I have hit a wal in tRoW (sure you have heard this before)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

I have hit a wal in tRoW (sure you have heard this before)

Post by Becephalus »

I am new to Wesnoth (4 or 5 days) and first off I would like to say that this is a tremendous game. I purchase maybe 20 games a year and this free one is the best new game I have played in 2005. Fantastic work.

Ok here is my problem. I played tRoW for my first campaign as it seemed chronologically the first. I am playing on medium and did have to replay several scenarios as I only save where you are prompted and don't use the autosave. I am at those 4 elvish scenarios and I think I have hit a wall. It seemed to me like this had been a pretty successful campaign so far, lots of early victories, but I might have done somethign wrong. (Sounds a lot like a real military campaign). I have seen people mentioning having 10 Paladins and 5 MoL which seems crazy to me. Here is my army and casualties thusfar.

maybe 800-600 gold

1 Halberdier, 1 Royal Guard, 1 Javelineer, 1 Spearman (Lost 6 Spearman and 1 Swordsman)
2 Master Bowman
1 Paladin, 1 Knight, 1 Horseman, (Lost 1 Paladin, 4 Horseman and Sir Ruddy)
1 Great Mage, 1 MoL, 1 Silver Mage, 1 Mage (Lost 1 White Mage and 3 Mages)
Have lost 6 Footpads and 1 Outlaw (and Lady Outlaw but she came back)
2 Pillagers (Lost 1 Poacher)
1 Thug (Lost 3 Thugs and 1 Bandit)
Lost 2 Rogues and 1 Assasin
2 Merman Warriors (lost 2 Merman Warriors)

So that leaves me with the Dwarf/Haldric/OutlawQueen/Priest and 1 level 4 unit, 7 level 3 units, 6 level 2 units and 4 level 1 units (23 units total 33 lost total).

Should I push on? Or should I try again on easy, but with no reloading whatsoever.
Last edited by Becephalus on October 27th, 2005, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Hmm, i would give it a try.

I would start with the scenario of freeing the undead elven souls on the isle. It is the one that has the highest chance to be ended fast and you can still make some gold there. Be careful not to overrecruit, take only the units suitable for fighting undead.

Then go on with the saurians on the coast. Try to end that early, too. It's a liittle bit more difficult than the previous since you need the right strategy.

Troll Hole and the dragon scenario are very hard. I managed to play that on easy but it needs a carefully worked out strategy. I am not sure, if your recall list is sufficient for the troll whole. You need a whole bunch of strong units there. The dragon scenario depends much on wiping out one or two saurian leaders quickly. It's not too hard because they are very aggressive and leave their keep. But if you let them recruit too many turns, you won't stand a chance. Of course that needs sacrificing some units...

If you still have difficulties with those two scenarios, search the forum. There is a lot of useful hints and winning strategies.

To sum it up: Your gold should be sufficient, your recall list may need some improvement.

BTW, what level are you playing on?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Oh, i forgot something. If you find these levels still to be too difficult, go back to the beginning or at least the third scenario. There is a lonely village in the northern mountains. Send a unit there, it's worth it....
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Are you talking about the dwarf? Cause I got him. He is by far my best unit. I think he has maybe 100 hp :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Yes, i couldn't find him in your recall list :) .

Edit: Oh i just saw him mentioned in the text below. Should have read a little bit more careful :wink: .
elscouta

Post by elscouta »

It is also very important to keep the heavy infantry from level 2. They are amazingly valuable.
unsung

Post by unsung »

yes, definitley keep ALL of those shock troopers. They can tear righ tthrough the orcs.

Umm I think you shoul dkeep going, just beware the underground scenario vs jevan, as it drains gold, andyou have to get konrad acraoss the map after he's dead which consumes a lot of time.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?