Faction Observations: Who's the strongest? Who's the best?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

if you move units between guardsmen, taking a few turns to do so, you might be able to get through them. Don't attack them, just ignore and keep moving in.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

How do outlaws effectively counter guardsmen?
Caeb

Post by Caeb »

well, they tend to:
-be faster, so they can reach the villages and high ground first...
-be cheaper, so they can control the zones of combat and rotate in/out accordingly...
-be chaotic and have better terrain defense, so they can hold their ground in the day and strike with force at night...

backstabbing thieves at night immediately come to mind when guard removal is required, as they are cheaper and more disposable alternatives to gryphons/ulfs... in any case, taking the villages before the guards will force them to be on the offensive... and it'll usually take "tons of guardsmen" to remove an elusivefoot from a village or any defensive ground, if that's all they've recruited...

the guard's lack of offensive capabilities, low movement, and high cost don't quite make it a spammable unit in any matchup, much less against one of the most tactically versatile factions in the game...
multilis

Post by multilis »

I suggest rather than just outlaws, use the full mix verses guardsman including guardsman. Take his stuff at night, but play his game during the day.

Footpad is your fastest cheap unit, poacher takes least damage in a gang up (and good forest/swamp unit), thief is hardest hitter if you can get backstab, thug is cheap melee on open terrain/villages.

You need to use night to have the edge with outlaw vs guardsman, he does have better armour/resistance and better mobillity on some terrain (forest/hill/mountain/cave).
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The thing about gaurdsmen is that if you mass them you won't have enough people to cover your whole front and griffons can ussualy steal a village at leasure, and if he tries to take it back then that would probably involve moving his gaursmen of his other villages then you can steal them if he does not try to chase you of with the gaurdsmen but other recurits, then you still swing at least 4 gold a turn possibly more, and most knalgans can't beat a griffon one on one.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lord Of Weapons And Magic

Kalifa

Post by Lord Of Weapons And Magic »

The Kalifa are the Faction that Rules For me, Resillent, Faster, Deadly, and they have an a high evasion on mountains! :lol:
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

Velensk wrote:The thing about gaurdsmen is that if you mass them you won't have enough people to cover your whole front
The thing about guardsman is also that they have a 6 -3 neutral melee attack which really isn't suited to attack anything but weak units.
JW

Post by JW »

Drakes are obviously the best faction if used correctly. :wink:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Martinus wrote:
Velensk wrote:The thing about gaurdsmen is that if you mass them you won't have enough people to cover your whole front
The thing about guardsman is also that they have a 6 -3 neutral melee attack which really isn't suited to attack anything but weak units.
It's 5-3.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Khalifa crumble under impact attacks.

I agree that Drakes are the best faction. So much firepower and so much health is just plain strong.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Grand Marshal Aditya wrote:Khalifa crumble under impact attacks.

I agree that Drakes are the best faction. So much firepower and so much health is just plain strong.
And such low defense!
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

All the factions are balanced. There is no "best" faction but all the factions use different strategies.

Rebels use hide and seek tactics (sneak attacks,ambushes)

Knalgans use defencive tactics with the oulaws using hide and seek tactics.

Northerners use swarm tactics.

Drakes use their supreme mobility for an all-out attack style of play.

Loyalists can use their all-rounder tactics to defend and then attack.

Undead use their funky resistances to force the opponent to recruit odd units.
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

FireMaster wrote:Drakes use their supreme mobility for an all-out attack style of play.
I disagree, if you do an all-out attack as drakes you'll soon find yourself dead. Drakes instead use their supreme mobility, high attacks, and lack of good defense for a hit-and-run style gameplay - there's a difference.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Kamamura

What version?

Post by Kamamura »

It would be good to say what version are y'all referring to? The stable or devel branch? As I understand it, the magic is reworked in the devel version (holy changed to arcane and resistances were changed). The balance cannot be the same.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

JW wrote:Drakes are obviously the best faction if used correctly. :wink:
Fire... :twisted:
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past