Campaigns lacking strategic deph?(deathball)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Terrarius

Campaigns lacking strategic deph?(deathball)

Post by Terrarius »

I just finished the HTTT campeign and towards the end i noticed that the strategic deph was realy lacking.Given how carry over gold works its usualy not a good idea to go for mapcontrol because the turns you spent doing that are turns you lose for the early finish bonus.
The strat for most later HTTT scenarios was the same:use the starting gold to recruit a giant deathball of units during the first 2-4 turns,march towards your target,if enemys are infront of you, move out of their attackrange and than let them come to you so that you can blow them up with their weaker attacktype and continiue the march towards your objective(while the game does a good job at making chances about equal for 2 armys nomatter who engages first if the AI just sents individual units it clearly becomes superior to get the first strike yourself)

I wonder...do most other campeigns suffer from the deathball strat becoming waaay to good too?
The main reasons for deathball beeing meta in HTTT(and which i wonder if other campeigns fixed)
-you only have one target or if you have multiple targets you can easyly afford to sent your deathball from one target to the next to the next(too much time)
-theres minimum starter gold..so even if you lose tons of gold because you have a giant deathball without any villages your gold will be fine in the next scenario
-theres nothing you need to defend.As mentioned taking villages is not all that valueable.While you have to carefully manage defense and offense in other games,atleast in HTTT you can just sent everything into 1 massive deathball because theres nothing worth protecting on the map
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Campaigns lacking strategic deph?(deathball)

Post by beetlenaut »

HttT is a Novice-level campaign. It's not supposed to have a lot of strategic depth or be that hard. (And, yes, the end is particularly bad that way.) Try some of the Intermediate ones. It sounds like you would like Liberty.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Terrarius

Post by Terrarius »

beetlenaut wrote: September 6th, 2018, 6:14 am HttT is a Novice-level campaign. It's not supposed to have a lot of strategic depth or be that hard. (And, yes, the end is particularly bad that way.) Try some of the Intermediate ones. It sounds like you would like Liberty.
Which difficulty would you recommend?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I usually recommend Normal difficulty to start. Easy is a little too easy for a lot of people, and you have made it through HttT. But, if you played HttT on Challenging, use that. (Don't worry too much about it though: You can always change the difficulty later on the load screen if you choose the beginning of scenario save.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

This may be worth considering: Do put an maximum cap to the initial gold available possible, rest of the carried over gold will not evaporate into thin air but arrive at a later turn(s if too much).