Ford of Abez

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ave

Ford of Abez

Post by Ave »

Finally managed to beat Ford of Abez (with seamonsters chasing me too). I think it is a bit too tough, even if i head right in the direction of the other side.
I did: summoned as many mermen as i could, moving delfador and kalenz to the nearest villages. Moving Konrad after summoned all mermen possible in the first turn.
Forming a line of mermen on the west side, walking with konrad, kalenz and delfador on the eastern side of the ford, so they are fartest of the seamonsters and one side protected.
Even with this tactic i lost konrad or kalenz a few times to sea monsters. Li'sar's army didn't even come close!
I guess the seamonsters should attack everyone coming near, just like the Griffons do!
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Did you level some of your mermen before facing the sea monster?
I manage to level on in the Bay of pearl (and let him get the trident in Ford of Abez), sent the other one with a trident from Bay of pearl to skirmish with the orcs together with other mermen, an elf faere...the first time even added an outrider. Like that you can weaken the orcs and level some mermen before the sea monster arrive. Also Konradd and Defendor should be covered/reinforced by some lvl3 units like Holy Avenger, elf champion aand a mage of light (bring the mermen to him when they are wounded fighting the orcs), but they should all have a mvt rate of 6 to keep a tight formation in water. The trick is to avoid being stuck fighting a wall of orc and the sea monster at the same time...witch usually happen to be nightttime.
Also you need onnly Konrad to cross the rive, so you can consider keeping Delfendor on the other side. You can usually keep Li'sa troup at bay with 3-4 units plus kalenz. A Paladin does well as long as he avoid charging pikemen. I also use some lvl2 units I want to level. But Konrad should move out at the end of the second turn.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Ave

Post by Ave »

Well, i managed the level without losing anything, but mermen, hehe. They are cheap like dirt. I guess your suggestion involves more loss, if those seamonsters gang up on something, it is dead due to the poison.
The wall of orcs (which i got) is relatively easy if konrad/kalenz/delfador got to hit first, then get protection from the remaining mermen.
aSosoMan

Post by aSosoMan »

In medium difficult, it can be solved with only perhaps a merman loss...

I was trying to finish the campaign only recruiting shamans, and the lvl 3 (Shyde) can fly, then they reach other side quick, just to stop the orcs. With one or two mermen you can stop the sea monsters and konrad just go quick to the top :)

aSosoman...

pd: Always done in a quick run mode, without going slowed that allowed :)
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

aSosoMan wrote:I was trying to finish the campaign only recruiting shamans,
You rock, how is that working out?
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
miyo

Post by miyo »

I have played with Shamans (Druid, Shydes) only (this was with 0.6.1, I think)... and it did go rather well. It was done to show how powerful healing already is.

- Miyo