Walkthrough for Northern Rebirth....

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ardenstone

The Pursuit

Post by Ardenstone »

The Pursuit:
Oh, goodness but this map is a heck of a thing. If you managed to defeat this thing on the first go then you're probably lucky and certainly a better player than I. It really (really) helps to know which way to go first (after defeating the two revenants). So what follows are the paths (from memory, so forgive the wrong names). The order I recommend is SW, E, SE, W, NW, NE although it's not quite that simple.

If I recall correctly, this is the level where you stop being able to recruit dwarves for a little while.

North - Main Chamber - Lots of revenants and whatever those huge axe wielders are. At least 4 revenants will tend to wander down early in the game, so you're going to have to at least get rid of them. Farther up is a giant trap, so I ended up skipping it. However, there's rumored to be powerful artifact (the rod of justice) up that way.

NE - Malifor's Study - Lots of powerful guys on pedestals to slow you down. But Malifor is at the Northern end. When you pop the lever his high level companions and recruits can be a pain. Get it over with fast. I ended up killing him with a white mage, although from Toms post that was a good thing.

E - Green Recruiting Death Knight (RDK) - The E and W sides are pretty much identical: a difficult to attack passage with a RDK at the end. The East (right) side has a major advantage: 3 holy waters. They only last this scenario, but make a huge difference. I ended up doing this almost last, so they only helped me with Malifor, but even then they were quite useful.

SE - Water - you travel from the bottom right to the top right of the screen, through 4-6 tentacles and a nest of Nagas. However, this is also a back entrance to Malifor's study. I sent a handful of guys this way, and by the time they hacked their way to the back entrance, it was literally one turn before I opened main gate. Nothing to gain but XP, so I'd skip this one. Oh, when you have a choice, the first right is a dead end (so go left/up), and the second turn you want to go right(still up). Going left unleashes a sea serpent. I suppose it's possible there's something really cool back behind the serpent, but he ate all my guys so I avoided him.

S - Where you start

SW - The Dungeon - Do this first. There's a RDK which I blocked in while my other troops pushed deeper into the dungeon to unleash the White Mages, healing elf and drake burner. The White Mages are immortal! If they die, they just re-appear wherever Talin recruits from. However, they lose all XP and go back to Level 2, so that's a huge pain if you have them upped to Mages of Light. When you free the drake, there is a tunnel in back of him. This goes from bottom left all the (long, long) way to the top left. It takes a while. But you get 3 (4?) more dwarves at the top, and a back entrance to the treasury.

W - Purple RDK - This guy is a pain. Doesn't do you any good to kill him, other than experience and the fact that if you don't kill him, he sends constant waves of skeletons into your flank.

NW - The Treasury - Dear lord is there a lot of gold here. Also, a lot of large monsters on castles and two RDKs at the first right and left turn. It doesn't matter when you do it, just make sure you get that gold before the scenario is over. There's no early finish bonus, other than you probably recruited well beyond your capacity to maintain (only a few villages), so it doesn't eat into your new shiny stash as much.
Last edited by Ardenstone on March 9th, 2007, 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ardenstone

Old Friend

Post by Ardenstone »

Old Friend:
I suppose you could try and defeat the four thousand or so enemies that show up. Has anyone done so? What's this do to the plot? I did the same thing Toms did and clogged the tiny entrance to the cave and then just waited them out. I used Heavy Infantry, but if your careful you should be able to level a few folks up.

You can recruit Heavy Infantry and Fencers from here on out.
Last edited by Ardenstone on March 8th, 2007, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ardenstone

Settling Disputes

Post by Ardenstone »

Settling Disputes:
This is a strange scenario, in part because you have to keep the dwarf leader alive, and you only have 3 mages over there until the rest of your force makes it over. This wouldn't be an issue, but gryphons can come flying in from offscreen and take this guy out, which is a huge pain.

Anyhow, I ended up using one of the white mages to blast the first brother. This puts him in "jail" and you kind of need to keep an eye on him early on lest a gryphon comes in from out of sight and lets him out. I sent the other white mage to kill the orc on the right, and then Mr. Burny to nuke the troll that's below that orc. Then I left the mage on the path, two squares below the village that's just to the right of the keep. The dwarf leader goes there, and if my mage was anywhere else, 3 gryphons would swoop in and eat the dwarf. This part is more luck than anything since Fog of War is on and you don't even know the gryphons are there until the dwarf is bird food.

