Wesnoth strategy puzzles

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Wesnoth strategy puzzles

Post by Inky »

So, I stole was inspired by Crimson_Conure's idea on the Wesnoth discord of making Wesnoth strategy puzzles, sort of like the tactical puzzles you see in chess. Even though Wesnoth is RNG based, there are still tons of situations where there's a best move/sequence of moves.

Here's my attempt at making some (hopefully they make sense)! :D For convenience I labeled the important hexes.
#1. Nightgaunt trio:
#2. Ambush:
EDIT: Added an elvish fighter to the second one, hopefully only the intended solution is possible now.
EDIT2 (4/21/2018): as mousyack pointed out adding a fighter right next to hex 5 made it unsolvable; moved the fighter back a hex.

And if anyone else comes up with puzzles, feel free to post them!

---
edit: I've now made an add-on called Tactics Puzzles, now in the 1.12 add-on server! 8)
Xara

Re: Wesnoth strategy puzzles

Post by Xara »

One way I can see this work is if you make a scenario where players can do several challenges repetitive. The number of total tries can be taken as scores.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

#1 post NE-SW, attack with both, if still not dead attack with third.
#2 If Ranger is in 9 or 6 you cant reach him this turn. Move Grunt to 3 to see if Ranger is in 6, if yes then move wolf 10,8 else move grunt out of way then 5,3,4 with wolf.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Great idea! If we collect enough puzzles we could start a Wesnoth magazine :D

My solution to the first:
Spoiler:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

#1: Skeptical_troll's answer is exactly right! The idea is you want all 3 nightgaunts to backstab and you also want to avoid leaving a nightgaunt in the two eastern hexes where 3 spearmen can reach.

#2: Eagle_11s answer works! I actually overlooked that. The intended solution was to move the grunt to 3 then south to 6 to check hex 9 but turns out you don't need to do that. I'll see if I can modify it somehow so you have to check that hex. :hmm:

An add-on where you can try moves sounds like a great idea, but I'm not familiar enough with WML and don't have the time to learn right now - I'll definitely keep it in mind for later though!
Crimson_Conure
2019 Amateur Fast Champion

Post by Crimson_Conure »

Wow, I already learned a lot! :D. I totally missed that idea of moving twice with the NE nightgaunt. Yeah, this whole concept seems useful for training Wesnoth tactics. From experience playing chess, I can say that people, even grandmasters, miss simple mathematical tactics all the time.

P.s. Thank you for giving me credit on the idea of Wesnoth strategy puzzles :]
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

I think the solution to the second one now goes
Spoiler:
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

You can definitely always reach even if he's at 10 by going up and around the fighter (maybe the puzzle was changed to allow this :>)
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Ah, mousyack is right, I accidentally made it unsolvable :doh: The wolf wouldn't be able to go around the fighter since the movement cost in forest is 2.

I think mayyybe moving the fighter back a hex fixes it?
Spoiler: