Ye Compleat Walkthrough To "Heir To The Throne"

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

last time i played elves besieged i managed to get a druid a marksman a captain and a hero plus konrad (1 short of the 5 level ups plus konrad) i used gandeldorfs strategybut instead of waiting for the orcs to come close enough i just skirted round the left of the hills towards their leader, fought past a couple of crossbowmen and used gandalf to weaken him before killing him with an archer, then used the keep to recruit a couple more fighters and threw the at the army ready to avenge their leader and killed any of the more weakened orcsfrom there i killed the yellow leader and his few remaining cronies and finished
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
Rybon

Post by Rybon »

You are right Cheating is bad. And I finally figure out how to get past it last night. I attacked the Southern Castle and out lasted the Zombies. It Cost me all the gold I had and every Elven Fighter I recuit but I did level up another Shaman to a Druid.
routta

Post by routta »

thanks. this is pretty good reading. . .and should help focus some of my leveling of troops. i've had some fun experimenting to date, and will incorporate some tactics here.

sweet game, dev's . . . thanks.
JW

Post by JW »

I was wondering if the second edition of this would ever come out. I really enjoyed the artwork that accompanied the guide. Reading over others' strategies helps me see what I do and do not like from a more objective standpoint.

Please continue with the project!
Lanarkian

This is great

Post by Lanarkian »

I LOVE THIS WALKTHROUGH - IT'S SOOOO CLEAR AND EASY TO FOLLOW!

Bring out the second chapter, PLEASE!!!!
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

Yup, awesome walkthrough. I await the next installment.
Ravenheart

Post by Ravenheart »

Great tips, accurate descriptions.... keep up the screenshots please!!!!! SO helpful! Especially where you mark areas of the map etc.

Very nice stuff here, i hope to see more in the future! :wink:
silentoutpost.net • my moosic
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

really nice! I just disapprove of walkthoughs on two reasons. 1)it feels like cheating, and 2) I never seem to follow them and they just complicate my life when I do. (I had OgreBattle ruined for my because of walkthoughs).

For Example: Presently I think I take less time to do these things-- I usually have 153 gold by second scenario, and several upgraded troops, and finish most small campaigns in 5 turns or so, longer ones in around 11. I'm going through my money-whore phase right now, so of course I trying to do this, but the point is that walkthoughs only give one way to do things, and don't really tell you what not to do, which I find infinately more useful.

Don't worry, I still see its value, and its really well put together (I like the use of images too!)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
jonadab

Scepter of Fire scenario

Post by jonadab »

stormlord wrote:
I was getting frustrated with the Scepter of Fire level.
You neadn`t to build up cash in this level, because for next one 100 gold will be enough.
Agreed. IMO, the Sceptre of Fire is a scenario where you can afford to recruit as many units as you can and let your gold go as far into the red as it will.
Imho you should replay last level, Lost general if i remember correctly and upgrade there 1-2 dwarfes and 2 healers would be very nice for SoF.
You should definitely have some Dwarvish Steelclads (at least) by this point, or Dwarvish Lords if possible. As for the healers, you should have two Shydes by the time you get to the Dwarven Doors, so provided you don't lose them, they should be good enough to get you through. Shydes, of the healers available to you in HttT, have the best movement in caves.
There isn`t much use from other units in SoF beacause of their crapy movement in caves.
If you have any quick mages, you can use them. They will lag behind a little, but when the fighting gets thick they can catch up. Don't recall mages that aren't quick, though. (I find that traits are especially important for mages, moreso than most other unit types...) Also you can use thieves, especially if you can get them levelled up to rogue.

What I'm not sure of in this scenario is whether it's better to split your forces and go both ways, or not. The former provides in some ways better chances for getting more XP for your units, but it also means a smaller force going for the scepter.