Other than that, rush your guys to the bottom right to get the other lich. Kill him ASAP, and try not to recruit a second wave of guys. Oh, you start this scenario with 100gp because you left all your other gold with the dwarves. I did send the drake straight down (through a couple of gryphons) to capture some more villages. You want this level over quickly because you need all the gold you can get for the next one. Dwarves are useful to get around the lich's defenders and into the mountains. HI are less useful at endgame due to all the mountains.
Ardenstone

Elvish Princess

Post by Ardenstone »

Elvish Princess:
At this point I start to have trouble. Toms is right that you want to nuke that recruiting guy ASAP so you're left with a very large, well defended fort. However, I only started about 120gp, and there aren't enough villages to keep even that many guys maintained, so recruiting any more just isn't going to happen.

If they can move fast enough, you could send guys over the water to flank from the upper-left. I sent a few, and they didn't do much. Mainly, attacking from the bottom-right and main entrance close to your starting keep seem the way to go. There is no early finish bonus, so take your time. You'll need to cut your way through most of those orcs before its over.

This isn't too bad, but I was negative gold here, so started the next level with 100gp. You can't actually recruit anything in the next level, but I'm a tad worried about my gold situation two levels later.

Oh, and you can recruit gryphons at this point, but I don't think you can get any mages or trolls.
Last edited by Ardenstone on March 8th, 2007, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ardenstone

Introductions

Post by Ardenstone »

Introductions:
Fight your way through the trolls with whatever characters accompany you (no recruiting). This is where it's handy to have kept the drake and other companions alive and leveled up. :)

I sent a guy up, saw all the trolls, and came back so that the trolls came to me in a bit of a bottleneck. Then just chopped them up and sent Talin to the upper-left to touch the sign. There is a passage to the right that goes around everyone, it's possible Talin could sneak up that and around the battle for an earlier finish bonus. You want the biggest bonus possible.
Ardenstone

Stolen Gold

Post by Ardenstone »

So "Stolen Gold" is interesting. I haven't defeated it since the first time I tried I was plastered. You're in the middle of 4 troll generals with probably not a lot of gold. After the 1st turn the drake runs off (not sure what happens here if he's dead) and on turn 7 a bunch of drakes set up camp directly to the left to Talin. They're on your side so this is good. At turn 8, you take control of the drakes and Talin is run by the computer. Unfortunately, I'd tried going to the left so the drakes set up camp in the middle of a huge nest of trolls, and couldn't recruit. The drakes start with 200gp to recruit from, regardless of how much gold Talin has at that point (I started with about 140gp so this map can be a little tight).

There are a _lot_ of trolls.
Sly

Re: The Pursuit

Post by Sly »

Ardenstone wrote:The Pursuit:
North - Main Chamber - Lots of revenants and whatever those huge axe wielders are. At least 4 revenants will tend to wander down early in the game, so you're going to have to at least get rid of them. Farther up is a giant trap, so I ended up skipping it. However, there's rumored to be powerful artifact (the rod of justice) up that way.
If I remember correctly, the trap will reopen if Malifor is killed without Holy damage. So he'll respawn at the end of the SE corridor and the entrance to the main chamber reopen (you just ave to kill the Spiders and take the left path to get the Rod ;)
Ardenstone wrote:SE - Water - you travel from the bottom right to the top right of the screen, through 4-6 tentacles and a nest of Nagas. However, this is also a back entrance to Malifor's study. I sent a handful of guys this way, and by the time they hacked their way to the back entrance, it was literally one turn before I opened main gate. Nothing to gain but XP, so I'd skip this one. Oh, when you have a choice, the first right is a dead end (so go left/up), and the second turn you want to go right(still up). Going left unleashes a sea serpent. I suppose it's possible there's something really cool back behind the serpent, but he ate all my guys so I avoided him.
You missed something very interesting here : a loyal Whraith :!:
When you first enter in water, you have to take the left path (best with the Shyde, as she fly over water :wink: ) and he's at the dead end.

Ah and Old Friend can't be killed : more wolf knights pop when you approach him :twisted: .
Ardenstone

The Pursuit

Post by Ardenstone »

Yeah, I'd read earlier about the wraith and couldn't for the life of me envision where that extra "water village" was, unless maybe it was behind that stupid sea serpent. So I resumed an old game from Pursuit and waded through the water until I found that branch (after first looking behind the sea serpent ("maybe if he eats enough dwarves he'll choke on one of them...")). I'd looked to the left of the pool when I first played the map, but had confused the fade for the edge of deep water.

So now time to reply a lot of levels. Much more fun with the wraith and the Rod of Justice! It's been a real fun campaign, lots of bigger battles which is neat.

