Ye Compleat Walkthrough To "Heir To The Throne"

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gandledorf

Post by Gandledorf »

Glowing Fish wrote:You don't seem to like Elvish Scouts much.
Not that that is a terrible thing, many people don't like them, but you don't even mention them.
There may be a use for Elvish Scouts, but in Heir I found them to be pointless. I never recruited a single one... didn't even bother to recall the Loyal Rider I got in the "run between the enemies" scenario. You have Gryphons (which are much better as scouts because they can fly) and Horsemen (which actually level into something useful). The Lancer, for example, is easily a better unit than the Outrider. It's pretty much equal to the Outrider except: it's lawful, slowed by forest, drains you one less gold per turn, "costs" 40% as much xp and does twice as much damage. A bargain of a deal.

It seems like the only way you'd want to purchase Elvish Scouts is if you had no other scouting choice - playing Rebels in a multiplayer scenario for example. Maybe if they (or the Rider, Outrider) had Skirmish or Ambush they'd be more attractive?

Anyway, Chapter Two is in the works and will be posted soon...
appleide

Post by appleide »

For black water port, is it necessary to keep the loyal horseman alive? He was used to soak up the damage from 4 grunts and 2 archers, while i was trying to 'muscle' my way into that haven town, and left in the open.
I couldn't kill the last three grunts on the last turn, they were protected by the leader :shock: .
Also, the feigning of going into 'west hills' didnt really work...

For the isle of Anduin, if all 6 units from the first scenario had already leveled to 2, and one of them is level 3, should I recruit fresh units so that they too can level up? I have a druid, sorceress, a captain, a marksmen, a ranger, a marshal. konrad's almost got to level to 2.(he seems jinxed this time when I played the scenario, everytime I get him to attack a 1hp orc he completely misses and get killed.)
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

Heh , he must have an other game than I

Scenario 1 , middle:
-Using the western route the purple Elves come to west with much more units
- I spend 2-3 turns to get close to the enemy and my allies colour all the wood.
- Delfador and Conrad dont get a chance of a singe hit because they are much to slow to reach before the brown will outnumber all except the tree trolls.
- The trolls kill my warriors and shooters in close combat even by day and standing in forrest so 2-3 get killed.
- I dont have a single level up and have to hurry to come to finish before the blue orc wulfriders surrond conrad.

This must be an other game!
What will happen than at hard ?

PS: Of cource this had been the worsed case.
After some reload its has been possible to verify all this and may be someone can get a better result
I had all units one level up after the Isle Except the Horseman
(Konrad, White Mage, Druide, Captain, Hero, 2x Elf-Assasin) with only the lost of a single Warrior
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Excellent walkthrough! I found this to be invaluable to me.

I started this campaign a couple of days ago and found myself barely able to defeat Pearl Bay. Just tonight I defeated Pearl Bay with 400ish gold, two level 3's (Konrad and an Elven Shyde), and seven level 2's (including a White Mage). What an amazing difference! :D

Many thanks!
Danath

Post by Danath »

Question about the search of the staff of fire (or whatever is the name): there is any posibility to end that scenario without having at least an army of lvl2 dwarfs? ¬¬
Discordanian

Post by Discordanian »

I was getting frustrated with the Scepter of Fire level. I went looking for hints and tips and ran across this. Ok, I've been playing this all wrong. I've been just trying to complete levels as quickly as possible to build up cash, but I've got nothing but level 1s. Ok, I have a handful of level 2s, but most everyone is still level 1. After reading this, I'm going to start over.

But I'm still having trouble getting folks to level without getting them killed. The enemy really hones in on people that just leveled.

At any rate, great walkthru. When might we see some more? This is MUCH better than the one in wiki. Maps and strategies really help.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Gandledorf come back!!
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
stormlord

Post by stormlord »

I was getting frustrated with the Scepter of Fire level. I went looking for hints and tips and ran across this. Ok, I've been playing this all wrong. I've been just trying to complete levels as quickly as possible to build up cash, but I've got nothing but level 1s. Ok, I have a handful of level 2s, but most everyone is still level 1. After reading this, I'm going to start over.
You neadn`t to build up cash in this level, because for next one 100 gold will be enough. Imho you should replay last level, Lost general if i remember correctly and upgrade there 1-2 dwarfes and 2 healers would be very nice for SoF. There isn`t much use from other units in SoF beacause of their crapy movement in caves.
pravin

Post by pravin »

Amazing walkthrough. Complete with pictures! Do finish the rest soon :)

--
pravin
mustard

Post by mustard »