Then there's the question of who should pick up the thing. On the one hand, Konrad already has a passable (assuming you've got him to level 3 by now) range attack, and the princess is completely lacking in that area. On the other hand, Konrad's going to pick up the flaming sword in a bit, and if he has both it makes him strategically formidable, particularly for the big clan scenario, so that you can use him to hold up the end of a line (which is useful, because it's hard to find units that can safely do that in that scenario; even most level-three units can get themselves killed that way: a lancer hits them followed by a couple of knights, and it's all over, even with reasonably favorable random numbers).
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

Rybon wrote:Anyway I was doing really well or at least I thought I was until, I got to the Princess's Revenage. I have a Lancer, Paladin, Knight, Couple level 3 Rangers a Socceress, white mage, red mage and 365 in cash. I just get swamped everytime. Am I missing something.
Yes. Move. The only enemy with very deep pockets for seemingly endless recruiting is the one closest to you that recruits nothing but walking corpses. With good units you can kill them all, but it takes time, and to gain that time you will have to give up some ground. I usually move south (wiping out the southern undead early so I don't get sandwiched), but I suspect moving north could also work. Don't run all the way to the edge of the map at once; just give a little ground each turn, to limit how many walking corpses can reach you at once. And it is imperative that you make effective use of healers; you should have at least three of them by now (two druids or shydes, plus either a white mage or a paladin), as well as units with a lot of hitpoints (to hold up key points in your line). Also, have you noticed that you can leave one-tile gaps in your line without compromising the line?
Rybon wrote:One other question I thought About cheating and Creating extra gold and just Hiring alot of Recuit but I don't seem to able to make the Gold command work.
The save format is complex, and in some cases stores the same information in multiple places. However, if you've gotten as far as this without cheating, you shouldn't need to cheat here either. I actually thought this was an easier scenario than some of the preceding ones, once I figured out that I couldn't expect to hold my starting position. It's also a fantastic source of experience points -- all those walking corpses add up!
JW

Post by JW »

I went North to beat the Princesses Revenge. The southern group only caught a few units up to me by the end of the map. It worked really well.
Lanarkian

How long?

Post by Lanarkian »

Hey Gandledorf and people!

Please, can you at least tell me how long you're going to take?
I kinda want Chapter 2 and you're leaving me hanging!!!

Please make haste to publish Chapter 2 and/or tell us all how long this is going to take.

Thanks!
Gavinfoxx

Post by Gavinfoxx »

Could someone post some replays using these strategies, with the latest version of Wesnoth? That would be great... thanks...
Maz

Post by Maz »

This is how I played the scenarios after I read this walkthrough. I think I managed quite well considering I'm not a very good player. What do you guys think?
Attachments
replays.zip
(56.29 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Gnosis

Isle of the Dead

Post by Gnosis »

Isle of the Dead can be won. It is possible to defeat the two Undead lords using the following strategy. Quickly release the White Mage in the centre of the map. For the most part keep him there along with some thugs and poachers which you may have to sacrifice now and again. Konrad should recruit a large army of Thugs and Poachers. The bandit who met Konrad at the beginning can take this army against the Undead lord in the Northeast. This opponent mainly recruits zombies which are fairly easy for the poachers and thugs to take care of. In the meantime, send the two mermen north along the coast—one NE the other NW. They gobble up a few villages on the way. They provide excellent diversions as the undead lords are distracted by their activities. Possibly both Mermen could be sent NW creating problems for that opponent. Meanwhile, your White mage mops up undead who venture into the centre of the map. When the Eastern Lord is defeated, Konrad can invade the West with his army making use of the White mage as a very effective healer and battle mage. Be sure, though, that you don’t let him be killed! You dhould now be able to defeat the remaining undead lord before time runs out.
The importance of actually winning the scenario (rather than simply surviving) is that you keep the white mage as part of your army. Otherwise he bids you goodbye and sends a few mages to help you later on in the Valley of Death (Scenario 9). It’s much better to have a mage of this type with you in the following scenarios.