How to beat "The Dwarven Doors"?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mr_moose

How to beat "The Dwarven Doors"?

Post by mr_moose »

Hi all -

I've come up against "the mother of all levels" ... :-)
I just **can not** beat this level. I usually have around 320-350 gold at the start of it, and that seems nowhere near enough.

There are just **waaaaaaayy** too many tough units in this level.
Even with elvish avengers and gryphon-riders, I get hammered every time.

So, any tips on how to get through this are very welcome!
( e.g. what units I should be attacking with, are there any hidden "helpful bits' like the berserkers appearing in "Mountain Pass" ... that kind of thing).
Very many thanks in advance!

mr_moose
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

well i'm not a wesnoth 'pro' but i usually have all my forces (only one or two turns recruiting) attack directly the keep on the right, and have konrad dash for the exit (the real one, on the extreme north east )<-spoiler, copypaste to read it, but only after you tried once more :P
get some level 1 elven archers to make a distraction for the two other armies (keep them in forests or villages)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Also, READ THE SPOILER. If you don't know it, you will be royally screwed later on in the scenario.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

You don't need a lot of troops, but whatever you get should be at least speed 6 so it can keep up with your leaders. This is pretty much a run for it scenario.
I do have some suggestions for it to make it more fair as far as replayability goes.
mr_moose

RE : The Dwarven Doors

Post by mr_moose »

Hi again -

Thanks very much, Bruno, Elvish Pillager, Quentin!
I'll try what you suggest and see how I go.

One of the tips was " this is pretty much a "run-for-it" scenario". I totally agree! There just seems to be waaaaay too much opposition to even think of taking it on. It seems to be a case of "go flat out and cover your back", as it were ...

Many thanks again! Bye for now -
- mr_moose
unsung

Post by unsung »

ac tually, you may want to send somehorsemen and othe cheap units to try and take the enemy on, its a good way to gain xp, if you hit them on the snow. and while you do that, just do what youve already done: take your leader and some guards and RUN, RUN, RUN!
and level him up while you rat it, unless he's level three.

any level three horseman line units you may have should be used to soften up eniemies for other units to gain xp of of. withdraw them after so they arent trapped and killed.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

There is always recruiting 6 horsemen and then running for it! And sending Kalenz and Delfador into the mountains.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
mr_moose

Re: The Dwarven Doors

Post by mr_moose »

Hi unsung and glowing fish -

Thanks very much for your advice - much needed! I'll try your suggestions and see how I go.
Bye for now -

mr_moose
Gutuater

Post by Gutuater »

at the beginning of the scenario, one of my surviving units (an outlaw) says that he knows someone in the area who probably hides in one of the villages.
Yet i failed to find which one. I suspect that you have to visit all the villages and it will be in the last one, but i failed to do this
Is it worth it to spend some time to try to check this or what?
scott

Post by scott »

I think he's in a village surrounded by ice. With the way the scenario is now, I usually can't make him survive without sacrificing a bunch of other units. However, he is useful for slowing the blue enemy down.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

it is possible not to run for it (and destroy the main orc army instead), thought you porbably won't have enough time to kill all three enemy leaders.
Attachments
(D)war_fish_doors.zip
Here I fought my way throught the orc army (without losses), thought I only had time to finish off one of the orc leaders...
(23.19 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Gutuater

Post by Gutuater »

scott wrote:I think he's in a village surrounded by ice. With the way the scenario is now, I usually can't make him survive without sacrificing a bunch of other units. However, he is useful for slowing the blue enemy down.
weird, i went to all the villages (with gryffons) in the same game, but couldn't find him.
scott

Post by scott »

He's still there. You have to hear an outlaw talk about him first.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Gutuater

Post by Gutuater »

but i had an outlaw talk about him, at the 1st round

oh i went through anyway, almost without fighting. Saves time and money ;)
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Mmm kinda you lost his Bandit uncle... he died 2 years ago when I forgot to finish the WML code to add him in the 3rd village north fronm your starting position...
Then real life called and others continued the campaign

And nobody fixed that...

Maybe next version...