Konrad's importance

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wandering_rogue

Konrad's importance

Post by wandering_rogue »

I just started playing about 2 weeks ago, and I've worked my way up to Elsenfar on Normal in HttT (Heir to the Throne). I have a few 2nd levels: 2 knights, a merman, a druid, a sorceress, 3-4 elvish types. Plus a few mages and others that are close to 2nd level. So far I haven't leveled up Konrad. I haven't seen much advantage in bringing him into the fighting too much. I've only done it when the scenario is under control and almost finished. Before that, it seems like too much of a risk. I can't help feeling as if I was playing chess and using the king to take a pawn (although I'm also a novice at chess, so maybe its a bad comparison!)

Is this a bad strategy? Will it hurt me later to have a lvl 1 Konrad? How can I bring him into the fighting more? I have had him kill (almost) dead oppponents, but even this seems hard because usually my other units finish the opponents off easily.
"Metaphor is richer than reality." -SG
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It helps to have a variety of units in your army. Shooting at enemies with Elvish Fighters' bows can be a good way to soften up the enemy for Konrad without killing it. Konrad is an unusually powerful unit at higher levels.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Also, when Konrad level up, he has more hit point, which is helpful when attacked.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Also, Konrad has no upkeep or recruiting cost. Having an extra kick-butt fighter that you don't have to pay for can really help in scenarios when gold is tight.

Actually, your analogy to chess is a fairly good one. In chess, you need to keep the king protected, but in the endgame when most of the major players are wiped off the board he enters the fray personally. It's the same with Konrad (at lvl 1 anyway - when he's higher level you can afford to take more risks with him).

I see you've got a druid and a sorceress. If you've managed to get two elvish shamans levelled up, getting Konrad levelled up shouldn't be too hard...
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Another point is the AI is inclined to attack weaker units. So, you probably don't want a weak leader in a strong team.
Ryo
Inactive Developer

Post by Ryo »

Konrad gains command ability too iirc so he'll help units around.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

What's more, in a lot of scenarios you have to move Konrad with the other units. So if you have a weak Konrad, it'll be very hard to win Httt.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
wandering_rogue

Post by wandering_rogue »

Ok, that helps as to why to level him up. Thanks.
"Metaphor is richer than reality." -SG