Isle of the Damned - defeating both leaders

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pythagoras

Isle of the Damned - defeating both leaders

Post by Pythagoras »

I'm playing HttT on medium difficulty and am attempting to beat both leaders on Isle of the Damned. I'm wondering (for those of you who've done it) what you did. Here's what I've been trying:

- Merman rush in one direction, while maintaining a defensive front to occupy the main mass of the enemy troops. Try to trap the enemy leader alone in the daytime. With the southern leader, I can ussually send some merman in the swamp/shallow area between the southern island to cut off any reinforcements.

- Footpads/The Outlaw you get at the beginning/The white mage you can find harrass the green (Northern) leader's troops from the mountains coupled with merman harrasment from sea. Get at the leader eventually and kill'em!

PS Thisis probably the most fulfilling TBS experience I've had since Civ 1. Great job for all involved.
Student of Trinity

Post by Student of Trinity »

This is as far as I've gotten, so others have deeper wisdom, but I did just do this, on medium difficulty.

Grab lots of towns fast, and send a few mermen down to the island towns to the south.

Get the White Mage with the Outlaw ASP, and retreat with them both back to your coastal village area. Let both enemies come to you, and destroy them in a defensive battle.

Send mermen after the southern lich as the northern battle winds down, then invade the north lich with the Mage and your outlaw troops.

I tried hard to do it before I discovered the Mage, with Mermen suicide squads and Footpad village holders. I could get one lich but never both.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

It's kinda funny to see someone that joined march 11, but I'm still in march 10, :)
Sorry for the meaningless post
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I can't think, which one is the Isle of the Damned??
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Assasin wrote:I can't think, which one is the Isle of the Damned??
IotD is the one after BoP.

BTW, If a thread is more than a week old, and you really don't have anything to add, its usually a good idea not to add anything. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

hey, I just realized that.
Pythagoras

Post by Pythagoras »

Student of Trinity wrote:This is as far as I've gotten, so others have deeper wisdom, but I did just do this, on medium difficulty.

Grab lots of towns fast, and send a few mermen down to the island towns to the south.

Get the White Mage with the Outlaw ASP, and retreat with them both back to your coastal village area. Let both enemies come to you, and destroy them in a defensive battle.

Send mermen after the southern lich as the northern battle winds down, then invade the north lich with the Mage and your outlaw troops.

I tried hard to do it before I discovered the Mage, with Mermen suicide squads and Footpad village holders. I could get one lich but never both.
One option I've been playing with is keeping the Mage with the outlaw on the bottom-left of the main island, out of the way of both Lich's incoming forces. As the northern leader's troops begin their full onslaught of your defenses (leaving their leader defenseless), attempt to move the Mage north and attack the leader. With some luck, the mage can defeat the leader in a single attack in daylight. The Northern leader tends to recruit slow skeleton warriors, so his only source of help will be what he is able to recruit locally as the skeleton warriors attacking your troops will not be able to make it back in time. The tricky part of this strategy is saving the white mage from being surrounded and killed.
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

Get the temple with the white mage then ignore teh temples. build lots of thugs and use mermen to capture villiages and distract you have to build some poachers but not as many as thugs.
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

Turn 1: I buy 2 outlaws and 2 poachers. Mermen HURRY to harrass the rears of their respective targets. No stopping off for villages.
Turn 2: I buy a merman and 2 thugs, have Konrad head for the front lines in the south.

Urlaf goes to get Moremirmu, they and one of the outlaws will take on the entire army of the north with the northern merman providing a distraction.

The battle in the south takes place on the edge of the forest. If I placed the southern merman right, the enemy will have three or four ghosts surrounding him. With a bit of jockeying, he can bust free and get into a village, where he can tie those four ghosts up indefinitely.

I make no effort to protect the villages I take in the north, letting the southern lich's skeletons grab them, as it lets me bypass them on the way south.