HttT-The Siege of Elensefar - Go for fast ending or milk XP?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WurmD

HttT-The Siege of Elensefar - Go for fast ending or milk XP?

Post by WurmD »

Hi Guys,

Playing normal, the first campaign, I found myself being able to win "fast" but also being able to milk XP (since the undead adversary was churning 1 unit a turn and sending them alone).

Thus, in such a situation, what would you prefer? :)

(I'm kinda reluctant to post this, since "if you're winning that 'easily' you should be playing hard" thought, but still! Academic discussion :D go!)

EDIT: whoever wants to laugh a little imagining my face in turn 26, here's the replay :3

EDIT2: Huh, this post's question applies to the following scenario as well "Crossroads": what would you prefer? A quick victory avoiding one enemy, or killing everything to get max XP?
Attachments
HttT-The_Siege_of_Elensefar_replay_lol.gz
(56.95 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: HttT-The Siege of Elensefar - Go for fast ending or milk

Post by beetlenaut »

It's usually more useful to be able to buy one more unit on the next level rather than the same number of units with more XP. However, if you have captured all the villages already, you will get almost the same amount of gold by staying on the level or leaving early, so you might as well get some more kills in that case.

Note that merfolk do not get defense bonuses from land villages, so putting wounded ones in range of the enemy on land villages is a bad idea. (Land-based units do not get defense bonuses from water villages either.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Poison

Post by Poison »

I think if you play like this you will be destroyed on hard, that's pretty terrible. Early finish is my choice too.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

WurmD wrote:(I'm kinda reluctant to post this, since "if you're winning that 'easily' you should be playing hard" thought, but still! Academic discussion go!)
Any and all posts are welcome - you can always still get advice on how to improve your game such as beetlenaut offered or just general feedback on what other players have done in the past.

Speaking of helpful advice...
Poison wrote:I think if you play like this you will be destroyed on hard, that's pretty terrible.
If you are going to be blunt, you might want to provide some focused constructive criticism instead of generalizations.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

WurmD wrote:Thus, in such a situation, what would you prefer? :)
... If I were ever in such a situation I'd probably level my shamans into druids asap then finish the scenario... if I were ever in that situation; I'd settle for being able to beat it consistently on easy :lol:
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I think instead of finishing the main battle as fast as you did, you could have taken more time to be more defensive and preserve your veterans, which would have been more valuable than either the 8XP per turn or the gold from finishing early.
For example it seems like Konrad's army saw the orcs happily splashing about in the moat and were eager to join in the fun, but they probably would have lived a bit longer if they had waited on the shore instead. :P
ElvishMystical

Re: HttT-The Siege of Elensefar - Go for fast ending or milk XP?

Post by ElvishMystical »

I think in my case it depends what state my units are in when we get to the island, how I got to that scenario and what my recall list is like. Oh and how much gold I have.

I've played HttT quite a lot but things never really go to plan at Siege of Elensefar. I'm aware of the jump in difficulty levels (it's the first scenario where the Orcs become psychotic) but I've never worked out how to start this scenario off. I've never beaten it by staying in the forest down south. Therefore while I sense that this is a chance to get XP for the Valley of Death and get pushed around a bit by zombies it never quite works out that way.

Usually there's all these skeletons and elves whacking each other all over the north then someone eventually gets into the cave to whack the Undead leader.

I tend to use Crossroads for milking XP. It's usually messy.