difficult level

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gandalf

difficult level

Post by gandalf »

Well, how do you win the first scenario in the campaign at the difficult level?
I get smashed, like a thing that gets smashed, by the enemy.
Any strategy hints? A 3rd level troll is not funny to meet in the forrest.
I've managed to win at the easy level, but this seems to be impossible.
Kamahawk

Re: difficult level

Post by Kamahawk »

gandalf wrote:Well, how do you win the first scenario in the campaign at the difficult level?
I've managed to win at the easy level, but this seems to be impossible.
Thats why you run around him. Just make sure every move you make puts you at leat a hex away from his maximum movemt area. Or you could blow chunks out of with delfador and then finish him off with arrows.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Or perhaps you could try on 'normal' difficulty level before attempting hard?

Also, make sure you go north across the bridge with Delfador and Konrad, and then veer north-west. If you take the route past Chantal in the western castle, you will surely get jammed across the western edge of the map and crushed.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Circon

Post by Circon »

Dave wrote:Or perhaps you could try on 'normal' difficulty level before attempting hard?

Also, make sure you go north across the bridge with Delfador and Konrad, and then veer north-west. If you take the route past Chantal in the western castle, you will surely get jammed across the western edge of the map and crushed.

David
What?? I *always* go past Chantal with D&K, while sending 1 Elven fighter down the path to the village just south, and the rest of my recruited units go north to help Galdrad. Haven't been pinned so far... haven't done this on Hard though.
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

Well, how do you win the first scenario in the campaign at the difficult level?
I've managed to win at the easy level, but this seems to be impossible

I beated it in hard, but i had to restart seven times (the AI goes for konrad and delfador in a desperate way!!), and tried several approaches, the one which worked better was sending delfador and the fighters through the bridge, and konrad alone Chantal, while the fiighters made a kind of breathing room for him. I must admit that without chantal's help I wouldn't have broken the trap set by the orcs, and in the end, konrad arrived the last turn to the signpost.

Of course, i didn't care about economy or Galdrad (who stood several turns with an incredible boldness against a troll and three goblin knights, i must say :P ), and only one of my fighters survived (a elvish hero with 40 xp!!)

I don't think that Delfador with 5hp wasn't hit in plains by a troll, a goblin rider and an assasin was important, only a bit of luck :roll: :wink: :P

Now i'm in the mountain pass and i'm afraid of darkness... :roll:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote:
Dave wrote:Or perhaps you could try on 'normal' difficulty level before attempting hard?

David
What?? I *always* go past Chantal with D&K, while sending 1 Elven fighter down the path to the village just south, and the rest of my recruited units go north to help Galdrad. Haven't been pinned so far... haven't done this on Hard though.
This strategy works fine on easy and medium. It doesn't work well on hard because the enemy will target Konrad and Delfador specifically, so you can't just "sneak past" along the edge of the map any more.

I have actually managed it using this strategy, but it is very hard. Much easier to use the other route.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I don't think it's that difficult.

I usually cross the river a few hexes west of the bridge, and then head directly for the open area.

Keep some fighters around Konrad. Your allies should be the main force fighting the orcs - your fighters are just there in case there is a "line break".

On hard, it's quite tough to win blackwater port early (but still doable). I always have great difficulty on isle of anduin, though, mostly cos I don't have much gold.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire