Can't get past level 2 on the gryphon campaign...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WyldGryphon

Can't get past level 2 on the gryphon campaign...

Post by WyldGryphon »

Okay. Let me first say that I have tried this mission five times and cannot find the stupid zolphas. I know that they're somewhere to the south-east and like dirt, but I have scanned the entire map (I'm pretty sure) and still cannot locate them.

I don't know why this is so hard, but it is. I need help. Could someone please tell me where the zolphas are?

Also, will they show up on the screen, or will I have to find them by standing on a certain spot of dirt, and then they'll appear?
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

It's a certain spot of dirt. Southeast, and it's pretty prominent - look for obvious shapes on the map.
WyldGryphon

Post by WyldGryphon »

But will the zolphas show up automatically or will I have to stay on the spot for them to appear the next turn? (Sorry, but it's hard to word my request. i'm just a weetawwd!)
scott

Post by scott »

They'll show up when you hit the square.

You can examing the scenario configuration file if you want to know the exact answer.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
WyldGryphon

Post by WyldGryphon »

Thanks. One last thing: How big is the area of dirt going to be? WIll it be just one hex, or will it be a bunch of hexes? Is there a single particular hex I must step on or is it a group of hexes?
scott

Post by scott »

I think it's just one hex.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
WyldGryphon

Post by WyldGryphon »

Well, I'm pretty sure I've checked just about every hex of dirt on the map. I'm on a mac, so I can't really check the source code to find the exact hex. I'm also using the latest version of Wesnoth just in case this changes anything. I'm wondering if it will even work with a mac, or if it just won't appear due to an error or something. It seems like everyone else is having no trouble with this mission, so I have no idea why this is so hard for me. If there are any further hints anyone can give me, such as the shape that the area I must step on is in or the exact location of the hex, then I'd be much obliged.
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

its not a patch of dirt its some forest inside a circular pattern of snow forest in the south east
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
scott

Post by scott »

WyldGryphon wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure I've checked just about every hex of dirt on the map. I'm on a mac, so I can't really check the source code to find the exact hex. I'm also using the latest version of Wesnoth just in case this changes anything. I'm wondering if it will even work with a mac, or if it just won't appear due to an error or something. It seems like everyone else is having no trouble with this mission, so I have no idea why this is so hard for me. If there are any further hints anyone can give me, such as the shape that the area I must step on is in or the exact location of the hex, then I'd be much obliged.
Scenarios configuration files are text files.

They live in /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/data/campaigns

Open the "Gryphon's Tale" folder then the scenario folder. Drag a file onto the TextEdit icon to open it in text edit. There should be a 'moveto' event with some x,y coordinates telling you where you need to step.

(edit) If you were to do that, you would see that there is a double ring of lighter trees in the vicinity of 41,37 that looks interesting
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
toms

Post by toms »

There are very much threads about scenarios in gryphons tale...
But none about this one. Take a look in the snow forest.(in the south)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
WyldGryphon

Post by WyldGryphon »

Thanks alot. Really. Thanks.
Squee9

Post by Squee9 »

Speaking of the gryphon campaign, the next level is giving me some trouble. There is probably something obvious I'm missing, but I can't find it. I tried sitting on the town, but that fails miserably. Then I tried hiding on the snowplains. I get them to chase me into the snow, and then I pick off the one's at the end of the line, but I need 2 turns usualy to kill a lizard, and that's 2 turns that lizard gets to retaliate. I can't survive 8 attacks from them, please help me out. I will be very thankful.
Vilan

Post by Vilan »

Sitting on the town is no good. Your strategy is the one I used though... go into the snow plains. Their defense sucks there and they walk very slowly. Give them a turn or two to walk deeper into the snow. Then attack the heck out of whatever lizard is most alone. Attack from the side so his buddies can't walk over and assist. With your 50% defense he should miss enough of his attacks that you'll still have a few hit points left. Then fly over to the village and heal. Since you let the lizards waste several turns walking into the snow, it'll take them several to get back out again, enough for you to mostly heal up. When they get close, fly back into the snow and wait for them... you should be able to heal the rest of your hit points by resting there.