Thanks for the heads up! :)
Ardenstone

Stolen Gold

Post by Ardenstone »

Stolen Gold:
This is another large battle, in the sense that there are lots of foes. However, you may only start out with 200gp so your side is a little weaker. :)

Use Krash to recruit an out of the way village the first turn, because before turn 2 he flies away. Around turn 8 (I think) he comes back with friends, sets up camp and can recruit. You take control of him the next turn, which is fun. He is another flag, so you end up controlling two different factions, which was a first for me.

He always appears to the left of Talin's initial start. Near the left-edge of the screen (against that village), about where Krash flies off-screen. This is important because, if you've led a bunch of trolls to this area by the time Krash appears, he'll probably just get destroyed. You really want him in the next scenario, so try to avoid this!

On turn 18 a bunch of elves appear, this time on the right side of the screen (near that big citadel of a village). Both times I played this was during endgame, so they're pretty much useless if you've been somewhat aggressive.

My technique (aka: the game I didn't get Krash and/or everyone else killed) was to send Alfred and a royal guard to the upper left. The troll king there comes out to that village on the first round, which is within striking distance. I killed him and then those two troops ran the heck away from the rest of his trolls, following the rest of my army which I sent to the bottom-left. You miss a screen of dialog if you kill the bottom-left TK before Krash appears (he's less afraid than the other troll king), but that's probably still a good strategy. :) There remain lots of trolls to wipe up after this, but Krash shouldn't be totally surrounded and it was doable. Note that one of my white mages died early on, which really made it a lot easier. She reincarnates in the center, where a bunch of trolls will hang out, killing her, then she instantly reincarnates, and the trolls who haven't gone attack her, etc. She managed to kill a couple of trolls in the midst of near-constant rejuvenation, but mainly it distracted a non-trivial sized group of them.
Erunion

Post by Erunion »

Please, PLEASE tell me that the attack on the orc leader and his four cronies and their army of level 3 bodygaurds is the last level, because if not.... I am very, very, very dead. Silly me thought that I should just dodge the trap, so I missed the ROJ, and sillier me thought that that was deep water, so I missed poor old Roger the loyal wraith. In the city siege I have been losing several high level units, and just spammin level 1's to win, (albeit, the Drake and Elf team's are doing quite well... I came in here with 3049 gold for each of us...)
"Never put off for tommorow what you can do today."
Isn't that a wonderful proverb? I think I'll start listening to it. Tommorow.
jonadab

Re: Walkthrough for Northern Rebirth....

Post by jonadab »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I manage to hold off the orcs, but with nothing but peasants, it's a little hard to throw them back. I got one upgraded to a bowman, but they die so easily, as soon as they get close to leveling up the AI snuffs them out. When I try again, I'll make sure not to release the trolls; they drew troops away from my central front. The southern front I abandoned when his warlord entered the fight, so I pulled back to the forest and wiped out his wolf-riders. I also have a few peasants running around far south stealing villages, with an archer in pursuit. No problem recruiting new peasants, just having trouble keeping them alive.
For the first scenario (Breaking the Chain, or something like that), I developed a whole new strategy, quite different from anything I've ever done in any other Wesnoth scenario. It works well, for this scenario. Basically, the strategy is to make your enemies expend the maximum resources you can arrange for every peasant they kill. Do this by placing your peasants on the best terrain you can, preferably with all the unoccupied adjascent terrain being inferior, so that the enemy units take as much dammage as possible -- though this is less important than having *your* units on good terrain, so they can waste the time of as many enemy units as possible for as many turns as possible. Do NOT keep your peasants all together in a big clump. Fan out over the whole map, find good terrain, and stand on it. It's okay to allow one of your peasants to be surrounded by numerous enemy units, as long as your peasant is on good terrain. If they kill the peasant that's standing on a village, you should have other peasants within reach that can move to that village any time it's unoccupied. Meanwhile they should be standing on the most defensive terrain they can find in the area.

The rules of engagement I used were as follows:
* Do not attack an enemy unit unless you are pretty sure you can kill it in one turn, even if the RNG doesn't exactly favor you.
* Do not attack with multiple peasants against an enemy unit, even to kill it, unless you can place most of the attacking peasants on good terrain in the process.
* Do not attack with multiple peasants against an enemy unit, even to kill it, if the peasants will all likely sustain dammage, even on good terrain. If you can't do what you need to do with mostly the ranged pitchfork attack against melee units, just find some good terrain to stand on and wait for the enemy unit to attack you. Only use your melee attack if the enemy unit is already so weakened that it will probably die from one unit's attack.
* Do not attack an enemy unit that's on a village, and try not to stand next to it either. Make it move away from the village to attack you. Then put a peasant in the village.
* If a peasant does manage to level up, pull it back and protect it. Do not risk any level-1 units you gain in a fair fight. Save them for fights where they can certainly survive and probably get a kill.
* When heading for villages far across the map, it's better to stop on good terrain (especially a village) two or three hexes short of your movepoints limit, rather than on mediocre terrain at the limit.
* You CAN afford to leave a peasant on a village just to guard the village, or even just because it looks like a good place to stand. In fact, you should almost always keep a peasant standing in the villages that are surrounded by low-defense terrain. (It doesn't have to be the same peasant each turn. In several places there are "chains" of villages stretching across the map, each reachable in one turn from the previous one, so you can advance each peasant one village per turn and thus keep all the villages occupied and still be effectively moving peasants across the map.)

Remember, *their* units have upkeep. Yours do not.

As a secondary goal, you want to control as many villages as possible, preferably at least 50 by no later than midway through the alotted turns. Since your units have no upkeep, this allows you to recruit six more peasants each and every turn. Hopefully you should be losing less than that per turn, so your numbers accumulate. As the orcs kill eachother off, and you take their villages, they run out of gold and troops until your vast force of peasants is absolutely overwhelming by sheer numerical advantage. Since their units are so much better, you don't want to fight five-on-one or even ten-on-one. You want to fight more like twenty-on-one or better.

Do not bring out the trolls unless one of the orc enemies still has a lot of units when the other is nearly vanquished. Try to arrange things so that this does not happen, because it's better to have the orcs more or less balanced, so they can mostly kill one another down to the last small handful of units. You take all the villages, so after a certain point your enemies will find it hard to replace any of their units that die. Try to balance it so they both run out of recruits around the same time, more or less.

When the enemies are down to pathetically small numbers, only then you move in for the kill, en masse, and you stop recruiting at that point and pull your leader forward. Now you don't need zones of control because you can surround each enemy unit with a veritable mob of peasants two or three hexes thick all the way around, and there's no skirmishing through that. Try very hard to catch them on any terrain *other* than village, so they can't heal, and attack with eight fresh (undammaged) peasants each turn, pulling any surviving-but-injured units back. Try to get the killing blow on one of the enemy leaders with your leader, if at all possible.

On normal difficulty, I was able to get about five units, including my leader, advanced to lvl1. (It might have been six. I didn't count.) Not knowing what the rest of the campaign holds, I went for a roughly even mix of spearmen and bowmen.

Note that if you have the option, it's nice to get some quick units advanced to lvl1, since they're more viable in caves than non-quick ones, and the very next scenario is in a cave. However, you will also in the next scenario be able to recruit some units that move better in caves anyhow, so it's not as vital is it might have been.
I write Bible School materials:
http://bibleschoolmaterials.blogspot.com/
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

On hard, I ended up with some 315+ gold at the beginning of the second scenario. It looks to me though that defeating all units is completely out of the question. The north and south trolls I can handle by placing units in the pinch points(just next to the exit to Camerin's village up north) and the first village on the south south. This means that 4 units north, specifically a spearman, 2 poachers and a bowman with rotation(without Camerin who is immediately sent to fight off the skeletons) can hold and level up, and similarly south 4-5 poachers can also hold: One stays in the village, and one next to him. The guy in the village can be attacked by at most 2 units, while the other guy by at most 1. With rotation this force holds and levels. However, pushing to eliminate the trolls is extremely hard and costly. I just don't think it's possible with that kind of gold.
The real problem is the skeletons: If one tries to get to the open in the west, one gets massacred by skeletons and trolls. The hope is to let them
kill each other and deal with the survivors. However, even so, although one can beat off the skeleton waves at the original fort, advancing east
even after 25 or so turns runs into zounds of skeletons or both skeletons and lv2 and 3 trolls. So on hard in 1.2.4 I'm not sure if anyone has
beaten the scenario. Then again, this was my first attempt.
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

The Northern Rebird. - on easy
Im relativly long playing wesnoth. I had played HTTT in hard with no losses more then once and also "Under both suns" with no losses.
TNR - just one easy-it is a real challange

The Persuit
How old are you? Did you ever play DOOM/DOOM2?
For be the best Level off All Time had been the Level "The Crusher" (this were you must fight against the mega spider)
Now I think "The Persuit" is much better.
Even when you play it for the first time and don´t know nothing about it.
I made it two times. on the first try I trapped in every trap and lose all my army end ended upon turn 108 with only 3 dwarven lords. That had been a great buttle but I dit it one time better with saving of 12 dwarven Lords in turn 89.
Hint: ive this cepter you find to one of your drawven lords. He will reward you.

