Game Cheats...?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Dragon Master wrote:Here's something you shouldn't do please, DO NOT respond to threads that haven't been active in months, there's no need as the discussion is quite clearly over. thank you
Seriously, I think this should be moved to OT. mod?
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

You say "mod", you think "Maeglin", you say "Maeglin" you mean "mod".

8)
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
JW

Post by JW »

Peitenimi wrote:To me, fun is in the cheating, not in what you get with it.
Yes, this phenomenon is what you get with a rush of undeserved power - which is almost exclusively then misused.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, with a thread like this its probably best to keep the madness localized... would you rather have this thread resurrected 100 times, or 100 equally stupid threads made? I vote against OTing this sucker.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Samuco

Post by Samuco »

Dave wrote:There are no cheat codes.

However cheating is not difficult, if that's what you want to do....

Just open up a save file, and everything you want to change should be fairly obvious.

Alternatively, just run the game with the switch --debug, and then you will get a "Create Unit" option in the context menu, which allows you to create any unit anywhere on the map.

Personally I don't see how playing with cheating can be very much fun though.

David
Well, ive found a problem....
I was busy editing a scenario when i got the idea about units
So i changed the unit file
I went into multiplayer and nothing happened.
But shortly after i had discovered i had edited the wrong thing
so i found the right one and edited it
Then i tried it in multiplayer
People got really mad at me :(
So you can cheat on multi player

PS later on i changed it back
So u can fix it.

I think you should make it harder than that
because some people might just do that....
Knight the

Script Master
Gus

Post by Gus »

i believe the answer is: who cares?
even if you cheat a couple of times in MP, people will simply stop playing you and/or drop from your games.
and you'll soon find that it is boring to win because you have an advantage anyway.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

And it did not cause OOS errors? I really can't believe that.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Samuco wrote:Then i tried it in multiplayer
People got really mad at me :(
So you can cheat on multi player

PS later on i changed it back
So u can fix it.

I think you should make it harder than that
because some people might just do that....
Cheating by modifying your local unit files results in out of sync errors while playing, and leads to the other players having a different game state - you might think you win when you defeat their leader, but the other players might just see no unit of yours within miles of their leader, so trying to "cheat" like that would be very, very pointless. Everyone would also know (from the OOS errors) that you probably are trying to cheat, so there is no problem. Of course there would be other means of cheating, but that one doesn't work.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Dragon Master wrote:Here's something you shouldn't do please, DO NOT respond to threads that haven't been active in months, there's no need as the discussion is quite clearly over. thank you
I hope I don't have to quote this again :roll:
appleide

Post by appleide »

zookeeper wrote:you might think you win when you defeat their leader, but the other players might just see no unit of yours within miles of their leader, so trying to "cheat" like that would be very, very pointless. .
IIRC You could lower the cost of the units, and this effect will be avoided, but you still get OOS errors.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

appleide wrote:
zookeeper wrote:you might think you win when you defeat their leader, but the other players might just see no unit of yours within miles of their leader, so trying to "cheat" like that would be very, very pointless. .
IIRC You could lower the cost of the units, and this effect will be avoided, but you still get OOS errors.
Except if you lower the cost so that you actually end up recruiting more units than would be possible with the normal .cfg's?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

turin wrote:Actually, with a thread like this its probably best to keep the madness localized... would you rather have this thread resurrected 100 times, or 100 equally stupid threads made? I vote against OTing this sucker.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I agree with Turin. In fact, I reckon this should be made a sticky (I'm not kidding...seriously).
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Maybe we should put a campaign on the server for people who want to cheat and win easily. The moment you start playing, goes straight to the following message:

"Well done, you've won! Jolly good show! We do hope you've enjoyed playing Wesnoth. Goodbye!" [Closing credits.]
peet

Post by peet »

Dave wrote:Alternatively, just run the game with the switch --debug, and then you will get a "Create Unit" option in the context menu, which allows you to create any unit anywhere on the map.
Can you create enemy units this way? :twisted:

Peet