Heir to the Throne hard permadeath victory

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Heir to the Throne hard permadeath victory

Postby oaq » January 5th, 2018, 1:18 am

At hard difficulty, can Heir to the Throne be won without scenario restarts? If you lose a scenario, it's permadeath: you go back to the beginning—not of the scenario—but of the campaign. That is the challenge.

Four years since my first attempt, I have done it.

Has it been done before? By whom?

The style of play is interesting. The style forces one to value mandatory companions like Delfador more than other loyal units. Moreover, the style promotes sound operational plans that have high chances of success.

Replays can be posted if demanded.
oaq

Re: Heir to the Throne hard permadeath victory

Postby max_torch » January 5th, 2018, 4:51 pm

i would like to look at your replays and see the way you played. What version of wesnoth do they have to be viewed on?

Dugi made an "unforgiving hardcore mod" which forces a player to play without any loading and restarting. It's in the add-ons list. You could try to use the said add-on when you undertake another campaign.
max_torch

Postby oaq » January 5th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I would like to look at your replays and see the way you played.

The 24 replays, bundled into a TAR file, are attached. (If the format is inconvenient, please advise.)

Note: a permadeath player plays early scenarios more often than late. Therefore, the replays may show more skill early than late.

What version of wesnoth do they have to be viewed on?

I played them on 1.12.6.

Thank you for the information re the "unforgiving hardcore mod."

(Note to Wesnoth beginners: the replays are spoilers, posted at an experienced player's request; as a beginner, you probably don't want to review the replays. However, should you review a given replay, anyway, to help you to pass a particular scenario, you could observe that much of my play is opportunistic. For example, the first scenario's recruits are not a finely balanced selection of forces but are the result of my looking strategically for certain traits toward future scenarios; and, indeed, I would probably recruit a different mix of units next time I played the first scenario, depending on the traits of my other recruits; so, by reviewing the replay one can misinterpret the plan insofar as part of the plan is to recruit not only units but traits. Likewise, the times and places at which attacks are launched, or defenses erected, during some later scenarios depend on when and where the foe seems relatively weak. Therefore, were you inclined to model your play on mine, you could do so with respect to general principles but maybe not with respect to particular details.)
Attachments
httt-oaq.tar
Oaq's Heir to the Throne hard permadeath victory replays
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
oaq

Postby max_torch » January 9th, 2018, 1:05 pm

I've been watching the replays and I'm now at "The Lost General". I had to pause and comment here and say:
Spoiler:
max_torch

Postby oaq » January 10th, 2018, 6:36 pm

@max_torch:
Spoiler:
oaq

Return to Strategies & Tips