Old friend
WOW, WOW, WOW! Tactics win it.
I managed to set all my dwarvs as a battle line on rocks.
for all following scenes: 3 dwarvs backuped by a healer sitting on 70% resistance ground - thats the fortress for your flancs, while your grand mage control the center
do not use ground lesser 50% restsitance and rotate as often as possible.
I could defeed the pink an green leader.
Most difficult at the end of the game had been to avoid the trigger. Be suprised if you dont. You have to fight against 40 wolves at one time.

Settling Disputes
Key: recruid the most strongest 5 dwarfes. Don´t let your with mages be slaughterd.
Hurry as fast you can to the east with your leader.
He can recruid more on the dwarfs castle
Send your flying units together against the grivons - but its hard to survive them.
Give the Blue at least two villages - he will assist you
Stay close together in the rocks .
You may run out of time very easy.

Elvis Princess
"Oh, I forgot: You get the liches as starting units. Smile And you can recruit troll whelps, young ogres and gryphons then. Very Happy"
Sorry I could not. I only can recruit grivons.

Kill the blue leader very fast.
You will need good blocker on flat ground to guard your mages, so recruid advanced swordsman - dwarfes can´t withstand the orkish warlords in the castle.

It had been a heavy fight and I lost my dragon and that who carries the ceptre - a big loos *rip*.

Stolen Gold
You are surrounded by four troll Leaders.
Dwarfen Lord will make it.
Run to the north and build a fortress within the rocks.
Give the grand mage the center and the liches the flaks so the liches can defead the northern leader very easy if the time has come. Do not care about the south east leader. Later the elves come to assist you. Go for the SW leader as third.

The Eastern Fank
There comes the biggest off all battles I have ever survived
I did it this way: Recruid 6 dwarfen lords and hurry west , stay close, you have to fight on bad ground.
Rotate and assist with your healers.
But so you run out of time. Your white mages has to fight too. Be very carfully not let them killed.

Hint: Advance your Leader as fast as you can. He grows to L4 and gives leadership to L3-Units - Very helpfull
I made it in turn 41 of 42.

This is where I stand for now.

This new campaign is imo the best of all campaigns I ever played.
It contains the biggest and most difficult to win scenarios you can wish.
And also the dialogs are excellent.
Cause I´m german I think every translation can only make lose this feeling.

Im glad to found this campaign.

I hope it goes for prime campaign. But you has to give this a clear rating *VERY DIFFICULT*.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Northern_Rebirth

That's a link to a walkthrough for Northern Rebirth.

I've played through the campaign, and the best advice I can give you is to be ready to be patient at times, and rotate units to the villages whenever you can. You'll also have to learn not to become too attached to your units, as quite a bit are going to 'die'.

Some good things about Northern Rebirth is that you have to learn almost every tactic there is in the variety of all the combats there are. In the caves you'll learn to hold onto the places where you can place 2 units while the enemy can only one at a time it. Try to hold those positions until you're ready to bust through.

When you get loyal units, or special units like the Red Mage in Scenario 2: the Infested Caves, do your damndest to keep them alive as they're extremely useful. Same goes for your lucky units from the first few campaigns. Get a few leveled up if possible, especially thugs to highwayman in the Infested Caves. Footpads to Bandits is ok, but after the first few scenarios, they'll be left in your recall list.

Once you can recruit dwarves, get as many as possible up in ranks as a lot of the terrain favors them(mountains and caves).
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Aggressive_Kunst

Re: Walkthrough for Northern Rebirth....

Post by Aggressive_Kunst »

Well, playing the hardest level I start "cleaning the mines" with 439 gold...
Actually I think "cleaning the mines" and "malifor" are the most important levels. You need to recruit and train about a dozen dwarf fighters.
You wont have the chance to recruit Dwarves later on.
Take your time to hunt Malifor, ita a excellent training session. Just use the dwarves and some others of your main team(in my case some Vagrants) and train them. Dont overbuy, so you have a lot of time to train your team. Especially the undead should be trained at once.
Train the healer just to lvl3, if they are revived the lose all experience anyway til lvl3.
There no scenariolimit of turns. I took 351 turns to end this scenario.

Furthermore I think in "stolen gold" the strategy "stand and fight" wont work in the harder difficulties!
Dont overbuy you need the gold next scenario!
I only bought the 3 loyal dwarves. Rush to northwest and you can kill one trolleader in round 2.
Send the immortal healers directly to southwest, they will reach and kill the 2nd trollleader. Not needed but possible to send your ghost to the east and kill the other two trolleaders.
After killing the first troll move all but the healers and the ghost to middle west where the dragon will put up his camp and hold position there.
Position is covered north and south through terrain. Suggest not to buy dragons, just train the three you have.

regards
AggArt