Impressive guide.
But I am definetly stuck on leveling 3-4 units on the the first.
What usually happens:
1 turn:
I recruit 3 fighters, 2 archers and a shaman
I move konrad and Delfieboy west, ready to cross the river on the following turn.
2 turn:
I move my army across the river, going as far west as i can. (so I am moving northwest)
The pink elven army also moves northwest,so their sort of standing north of me.
3 turn
I move again northwest, to try to discourage the the pink elves of moving in this direction. Also captures the village just south of the valley if I have a quick archer who can get there.
Then some of the pink elves turns around to face the eastern orcs, but usually 2-3 of them (usually at least one ranger) starts battling the northern orcs.
This is the problem. Because then the northern orcs will focus on them, and none will find their way south to my little army. (the orange elves will already be engaging them west of the valley).
Also, the pink elves will lose massively to the eastern orcs, because they just have to few units against the mighty trolls, and one of their rangers is busy battling my prey..
So I move north to engage the enemy, but then the eastern orcs come flooding my right flank, and the northern orcs (finished with the kamikaze pink elves) are ready for me, so I am outnumbered.
At most, I managed to level one warrior, and get som experience on the others, but usually lost some men also.

The problem to me, seems to be the pink elves, who spread their forces to much, instead of concentrating on the eastern orcs..

Anybody having similar experiences?
Or is leveling 3-4 units a smooth thing? I would really like to know..:)
Ah, damn you trolls!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

It depends a little bit on the level you are playing on. For normal and hard i would say your biggest problem is getting enough money for later scenarios.

Therefore i regard this scenario more like one for collecting gold then leveling up units. I think scenarios like "Bay of Pearls" and "Muff Malaals Peninsula" provide better opportunities to level up units.

So i would try this:
Get Konrad straight to the signpost. Only stop if there is an easy opportunity nearby to get him some xp. I once managed to let him do a save kill on a troll at day, which was clearly worth losing one turn. You should get there in 10 or 11 turns.
Recruit a castle of elves (maybe even only 3 or 4). Let them join the battle against the north orcs. Try to let your allies take the damage and get some finishing shots. You can use Delfador to help there and weaken an enemy. Just make sure not to put him unnecessarily in danger.

That way you probably end up leveling one unit if you are lucky (it's no problem to get two finishes, the problem is surviving the counter attack, since you have to expose yourself). Again, for me the focus was gold, not xp. And i doubt if numbers of 3 or more leveled units refer to anything but easy level.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
mustard

Post by mustard »

Thanks for replying. I am playing normal.

I have been through this level, (actually I've gotten to Mountain Pass), and "Bay of Pearls" and "Muff Malaals Peninsula" ,are excellent leveling-up levels. But I was very fascinated by Gandledorf saying that it should be a goal to level up 5 units plus Konrad on "Elves Besieged", so I thought I should try. (As this would of course be a great benefit) Earlier I used to use the strategy you mention (run, kill if offerd on silver plate, maybe get lucky to have one level-up)
So I am just trying out his strategy, but it seems I am stuck/doing it wrong. So I was looking for experience on Gandledorfs strategy. ( He is sort of publishing astonishing results, I am sort of trying to replicate them with his recipe. kinda like science:) )
(I also read the scenario-reviews, where it is suggested to go west, recruit maxiimum,kill the northern orc-leader, and kill blue orcs until turns run out for experience. This seems promising)
Ah, damn you trolls!
Rybon

Post by Rybon »

Hi, I am new to this game. Someone over at Wargamer.com recommend it. Anyway I was doing really well or at least I thought I was until, I got to the Princess's Revenage. I have a Lancer, Paladin, Knight, Couple level 3 Rangers a Socceress, white mage, red mage and 365 in cash. I just get swamped everytime. Am I missing something. I really don't want to go back and start again, What do people suggest. I am play on normal.

One other question I thought About cheating and Creating extra gold and just Hiring alot of Recuit but I don't seem to able to make the Gold command work.

I would really like to get by this one without cheating what should I do?
JW

Post by JW »

Rybon wrote:One other question I thought About cheating and Creating extra gold and just Hiring alot of Recuit but I don't seem to able to make the Gold command work.

I would really like to get by this one without cheating what should I do?
Don't cheat. That just lacks integrity.

If you must be cheap in order to win you can always save/reload.

I'm personally working on HttT on hard without reload. I'll post replays if it ever happens. (Won't be anytime soon I suspect.)
mustard

Post by mustard »

hoho, managed to level 4 units (not konrad) on elven besieged. The key was keep pushing northwest, and basically ignore the eastern flank. also, getting the kill on northernn orc helped a lot :)
Ah, damn you trolls!