liches.

Thanks for posting the replay.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ave

Post by Ave »

I vote for the deathknight.

Btw, would it be possible to pre-generate a few 'multiplayer' games of different difficulties for single/multi human/computer players? These could be single map scenarios distributed with the game.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

vs the AI the lich is very powerfull but versus human players his advantages are way less. This is a designed desition, weaker (or more expensive) troops better leader.
Maybe lowering again its melee attack it will balance the things a bit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

the new attacks should be 4-3 for lichs, still drain, and 5-4 for ancient lichs, still drain. This would probably make it more balanced than it is now, although it might still be too powerful. you have to remember they (ancient lichs) have the most powerful ranged attack in the game- much better than great mage.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
miyo

Post by miyo »

Please notice that undead evolution tree is different in CVS, e.g. Lich does not advance to anything anymore.

http://changelog.wesnoth.org

- Miyo