Using Leaders to Fight

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sly

Post by Sly »

In Eastern Invasion, I gave Gweddry the second Holy amulet, so he levelled quickly after that (sword and crosbow aren't very usefull against undead ... holy ones are :twisted: ), so I discovered that he can level up to Marshall (lvl4) and so give +25% to lvl3 units 8) (really really cool)
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

Campaigns = Time limit, generally less income. I use the king as much as possible.

Skirmishes = No time limit, generally much greater income. I use the king to recruit and keep him tucked away safe.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

purki wrote:In dwarven doors you need to have Konrad leveled up.
I agree with leveling Konrad up, but it's not required for Dwarven Doors.

I finished Dwarven doors just fine by interposing a small group of fodder Elvish Riders between Konrad and the enemy - he'd reached the goal by the time the pursuing orcs caught up. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

IIRC, Dwarven Doors has been changed in SVN. I'd play the new one before commenting on the necessity or not of having Konrad leveled in that scenario. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I try to sqeak by with less and less troops Each time I play, and leveling Konrad up really helps. Same if you need to recruit lvl1's due to some erroer in gameplay--really strong attacks for weak units.

On Delf: you can also use him to trash really strong monsters, trolls and orcs, who have little or no ranged and HIGH Hp, then give the little ones in your army 16-24 hp.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Thrawn wrote:I try to sqeak by with less and less troops Each time I play, and leveling Konrad up really helps. Same if you need to recruit lvl1's due to some erroer in gameplay--really strong attacks for weak units.

On Delf: you can also use him to trash really strong monsters, trolls and orcs, who have little or no ranged and HIGH Hp, then give the little ones in your army 16-24 hp.
HP? Or EXP?
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Emmanovi wrote:
Thrawn wrote:I try to sqeak by with less and less troops Each time I play, and leveling Konrad up really helps. Same if you need to recruit lvl1's due to some erroer in gameplay--really strong attacks for weak units.

HP? Or EXP?
xp.my bad.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
jonadab

Re: Using Leaders to Fight

Post by jonadab »

Ginger_Ale wrote:Delfador - he's good for finishing people off,
This is over the long term a poor strategy. Delfador is already level 4; he can't level up any further. Consequently, it's better to use him to *weaken* enemy units, and then let other units take the kill and gain the XP. I do *occasionally* use Delfador to kill something, mainly when I feel it is necessary to keep my own units (especially experienced ones) alive, but on the whole it's best to take kills with units that you want to level up.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I always try to be as quick as possible, and in Httt, it's not that hard to level units up. So I do use Delfador, but I try to keep him behind the front, to be sure he won't get killed.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
JW

Post by JW »

Delfador is actually a weak level 5.

I used him in the beginning to take care of full hp trolls. If he doesn't kill them then they're easy pickins for my archers + good xp.

It worked pretty damn well.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Delfador is basically equivalent to a third level unit, but he gives enemies the experience of a level 5 unit. People (including me) have complained about this repeatedly, but to no avail. He remains a level-5-imposter. :(

IMHO, Delfador is most effective in scenario 1, where he can be used to shoot advanced trolls and orcs, and let your level 1 guys kill them. He's also pretty good at really damaging the leader of the north-west orcs, which can get one of your level 1 guys advanced pretty quickly if you get them the kill.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think he's level 5 more for realistic and scenario/campaign history reasons than for gameplay ones.

The one that is a pain, is Kalenz, when you have to move and protect him in the Scepter Of Fire scenario.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon