Faction Observations: Who's the strongest? Who's the best?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I don't like northeners very much... I must also say I don't really try with them. I prefer dwarves or elves or drakes.

What is interesting in this thread, is that it changes when the game is being balanced, and that you often have new factions.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Inuyasha

Post by Inuyasha »

The Raven wrote:my rating of factions:

1. Elves use them lots and unlock their hidden power
What exactly is this hidden power the elves have?
Inuyasha

Neutral Factions Strongest So Far

Post by Inuyasha »

I for one would be interested in seeing a replay for Doc vs the undead if it ever happens :). In the meantime, speaking of the original thread, I've been having a lot of fun with the Dwarves and the Elves again. In my opinion, in a lot of situations neutrality seems to give you a tremendous advantage because you can do full damage at all times of day.

It was the Dwarves last week, but this week the Elves currently get my vote for the most fun to play. Their high number of strikes helps alleviate random number funkiness that happens when trying to finish off a unit to a degree. With fighters that get a great ranged attack and good defense everywhere, they're very balanced and easy to use. Most of the time, your front line is fighters and archers. One melee unit, one archer, and one mage unit. You don't have to juggle several different fighter units like with other factions, and to top it off, elf fighters are cheap and easy to level into captains. They have a lot of unit equivalents with the Drakes, but on the whole are a more effective faction.

Add in a few support units if you have the gold, and mermen if there's water, no muss no fuss. And to top it off, they get great mobility everywhere but in the hills or water. Granted they're terrain dependent and don't get the damage resistance that other factions get, but to balance it out, they get level 1 healers. Elves are lots of fun and easy to use, so long as you don't try to attack your opponent with hordes of scouts. :)

By the way this might be my imagination, but did elf fighters used to have 70% defense in the forest?

Doc Paterson wrote:
Martinus wrote: Doc Paterson is probably playing BFW about 2 times longer than you.

I didn't play BFW for a long time so i can't tell anything more right now...besides that i need to start playing again :)
New players tend to have an inflated sense of their abilities and knowledge. I think this is pretty well established. I've tried to find Use Less on the server, but have still, to date, had no luck. There's no need for other people to jump in and make this into more of a drama. Because really, it's nothing big at all.

So, how about that original topic?

:P

On this Thanksgiving Day, let us be thankful for THE NORTHERNERS.

:D
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: Neutral Factions Strongest So Far

Post by Dragonking »

Inuyasha wrote:By the way this might be my imagination, but did elf fighters used to have 70% defense in the forest?
They used to have but it was loooong time ago (0.8.5 or so..)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
bansjie

Post by bansjie »

Though i'm still looking for the race that fits me best 'cause I've only been playing for a week now, here's my ranking...

1) Northeners (love that poison)
2) Loyalists (to repeat what an other guy said, 2 loyalists can't be stopped)
3) Rebels (just nice ranged and nice dodging)
4) Knalgan (thunderers can be a pain)
5) Drakes (too expensive)
6) Undead (too damn weak imo, but a friend of mine really knows how to play them and ownz monkeyballz with them...)

See y'all online (when i'm better :P )
Grz
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Undeads are hard to use but they are not bothered by poison (whereas they can poison another unit), they are invincible against drakes, they have some quick units as well as mighty ones, they are not very expensive... I don't know why you think they're weak.

Concerning drakes, it's true they'd need some balancing, IMO.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
toms

Post by toms »

The strongest against drakes are humans!
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
player

Post by player »

i guess the faction depends on the terrain where they were in. Example, dwarf in a mountain or an elf in forest.
-jew
arno

Post by arno »

player wrote:i guess the faction depends on the terrain where they were in. Example, dwarf in a mountain or an elf in forest.
That's also my ranking
Danielg42

Post by Danielg42 »

Tux2B wrote: they are invincible against drakes,
I have found that Drakes are quite powerful when properly used.
A friend and I had the same thoughts, but after a rather long, drawn out game, we both quit because neither could gain the upper hand. :D
I would push him back during day and he would do the same at night.
However, I will say that if you forget to use your saurians, you're sunk when playing drakes against undead. :shock:
And if you're playing the Undead against drakes, go for a necromancer/ zombie approach. Using the zombies as a shield for the necromancers.
JW

Post by JW »

Danielg42 wrote:
Tux2B wrote: they are invincible against drakes,
And if you're playing the Undead against drakes, go for a necromancer/ zombie approach. Using the zombies as a shield for the necromancers.
Skeleton Archers should be your bread, and DAs your butter. Zombies are near useless against drakes.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

They are pretty good at night as cheap pin cushions for Skirmishers, since those units already ignore zocs as it is.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I find Ghost to be very good to ZoC, and with drain, they can recover the damage too. But for the love of your life, don't let the Drakes have more income, the fact that you can provide a more nurtured front than his is vital.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Drake units are quite expensive, so indeed, taking all their villages is important, as they will never have as much as the cheap undeads.
jaboua

Post by jaboua »

I like the undead, mostly skeletons and ghosts for me. I like the drain of ghosts, skeletons and skeleton archers are great when they level up.