How to beat Loyalist with Undead ?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Panda_

How to beat Loyalist with Undead ?

Post by Panda_ »

Everything i try doesn't work.

Their mage kills me, and their heavy armor is too hard to handle.
I tried severals strategies:
- Getting more village, but my bats are getting down by cavalry, ghost can do it, but their cavalry is just cheaper and has same efficiency.
- Going to fight is crazy, only one well defended mage kills me one unit at a time.
- Of course, i try to attack in the night, but my efforts do well, but i can't kill enough unit to defend at sunshine.
- And if i try to defend, some more mage comes and wreak me havoc.

Please, have you got suggestions and strategies that could help me and other people in my case ?
Isawa Aneko
Ishiken

"Dead ? Me ? My clan is in danger, and the Empire is falling ! I don't have time to die !"
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Is this multiplayer, or is this a specific scenario in a campaign?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Glowing Fish wrote:Is this multiplayer, or is this a specific scenario in a campaign?
Sounds like a multiplayer problem.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dark Adepts kill Heavy Infantry rather effectively and also get the upper hand money-wise when dealing with Mages. *always* fight at night, if it's daylight do not press the attack unless you can kill two units with it, otherwise retreat to the best defense terrain you can find or just flee. It is also very helpful to have a movement advantage and to hold a position you can flee from.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Undead are not heavy on movement advantage though.

All fives.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Also the enemy will most likely field horsemen or cavalry as scouts which can tear a hole through the dark adepts. Then fall back to allow mages and heavy infantry to clean up.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Poison them all!

muwhaaahahahahaha

*cough* ah sorry, not sure what happened then...
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

As with anything IMHO it is all about choosing the right units. The counter to heavy infantry is dark adepts and ghosts. But then if he recruits a bunch of horsmen, then you recruit a bunch of skeleton archers. If he recruits mages then you just recruit your good ol slkeletons. Walking corpses are good too - if you know how to use them right. That is another whole issue in itself, but for begginers, I wouldn't recruit them.

But what to do if you are faced by an army of heavy infantry backed up by mages and with a bunch of calvery on the flanks. Well, I would recruit ghosts for scouts, to skirmish with the calvery at long range and later to help with the heavy infantrymen. Remeber, calvery and ghosts are about an equial match. Although calvery has longer range, ghosts can go faster over ruggid terrain. And ghosts are resistant to blade, impact and peirce. Just keep them away from the mages at all costs! If the calvery are a real mennice then I would just recruit some skeleton archers to take care of them. THey are resistant to perice and blade and they sure can dish it out to them. For the heavy infantry I would recruit dark adepts and some more ghosts. Ghosts are resistant to impact and they dish out the cold. I would use them to hold ground and the dark adepts to dish out the dammage. But if they have mages then you are going to have to get some skeletons in there to deal with them. Remember, unless they are holy then fire at least doesen't have any extra dammage on them, even though they are pretty deadly. But anyhow, however way you look at it, the mages are going to be the hard part, but rmemeber they cost 20 gold each. If you have more villages then they won't be able to feild as many and for every one you kill you have just given a good blow to their fighting force. And even if you have to sacrifice a few skeletons, remember they only cost 15 gold while mages cost 20.

Other then that, the rest is up to battle tactics. Knowing when to attack, retreat and hold ground, staying in the right terrain and all that stuff. IMHO, that is the most importnat factor that decides weithr you win or loose a game.

Hope I have been of some help.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Elvish_Pillager

Taurus wrote:But what to do if you are faced by an army of heavy infantry backed up by mages and with a bunch of calvery on the flanks.
If you started with 100 gold, and "a bunch" is only 2, and there are only 2 mages, then "an army oh heavy infantry" must be an army of one. If you started with more gold than that, then it gets a bit easier due to having more gold.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I have found the strategy of swarming lonely enemy units with bats or corpses quite effective.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

I think most of the battle is up to the ghoul and dark adept now not the skelly, although the archer can add a bit against horsemen. Sure skellies can kill mages but the mages are backed by the heavy infantry and the two both have an advantage against the skelly. Also fielding the archers to take on cavalry or horsemen depending n the loyalists scout preference isn't cost efficient as there bound to be destroyed quickly by the mages and hi and never be able to hunt down their fast moving target. As for the ghost he's a bit of a gamble with mages around but he's a pasable if somewhat expensive scout. Due to his low water movement though he's proobably only come to be of great use in larger maps. And now we come to the ghoul. Sitting in a village day or night he's the undeads equivalent of a steadfast unit. Sure he can't stand under a mage barage but he will hold off the heavy infantry and soften them up for the das. He's also probably a moore effiecient mage killer even with 2 less life merely because he'll take less damage and the poison will keep the mage off the battlefield for the ghsts to do their job. Though they do have the weakness of the horsemen being able to finish them off as well. The one thing I just can't agree in this topic is the retreat. Sure it keeps your units away from battle, but it loses you income pretty quick, aand if your trully doing an almost full retreat for 3-4 turns they might get depending on settings an extra unit or two to face you with from the profits gained. I belive a hunker down strategy is called fr and squat in towns and mountains making the enemy at least pay for those towns dearly.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Elvish_Pillager

Tippsey wrote:The one thing I just can't agree in this topic is the retreat. Sure it keeps your units away from battle, but it loses you income pretty quick, aand if your trully doing an almost full retreat for 3-4 turns they might get depending on settings an extra unit or two to face you with from the profits gained. I belive a hunker down strategy is called fr and squat in towns and mountains making the enemy at least pay for those towns dearly.
Well, certainly a retreat isn't good in all situations, in fact in most it's not. However, it is very useful if it is awkward to follow. Breaking up to grab villages and stepping behind a ghoul-village are both forms of retreat.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I never tryed but i think ... ghosts.
they arent'weak against mages,but their attack is weak,
walking corpses,they can kill the mages and be more,they are also cheap,,and you can recruit more,and the mages can kill one each attack.
ghouls because they can poison.
Great Mage Nicolas
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Nicolas wrote:I never tryed but i think ... ghosts.
they arent'weak against mages
That's an interesting opinion. :P
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme