A Tale of Two Brothers, in Hard : ass wooped

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WurmD

A Tale of Two Brothers, in Hard : ass wooped

Post by WurmD »

So I'm just starting to play the game, and went to try the "A Tale of Two Brothers" in Hard, and got my ass wooped twice in the second mission "The Chase"

What should I be doing in general? (to see if I spot some rookie mistake)

I.e., how many of the original 9 loyal units are expected to survive?
how many lvl 2 units are we expected to use in the second level?

Cheers! Awesome game so far :)
Elder2

Re: A Tale of Two Brothers, in Hard : ass wooped

Post by Elder2 »

Well, attach a save, I will finish it quick and then I can tell.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

Sight unseen, solely from my experience, you're probably moving too fast, leaving enemies at your rear, or too slow, allowing them to build up and attack where you cannot retreat. You only want to spend a turn or two, maybe three, recruiting, then push North. Be sure to watch the time of day and terrain and try to use those either to your advantage or, at least, deny your opponent an advantage.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

If you are just beginning wesnoth I recommend playing it on "normal" difficulty. You might be running the scenario just fine but are just lacking the experience deal with the extra units hard is adding. If you insist on staying on hard, make sure to deny avenues that let more than two enemy units attack frail or injured units, understand wesnoth is rng so a single digit chance to die is usually not worth the risk, and importantly, sometimes you must sacrifice an unit. Putting three units in risk for one is not a great trade off. Also, if this is the second scenario it will be better to use lvl 1 units that are close to leveling over lvl 2 units. The full heal on level-up will in theory give you more damage you can soak up and the lvl 1 units will not drain your upkeep as fast as lvl 2s. As for loyal unit survival rate, do your best to keep it high. Loyal units will pay for themselves quite a few times over so they are worth sacrificing other units for in more cases than normal.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Get more experience playing Wesnoth on normal before playing hard. Unlike most modern day games, the normal in wesnoth is not a cakewalk, and hard mode is too difficult for newcomers.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
lostintime

Post by lostintime »

You may find this walkthrough useful https://wiki.wesnoth.org/ATaleofTwoBrothers#The_Chase

How many units are you recalling from the previous scenario? I recalled four units, only one of which was level 2, and recruited nine spearmen. I lost three units during the scenario, one loyal and two of the new recruits.
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

lostintime wrote:You may find this walkthrough useful https://wiki.wesnoth.org/ATaleofTwoBrothers#The_Chase

How many units are you recalling from the previous scenario? I recalled four units, only one of which was level 2, and recruited nine spearmen. I lost three units during the scenario, one loyal and two of the new recruits.
Imo the "official" walkthroughs are useless for the higher difficulties. Almost everything in them seems aimed at easy and medium.
lostintime

Post by lostintime »

Britannicus wrote:
lostintime wrote:You may find this walkthrough useful https://wiki.wesnoth.org/ATaleofTwoBrothers#The_Chase
Imo the "official" walkthroughs are useless for the higher difficulties. Almost everything in them seems aimed at easy and medium.
It varies from walkthrough to walkthrough which difficulties are covered. In this case there is a small amount of advice about playing on hard.