Xenophobia

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

Xenophobia

Post by Casual User »

Hi, I'm wondering if you think it's possible to win xenophobia (from EI) with the following specifications :

1. on easy (I like easy more than medium)
2. my army is :
1 general with holy water, nowhere near levelling (Gweddry)
1 white mage, nowhere near levelling (Dacyn)
1 mounted fighter, nowhere near levelling (Owaec)
1 iron mauler
1 red mage, halfway levelled
1 heavy infantryman, nearly levelled
+ lvl 1 units I won't recall
3. only 100 gold, the minimum...

I've given it a try and killed the dwarf easily enough, but the orc killed me (well, killed Dacyn). I had neither the units nor the gold to hire units to protect him well. I could try killing the elf first and letting the orc and dwarf tire themselves out.

Anyway, what do you think, possible?
awjn

Post by awjn »

yes its very simple. let orc and dwarf bash each other faces in while u rush the elves. Then have 2 small assassin squads kill the remainders of the orcs and dwarfs. Might take some time and good microing but shouldnt be that difficult. Just did that level myself a few hours ago =)
Putninsh

Post by Putninsh »

i tried that thing with taking out elf and letting orc and dwarf fight but i ran out of turns, they don`t kill eachother soon enough, or, if they do, the dwarf kills the orc and you don`t have enough time to break through the dwarf`s defenses anyway... I think there might be a chance, if you tried to take out the elf, while letting dwarf and orc attack eachother, and make horsemen, make like 5 and strike the dwarf king when all of his warriors will be fighting the orcs... I almost won this way...
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Normally the dwarf leaves himself unprotected. They do kill the orcish army, but when they are about to have a sure win, you go in and strike the dwarf leader down with a squad, they won't move fast enough to save him.

Then you go from your newly taken elf castle (or from outside the forest/center of the map if you already recruited) to deliver the final blow to the orcish army.

I guess you took too much time killing the elves or had bad luck/squad to strike down the dwarf leader.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

I was a bit prejudiced against attacking the elf because I did that the first time, and he killed Owaec... But he does have less units (those berserkers can be nasty for level 1 units), and more villages...

I rarely trust the 'let them kill one another approach'. More often than not, you let them kill one another and end up with one defeated opponent and one super-opponent.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

Wait the elves outside the woods.

Maybe buy some peons to lure them to north and toke dwarf vilages.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

IIRC, the only time I won this scenario, I used two Arch Magi, a Red Mage, a Mage, and Dacyn and Gweddry, both level 3. It takes a certain amount of finesse to handle tiny forces against the AI, though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The strategy used for balancing was:

Recall a force of about 8 level 2 units. Send them, and Gweddry, Dacyn and Owaec (hopefully all level 3), north to attack the Dwarves. Hang back from engaging the dwarves in combat, and wait for them to either send their troops west to fight the orcs, or send them to fight you (usually they split it up). Since dwarves move slower than you, the ones that come to attack you, you will get the first stroke against, and with so few but powerful units that will usually end the battle right there, with almost all of the dwarvish units dead. The ones that went to attack the orcs will not be able to retreat in time to damage you, and they tend to just keep fighting the orcs anyway. Since it is on mountain and hills, both have good defense, and the battle lasts for a while - but good defense is useless against mages. Bring in some mages, fry the remaining orcs and dwarves, and kill their leader. (This part takes a bit of finesse, and you'll tend to lose a few units). While all of this has been going on, the orcs and elves have been fighting. In my balancing, the elves usually win, but are basically broke, and whatever units they have left are wounded and easy to kill.

I haven't tested using this strategy for a while, but it was very effective around 0.9.1.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sly

Post by Sly »

I just played it yesterday, and the elf leader acted strange : he only recruited 3 lvl2 scouts and nothing more :?

as I went north (with a force of lvl1 spearmen and mages), I finished him last, and he didn't move or reacted, even when I approched him (I tried to put a weak unit with 10 hp left next to him and he didn't even attack it :o

I think the config for this leader in the scenario is a bit bugged :P
unsung

Post by unsung »

THat happenws for me as well

I can't beat this one- All I have a l2 mounted fighter, a Lieutenant, and three Iorn maulers who have about a 1000 xp between them. they hav eth epower, but I run out of turns.

I need to redo the campaign.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Sly

Post by Sly »

unsung wrote:THat happenws for me as well

I can't beat this one- All I have a l2 mounted fighter, a Lieutenant, and three Iorn maulers who have about a 1000 xp between them. they hav eth epower, but I run out of turns.

I need to redo the campaign.
I played in normal difficulty and beat the scenario with only Gweddry lvl3, Dacyn lvl3 and Owaec lvl2 and 4 spearmens lvl1 and 2 mages lvl1 that I recruited there

so it's feaseable
The Angel of Islington

Post by The Angel of Islington »

I recruited one swordsman, one javlineer, and one halbardier plus a spearman which I sent towards the Elves with Gweddry, skirting south of the snowpatch and picking up villages as convenient.

I sent Owaic, Dacyn, a dragoon, an iron mauler and a couple of infant trolls up towards the Orcs to pick up villages, but kept them at a safe distance.

The Elves attacked the Orcs, and thus committed, I was able to finish off the Elven commander in the forest having sent Gweddry back to his keep. Getting them in and out was a real hassle - they move slowly.

I used the gold from the villages to recruit more troops and then charged up the park and finished off the Orcs. This was not difficult as I had quite a lot of level 2 troops.

The dwarves were more tricky. I avoided fighting them in the mountains, instead I skirted round and killed the commander.

I managed to win the scenario on easy without losing any troops, but I only did so with four turns remaining.
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

I played this scenario on medium and the elves also never recruited more than a couple of scouts.
This made killing the elvish leader quite easy. After that I went straight north to kill the orcs and then the dwarves last. The dwarves are hardest, so maybe attacking them while they're still fighting the orcs is better.

Heavy infantry is probably a bit too slow for this map. I used 3 or 4 horse units.