Faction Observations: Who's the strongest? Who's the best?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Thrawn wrote:...mods are still humans...
I disagree in the strongest possible sense! :P

But I do agree that this thread drastically needs to be rerailed.

EDIT: Sorry for that completely meaningless post. But I was at college at the time, and it was a choice between Wesnoth Forums or reading a 34 page essay guide.

Hard choice.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Shadowdweller wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:"Ring the bell, ref- I just broke his back with the Octopus Stretch-" -The Mandarin
Utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand, I know, but I've been meaning to ask you for some time, Doc: Who the hell is the Mandarin anyhow? Some manner of rap artist, I assume?
Yep.

...bold gates that are painted with souls, rich cloth, draw myths, lift the rainbow drawbridge
and carry it to Hades, so the dead gods can walk out across it
Use just a thought and two hands to level a jailyard with hail and salt, I call a maelstrom storm cloud from out of a pouch of sail cloth, Like Essau I’ll seize a blessing if it moves me, moonbeams
shine through my bandages regrow my hands when I stand up, lantern raised
parasites, phantoms turned into flames
The Mandarin, glows like mars when I stand near god
and my ears ring, icon painted on my shield when I face toward dawn.

-The Mandarin
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Gundulf of bec

Post by Gundulf of bec »

I wouldn't rate the factions in a top six order. They are really well balanced, just the terms of how difficult it is to use them is the question. Undead are extremely deadly when used effectively, whilst Rebels are easier to master (sure they're frail, but at least most of them deal moderate damage melee or ranged).
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Rebels have become more frail with the time, but they have high resistance (forest) and are quick. With a lot of fun abilities. I wouldn't really call them weak, though it's true their HP has been reduced a lot (since... well, let's say a while ago). That's part of why I've switched to knlagans instead of the elves I used to play with on multiplayer.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Tux2B wrote:Rebels have become more frail with the time, but they have high resistance (forest) and are quick. With a lot of fun abilities. I wouldn't really call them weak, though it's true their HP has been reduced a lot (since... well, let's say a while ago). That's part of why I've switched to knlagans instead of the elves I used to play with on multiplayer.
traitor.... :evil:
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
tadpol

Post by tadpol »

I think the factions are well balenced, if someone beats me in one combination they will probably beat me if played the opposite combination. (elves vs humans / humans vs elves)
As I see it most of the people who have posted here call a faction the best either because it's good points match their play style or because it's strong points thwart their play style.

All this is well and good *bunk* but the real reason I posted was express my sadness over people calling orcs no fun to play with. The assassin is SO much fun, and trolls are cool when given good ground to play on, but the real fun of orcs is throwing away grunts to lure tasty little elves to their doom on open ground, or dragging down $23 burners with a handful of goblins. And orcs aren't even my favorite faction right now.

Also before I /rant I'd like to ask about undead being cheap. 14 for archer 15 for fighter, that's the same (though switched) as humans, and more than orcs, and the elves and drakes (surians) both have fighters at this price. only dwarves are outright more expencive, but the understanding is undead are cheap. I'm I just being stupid?
/rant
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

tadpol wrote: Also before I /rant I'd like to ask about undead being cheap. 14 for archer 15 for fighter, that's the same (though switched) as humans, and more than orcs, and the elves and drakes (surians) both have fighters at this price. only dwarves are outright more expencive, but the understanding is undead are cheap. I'm I just being stupid?
/rant
The bat is the cheapest scout, with 13 gold, zero upkeep, and flying. 16 vs 20 on mage prices is pretty significant. 16 vs. 17 on the price of poison. 6 vs 8 on level 0 fodder (walking corpses are also free if you count plague). Humans may have cheap archers and spearmen, but that doesn't make skeletons expensive compared to, elvish archers for example.

By Grepthar's Hammer, what a savings!

Also, I'd like to point out that the Saurian Skirmisher is a scout, not a fighter. The Drake Fighter or Clasher would be the one to compare.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Oh well, but as scouts go, the skirmisher is pretty damn mean in a fight, especially if he has swamp/sand/forest/hills/mountains to play with. So you could also call him a mobile fighter.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

ozymandias wrote:Oh well, but as scouts go, the skirmisher is pretty damn mean in a fight, especially if he has swamp/sand/forest/hills/mountains to play with. So you could also call him a mobile fighter.
It's only got 6 moves. I wouldn't call it a scout in the first place.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
ozymandias wrote:Oh well, but as scouts go, the skirmisher is pretty damn mean in a fight, especially if he has swamp/sand/forest/hills/mountains to play with. So you could also call him a mobile fighter.
It's only got 6 moves. I wouldn't call it a scout in the first place.
It may not be your stereotypical scout, but it still serves the purpose well enough. For 15 gold, it's the cheapest way for the drakes to grab villages (and 6 movement is enough for that purpose).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Drake Glider ?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Tux2B wrote:Drake Glider ?
Also a scout ?
toms

Post by toms »

I prefer Saurians. Because they can skirmish through enemy lines to get more villages, they have good defense everywhere(!) and are as strong as the gliders are. And it balances your forces for day and night.
(Against other drakes, saurians are naturally better, against undead better think of gliders)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
player

Post by player »

the only problem with them is that they die easily, they are one of the units that have low hps. but they are good "scouts"
-jew
unsung

Post by unsung »

I have to say, the loyalists have the best scouts. sure, they're expensive, but the calvalryman and horseman are both combat capable scouts, which the elven scout, glider, and bat are the exact opposite of.

Seriously, have you seen what happens to a glider that gets in a fight?
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?