Game Cheats...?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

/dev/null

Game Cheats...?

Post by /dev/null »

Has anyone found any cheat codes for this game, yes I play this game but it's the first time I've posted to the forum...but codes would make this game a little easier to play?!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

There are no cheat codes.

However cheating is not difficult, if that's what you want to do....

Just open up a save file, and everything you want to change should be fairly obvious.

Alternatively, just run the game with the switch --debug, and then you will get a "Create Unit" option in the context menu, which allows you to create any unit anywhere on the map.

Personally I don't see how playing with cheating can be very much fun though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

There're no cheat codes
All scenario and saves data are stored simple test file.
You can edit your savegames giving you more gold easily...
But it's better to ask for help and tips about how to beat a level.
miyo

Post by miyo »

It is a lot more fun to hack your random number generator so that it gives good numbers to you and bad numbers to enemy. It requires a bit more than just hacking your savegames - if you are going to have fun with cheating... why not do it the challenging way?

Another way is to edit your unit files (which are plaintext) and give yourself superior units. Or you can get sourcecode, change it so that enemies heal you instead of causing damage and then compile.

- Miyo
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

I have a small idea:
Can it make human-unreadable the amount of gold?
Just a quick hack on it. dumped in hexa, or a little more complex?

The first thing what the people look at the .cfg is cheating the amount.

When I looked at the first time at my save-game and I have discovered, that its just a simple text file, its really difficult to not cheating, its so simple ...(man must have fortitude to not cheating ...)

Cheers,
Khiraly
miyo

Post by miyo »

You don't ruin our fun when you cheat... you ruin your own fun. I like the challenge, I like to play scenarios as meant by their designers.

It is pointless trying to prevent cheating as the sourcecode is there: anyone can get the sourcecode, modify the sourcecode for their benefit and compile.

So we keep it simple - plaintext. Good for debugging, good for cheating. We are not your parents - it is not our job to look after that you don't go cheating.

- Miyo

ps. Khiraly, this was not for you - this was to all those who cheat (and as we know you did not let the dark side get you *grin*)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Khiraly wrote: When I looked at the first time at my save-game and I have discovered, that its just a simple text file, its really difficult to not cheating, its so simple ...(man must have fortitude to not cheating ...)
If people insist on ruining their own fun by cheating, such is their choice.

This is an open game and will stay open. No attempt will be made to stop people from spoiling their own fun.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darmago

Post by Darmago »

There is one cheating that you should protect against. make it so no one can cheat through multiplayer
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darmago wrote:There is one cheating that you should protect against. make it so no one can cheat through multiplayer
Yes, we are attempting to do this, and while there are currently some ways a player could cheat in multiplayer, the common ones like editing a save file isn't really possible [1]

Also note that if you play with shroud or fog of war, cheating is almost certainly always going to be possible.

David

[1] Well, except for a PBEM, where cheating is pretty much impossible to stop, or if the game is saved on one player's machine and continued later.
Blackbeard

Re: Game Cheats...?

Post by Blackbeard »

/dev/null wrote:Has anyone found any cheat codes for this game, yes I play this game but it's the first time I've posted to the forum...but codes would make this game a little easier to play?!
What do you mean by 'cheat codes'?

What is hard with this game that you want made easier?
Darmago wrote: There is one cheating that you should protect against. make it so no one can cheat through multiplayer
Are you talking about the same 'cheat codes'?

Posting to the developers' forum asking for 'cheat codes' to make the game easier to play, strikes me as a little odd because the only 'cheating' going on is under the developers' noses. The game has 3 levels of difficulty, should there be more? I don't understand this kind of cheating :? , anyone care to fill me in?

I don't play many games, but the original poster's wording gives me a strong impression that its common for game developers to 'lose cheat codes' which players subsequently 'find' and then the game becomes 'easier to play'.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

perhaps he was not aware that you ARE the developers? maybe he thought we are just a fan website, though that would make little sense.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Archmage

your cheat

Post by Archmage »

Dave, I know you may not like this, but that "cheating" you were talking about with the switch -- debug file actually sounds fun. If you will, could you explain it to me a bit easier?
miyo

Post by miyo »

Go to terminal (command prompt, shell, etc) and start Wesnoth with 'wesnoth --debug'

- Miyo
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

Dave wrote:
Just open up a save file, and everything you want to change should be fairly obvious.

Alternatively, just run the game with the switch --debug, and then you will get a "Create Unit" option in the context menu, which allows you to create any unit anywhere on the map.

Personally I don't see how playing with cheating can be very much fun though.

David
So where are the save files kept? I don't see anything in either Wesnoth's folder nor my homedir, though the game shows several save files laying around... This is on Mac OS X, running the binary 0.8 package. Also, i haven't been able to start this app from the command line, so the debug thing doesn't work for me, either. It seems as though the cheats are only available to those who compile from source?

It's also not fun to to give up playing a scenario 'cuz it just keeps beating me into the dirt. If the choice is between cheating or finding some other game to play, i can live w/ moderate levels of cheating...

BTW, sir, my hat's off to you and the whole gang! My whole conception of open source games was based on years of playing Angband & family, Wesnoth just blew me away. I still find it hard to believe this isn't a commercial game.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The savefiles are in Wesnoth's preferences folder.

You can hold down the Option key while starting Wesnoth to turn on debug mode.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.