Why are elves so popular?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

tomsik wrote:I dont know why elves is so good, but i every seen its im MP
Elves/rebels aren't overpowered, they are just quite popular. Many players play the tutorial and then some of Heir to the Throne before trying multiplayer. Which faction do they know the best? Which have the had a lot of practice using? The elves/rebels. And they are a pretty well balanced faction.
beorhtulf

Post by beorhtulf »

Hi,

I just discovered Wesnoth this week-end and quite liked it. I have played the 2 tutorials then only played in multi on 1vs1 against both human and computer.
I think elves are good at what they are doing, having fast, not too expensive or bad units. I think in some case they prove to be unbeatable (of course I speak with not a huge experience). In most of the game I made with or against, horse rangers where quite impressive : they aren't as expensive as griffon, move really fast (and through forest which imho is a big advantage), have a big line of sight and are quite resistants. They can beat bats and avoid most battle by running away. For me best is to get most villages and us some guerilla tactic : stole most enemy villages and avoid the fights. Keeping a fighter force in the middle keep the ennemy busy until he run off ressources, meanwhile your front will be constantly reinforce thanks to riders.
Compare to human : the cost of riders is lower and they have a longer range without been restricted by forest. So their expansion and map control will be faster.
Against undead : they should gain control of the map that way to : they beat bats and are faster than ghosts. I tested this against undead AI : I thought he would create bat but went ghost/skeleton instead. Still he was rapidly outnumber and easily lost his villages. The ranger and elves fighters aren't too strong in 1vs1 as undead ar resistant against swords. However map control allow a constant flow of troups and wait until whose and magic troops came in play.
So I think medium to high speed, not to expensive base units make the difference. Of course no tactic is unbeatable and this could change on scenario condition : I always started with 100 gold and map is the basic (with forest) auto generated. Haven't tried it on desert or other conditions.

Anyway I really like the game and hope it will continue like this
Cheers
darksteel

Wow

Post by darksteel »

WOW,well I am really glad you like eves and hope to challenge you in multiplayer someday. :D
Rigol

Elves against undead

Post by Rigol »

In my experience (albeit just mainly playing solo Mystery Battles and levelling up) Elves are actually pretty rotten against undead. The gold cost of elves is higher than it would be if they only had one kind of attack each, yet their extra points are slightly wasted because the widespread piercing attacks are bad vs undead and the typical alternative - sword attacks - are just ok. Woses are fairly well optimised against undead (impact attacks and good resistance to pericing work well), however they are very vulnerable to dark adept and need to be shielded.

I do enjoy taking dwarf ulfserkers/berserkers against dark adepts - the drawf automatically kills with no damage sustained!

The rotten levelling-up potential of mounted elf scouts stops me buying them. Really, they aren't much different to foot elf troops anyway - a little bit faster but a little bit weaker.
Rigol
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Scouts are really weak - lvl2 Rider is just a fast version of fighter witch better ranged attack, but worse def in villages (btw why wolf rider has 60% in village?). To fight undeads you nedd day and mages with help of cheap fighters. Shamans are grat to block adepts too - slowed adept has only 10-1. But still it's had to win, cause meges/woses are almost useless at night. Leadership can help a lot, but most players know that.
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

i like elves
The darksteel eye

For a wesnoth strategie guide click here----------> http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7109
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

darksteel wrote:i like elves
So do I. Do you have anything more constructive to say?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I find that the only human units that are effective against the Undead are the Mage and the Heavy Infantryman(Rebels Woses).
Sorry for the meaningless post
Disto

Post by Disto »

Dragonking wrote:Scouts are really weak - lvl2 Rider is just a fast version of fighter witch better ranged attack, but worse def in villages (btw why wolf rider has 60% in village?). To fight undeads you nedd day and mages with help of cheap fighters. Shamans are grat to block adepts too - slowed adept has only 10-1. But still it's had to win, cause meges/woses are almost useless at night. Leadership can help a lot, but most players know that.
Scouts do need to be upgraded and personally i feel the devs should say why my Elvish Horse Archer (avatar) is bad.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Disto wrote:
Dragonking wrote:Scouts are really weak - lvl2 Rider is just a fast version of fighter witch better ranged attack, but worse def in villages (btw why wolf rider has 60% in village?). To fight undeads you nedd day and mages with help of cheap fighters. Shamans are grat to block adepts too - slowed adept has only 10-1. But still it's had to win, cause meges/woses are almost useless at night. Leadership can help a lot, but most players know that.
Scouts do need to be upgraded and personally i feel the devs should say why my Elvish Horse Archer (avatar) is bad.
I agree. My personal opinion: Elvish Horse Archer should be avaliabe on MP. Rider is too weak lvl2 unit too fight with equal chances even with lvl one units
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Scouts are weak because they are ..scouts. They are designed to be fast and mobile, and so allow better vision with shroud/fog and take villages quicker, not heavy hitters. However, some of them would deserve a revision of their stats.

Wolf rider has 60% in village to compensate the lack of ranged or better resistances. Same as footpad.
Trias

Post by Trias »

are you kidding me? elves royally suck right now if you use the right combos, For one Drakes and Undead own the elves seeing as undead skeletons are the bane of all archers and swords in general, also their ghosts cant be touched by arrows or swords as well, drakes can burn the shiznit out of anyone and are also resitant to the elves' arrows and can reply with a burn attack.. woses are worthless vs drakes, so your left with all these ground units that cant nearly move the speed of that at which the drakes can move
"I came, I saw, I conquered." - Julius Caesar
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Trias wrote:are you kidding me? elves royally suck right now if you use the right combos, For one Drakes and Undead own the elves seeing as undead skeletons are the bane of all archers and swords in general, also their ghosts cant be touched by arrows or swords as well, drakes can burn the shiznit out of anyone and are also resitant to the elves' arrows and can reply with a burn attack.. woses are worthless vs drakes, so your left with all these ground units that cant nearly move the speed of that at which the drakes can move
You use woses against undead, and archers against drakes. Obviously you don't try to use the units good against one faction against one that they are not good against.

and BTW, drakes are actually weak against the elves arrows. (pierce!)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Every race has their pros and cons. For example, the Dwarfs are excelent fighters, and their specialty is mountain fighting. However, most units usually get a bigger defense on mountains, but the Dwarfs do go beserk. The Elves rule the woods, which is great because most don't get a big defense in trees. The Undead are good against the Elves only because of the skeletons, but the zombies are no problem at all for them. My personal favorit is the Elves, because of their Avengers. The scouts can be a very valuable tool if you use it correctly. I find the Griffens are only good when they upgrade, and even then they only get two attacks, which really sucks if you go against something like a wolf rider. The Elvish Champions are not the best in melee, but they do get one of the best range attacks, as with the High Lord. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive the rebles get Mages also. So if you add that in, you have a very rounded race. Sure, the humans I find have are much better at melee, but if you use your achers against them, they can't strike back. The same thing goes with the Dwarfs. They only real range unit they have is their Thunderstick, and he only gets on, large, attack. If he misses, your screwed. I haven't used the Drakes yet, so I can't give much on that, but I know that the Undead are seriously lacking in some things. They do have great magic, and some fairly good melee, but if you use the right units against them, they are easily conquered.[/i]
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

turin wrote: You use woses against undead, and archers against drakes. Obviously you don't try to use the units good against one faction against one that they are not good against.

and BTW, drakes are actually weak against the elves arrows. (pierce!)
Right on. There's nothing funnier than a bitter elf player.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme