In Dead Water - who should get a Ring of Strength?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revolting_peasant

In Dead Water - who should get a Ring of Strength?

Post by revolting_peasant »

I'm playing Dead Water on medium difficulty. I've managed to kill Mal-Daveth, who leaves behind a Vampire Bat and Ring of Strength: +3 HP and +1 damage/attack.

The question is: Who should get the ring?

Options:
  • Kai Krellis: Probably not, since he's nearly L2 already and hopefully should not see a lot of action (staying in keeps to recruit).
  • Gwabbo: Possibly, but - his best attack is his net, and that's just 2 hits, as opposed to, say, a Priestess
  • Cylanna: She would benefit more from the damage increase. But then, a Priestess is not as much of a front-liner as what I expect a Net-caster to be, specifically Gwabbo, or the bat.
  • The Vampire Bat: A major weakness of bats is their low HP and weak attacks. If you improved those, a leveled-up Dread Bat would be quite formidable - for a race with no flyers or generally-fast scouts like the Mermen. But then - will I actually get much mileage out of it in this campaign.
  • Non-loyal unit: Probably not worth it, right?
What do you think?
Poison

Re: In Dead Water - who should get a Ring of Strength?

Post by Poison »

revolting_peasant wrote:I'm playing Dead Water on medium difficulty. I've managed to kill Mal-Daveth, who leaves behind a Vampire Bat and Ring of Strength: +3 HP and +1 damage/attack.

The question is: Who should get the ring?
It's not that it makes such a big difference, I consider it more of an award for killing the guy.
revolting_peasant wrote:
  • Kai Krellis: Probably not, since he's nearly L2 already and hopefully should not see a lot of action (staying in keeps to recruit).
Get the man out there, he's a beast.

revolting_peasant wrote:
  • Gwabbo: Possibly, but - his best attack is his net, and that's just 2 hits, as opposed to, say, a Priestess
It's not like you will never hit someone with the melee attack though, you'll use it quite often. A good candidate.
revolting_peasant wrote:
  • The Vampire Bat: A major weakness of bats is their low HP and weak attacks. If you improved those, a leveled-up Dread Bat would be quite formidable - for a race with no flyers or generally-fast scouts like the Mermen. But then - will I actually get much mileage out of it in this campaign.
Bats can't wear the ring, I'm pretty sure about that. It would be nice if you can beat all 3 leaders, because
Spoiler:
revolting_peasant wrote:
  • Non-loyal unit: Probably not worth it, right?
Why not? Do you plan to never recall anyone ever again? :P I gave it to a netcaster with both the strong and resilient traits. Giving it to a quick guy will probably be better though for those extra hp.
Last edited by Poison on October 3rd, 2017, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

What, no mention of Cylanna in the above post? I think she's the best choice since arcane damage is so great in this campaign, not just against undead but also drakes and those giant scorpions, and she also benefits from some extra HP. Also I think diviners make great frontline units in this campaign with their illuminates ability.

I think you actually can give the ring to the bat, which is an interesting idea.

...of course, what they should have done was hold on to the ring and give it to Inky later! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I personally agree with poison, those bats were awesome by the end i had 3 dread bats and it was very impressive! :D I would give it to a bat because a fast and strong scout is really good. Also since bats drain the more hp they have the better!

But also non-loyal units would be worth giving it to. Particularly a netcaster or initiate because their impact attacks are very useful against undead.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Inky wrote:What, no mention of Cylanna in the above post? I think she's the best choice since arcane damage is so great in this campaign, not just against undead but also drakes and those giant scorpions, and she also benefits from some extra HP. Also I think diviners make great frontline units in this campaign with their illuminates ability.
Well, personally I don't remember either hitting with melee or shielding with her even once. Ring of Strength doesn't improve ranged, only melee right? I'm probably wrong there too, just like the bat. I thought it was melee only, because you know, strength. But if it improves all attacks it's a good choice too, yes (actually starting to become the best choice).
Inky wrote:I think you actually can give the ring to the bat, which is an interesting idea.
My bad, sorry.
Inky wrote:...of course, what they should have done was hold on to the ring and give it to Inky later! :D
Well if one doesn't defeat the leader at Flight he drops the ring also at the last scenario. You can give it to Inky then, though probably it's not worth it so late.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

The ring gives +1 to both melee and ranged attacks.
Speaking of bats, what's really funny is that bats can also pick up the flaming sword! I guess they hold it in their teeth or something...
Poison wrote:Well if one doesn't defeat the leader at Flight he drops the ring also at the last scenario. You can give it to Inky then, though probably it's not worth it so late.
Oh wow, I was just joking, I didn't realize you actually could give the ring to Inky! Who cares how useful that is, I'm definitely doing that next playthrough :twisted:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Inky wrote:I guess they hold it in their teeth or something...
:lol:
Inky wrote:I'm definitely doing that next playthrough :twisted:
I guess i know why your user is named inky then ;) (though even without this comment i probably could have figured, but i wonder why your user picture is of a tentacle from the deep not inky?)
Poison wrote:But if it improves all attacks it's a good choice too, yes (actually starting to become the best choice).
Yes, and if you advance her into a diviner the arcane is unbelievably powerful against undead :shock:
revolting_peasant

Poison wrote:
revolting_peasant wrote: Kai Krellis: Probably not, since he's nearly L2 already and hopefully should not see a lot of action (staying in keeps to recruit).
Get the man out there, he's a beast.
He does need to recruit though. Also, the beast getting HP doesn't help all that much - he's already a beast.
Poison wrote:Bats can't wear the ring, I'm pretty sure about that.
They wear it on one of their claws - and proudly! I've gone with the bat, based on your recommendation.
Poison wrote:
revolting_peasant wrote:Non-loyal unit: Probably not worth it, right?
Why not?
Because for almost every non-loyal candidate there's an equivalent/similar loyal candidate.
revolting_peasant

Inky wrote:Speaking of bats, what's really funny is that bats can also pick up the flaming sword! I guess they hold it in their teeth or something...
Well, this got me thinking, and - unfortunately, the bats can't pick up the Storm Trident in Wolf Coast. Too bad, that would have been totally awesome.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah that would be a little to powerful :D
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I prefer Gwabbo.
He is my favorite unit in this campaning
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
revolting_peasant

I was very pleased with my Strengthened Dread Bat in the campaign.

Once you go bat - you never go, uhm, back. Take that!
trickitiki

Post by trickitiki »

To my mind it's Cuttle Fish. Becuz hshe has the most count of attacks (melee), so this +1 damage will have greater multiplier there. (When monster is full-healed ofc, that may be a problem on the other hand).
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

trickitiki, it's possible to get the ring in scenario 2 and have it for the rest of the campaign.