Save/Load mania...

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

"To load,or not to load?"

Load ! - to save my elite units !
63%
Not to load ! - I prefer losing elites, than losing pleasure from the game !
38%

Total votes: 48

szopen

Post by szopen »

It's not about cutting uberluck. It's about having fun. Everyone defines fun differently. For some, it's to be REALLY good and finish off AI despite any odds. For others, playing and finishing the game is fun enough.
Faello

Post by Faello »

for those that only reload when the AI gets a real lucky hit (ie 3 of 3 hits on a 40% probability), i have a question for you....
do you reload when one of YOUR units gets a realy lucky hit (like 3 of 3....)?
because if you dont (and i doubt anyone has save/reloaded to give the computer better odds at killing or surviving) then you're not "evening the odds" or "cutting out the uber luck". you're scewing the odds in your favor, just like those that reload every single time there's ANY damage to ANY of htier units. so dont fool yourself.
You're absolutely right imo Roddy - mid-game reloading is also some kind of exploit - now I'm playing without it and I've learned the same things as you - I make my moves more cautiously, try to defend heavily wounded units, mages, defending main heroes - my tactics generally changed really now and I think that I've learned a lot - but I'm still learning ( currently I don't play, because I have a lot of exams to pass :( ). But in the July, I will again work on my skills :D
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
lockeff3

Post by lockeff3 »

Has anyone here played Fire Emblem? It is somehow coded that every possible battle has a certain outcome... Sort of a "Destiny" coding system. For example, you save a file with a character that has a 90% chance to hit another character. The main character ends up missing. You reload and try again, but to no avail, and so on and so forth. No matter what the main character is always going to miss on that round. Maybe if the Devs feel like coding it, they can dissuade you from saving/loading, although I (and most likely them as well) am against it.

What about you guys?
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Yes the fire emblem system would be nice but then it might make people more angry when they died due to luck as they missed 4 times and the enemy hit 4 times, and now they must restart. Some save loads do happen due to that as well.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

I have a couple policies, depending on my mood:

1) hardcore. scenario restart only (or restart to a point before anything significant random happened)
2) save at beginning of turn so I can redo my turn with different strategies; never try the same strategy twice just hoping for a better result. For example, if the enemy had a unit I didn't see, I can react to that.
3) throw out runs of luck that are both A) catastrophic and B) extremely unlikely (under 1%). This is kind of rare. It's like if I have an elf on forest who is attacked for 7 normal strikes, and 6 of them hit.
4) I can save-load as much as I want, so long as the cumulative expected damage is more in my favor than the actual damage, for the entire campaign. This is quickly self-correcting.
khamul

Post by khamul »

I've found drachefly's (2) option a good choice for a starting player.

When you're new to the game, you're going to make mistakes: in my case, lots of them.

If you try just live with the consequences, it'll take you a long time and a lot of frustration until you've got wise enough to complete a campaign.

If you save-load your way through a fight each time someone should have died because of a mistake you made, all you'll learn is that watching a loading screen gets boring after a while. You don't learn what the mistake was.

If you reload to the point before you made the mistake, and try a different strategy, you'll start to see what you did wrong. Hopefully you should begin to need to save/load less often.
Kamamura

Post by Kamamura »

"...only reload when the AI gets a real lucky hit (ie 3 of 3 hits on a 40% probability)"

According to my calculation, the probablility that this will happen is 6,4 % (2/5 that it happens in one hit, (2/5)^3 = 8/125 = 0.064 = 6.4 % )

That means you are reloading once in 16-17 such fights on the average - and this is not so infrequent, considering the amount of combat in a large skirmish.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I load if i lose a troop due to bad luck, but most of the fun is from working to keep troops alive, so save-loading just defeats the whole purpose :!:

I'm getting good with doing Undead, Orcs w/o losing many troops that I want to keep :mrgreen:
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well