Water Units Ruining the Game

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Part of the strategy of water units, is balancing your budget. Having many more aquatic warriors than your opponent can be expensive. The opportunity cost is that you are diminishing your ground forces in order to gain this superiority.

An analogy would be aircraft. You need to have enough aircraft such that you maintain air superiority in an engagement. Losing air superiority is very bad. However, bringing exclusively aircraft is also folly. Aircraft are expensive, need vast resources to maintain, and when it comes down to it you still have to engage the rest of the enemy forces on the ground (People may note that aerial bombing is more an act of terror than effective warring).

I guess all I'm trying to say is that instead of trying to flame units out of the game, think of and discuss effective ways to use and/ or defeat them. And I mean 'in the grand scheme of things', not just on a per engagement level.

Should all flying units be removed from the game because 'not all factions have them' or 'they have 50% defence everywhere'?
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Breeblebox wrote:Should all flying units
Hmm, let's remove the flying units! They're too weak because we don't use enough 'air' terrain! And they're overpowered on the maps that do have a lot of 'air' terrain!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

Post by newbie »

lol. Check out the post in ideas that I have, I'm sure this will solve the problems and make water strategy better for everyone.
addicted to this game would be an understatement <(@.@)> .
pravin

Post by pravin »

Shadow wrote:The Knalgan Alliance isn´t finished yet they will get a unit with a magic attack.
some would argue that the knalgan's are really powerful as they are and any additions would make them invincible ;)
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
scott

Post by scott »

pravin wrote: some would argue that the knalgan's are really powerful as they are and any additions would make them invincible ;)
Please do so
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

pravin wrote:some would argue that the knalgan's are really powerful as they are and any additions would make them invincible ;)
That might be "one would argue". I haven't met anyone who acually makes a decent argument that knalgans are any good, and, from what I can see, they suck...

WHy do you say they are the best? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Trias

nagas

Post by Trias »

Nagas and water battles arent all upon luck and massing, if you would care to look at their profiles the nagas are CHAOTIC and the mermen are LAWFUL meaning attack nagas during day and mermen at night, that combined with your own magic user and archer units are enough to take out water units, if that doesnt work, use flyers or just ignore them.. or use a castle to defend (example blitz)
"I came, I saw, I conquered." - Julius Caesar
turin
Lord of the East

Re: nagas

Post by turin »

Trias wrote:Nagas and water battles arent all upon luck and massing, if you would care to look at their profiles the nagas are CHAOTIC and the mermen are LAWFUL meaning attack nagas during day and mermen at night, that combined with your own magic user and archer units are enough to take out water units, if that doesnt work, use flyers or just ignore them.. or use a castle to defend (example blitz)
Nagas are neutral. Always have been, AFAIK always will be.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Hum...I thought that they were chaotic as well.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

sorry dude, they are neutral. Merman/maids :) are lawful. However, I prefer Nagas over the Mermen. They fight better on land, and the level 3 characters are better. Besisdes, they have two swords, they just look cool.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I think 70% defense on water for nagas and mermaids is valid, since most units have 70% on their best enviroment.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Elvish_Pillager

Monkey wrote:since most units have 70% on their best enviroment.
Besides the Mermen and Nagas, that's four units. FOUR. Out of more than forTY that make up our multiplayer set. That's less than one tenth of the units. That is NOT 'most units'.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
n00b

Post by n00b »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Monkey wrote:since most units have 70% on their best enviroment.
Besides the Mermen and Nagas, that's four units. FOUR. Out of more than forTY that make up our multiplayer set. That's less than one tenth of the units. That is NOT 'most units'.
I count 8:
Dwarvish Fighter
Dwarvish Thundergard
Elvish Archer
Elvish Fighter
Elvish Shaman
Fencer
Orcish Assassin
Thief

Still not most units, but much more factual than "FOUR".
stfu, n00b!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Pay attention to stats changes... Elvish Fighter only has 60% defence in forest now. (this has been true for a while).

and 7/40 units is a rather small amount... about 1/6. (8/40 is 1/5).
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

And elusivefoots don't have a 'best terrain', either.