Secrets of the Ancients - Blackwater (05)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GoatGoat

Secrets of the Ancients - Blackwater (05)

Post by GoatGoat »

Hey, I just started playing Wesnoth again to play the newest campaign, which I heard was available. I'm really stuck on the fifth scenario though, Blackwater, in which you've got to fight lots of Loyalists.

I read the Walkthrough from our support section, and that mentions recruiting lots of Skeletons, and a few Vampire Bats. Doing that did help me get farther, but I still keep getting exhausted partway through from fighting so many Loyalist units. I've got Ardona to level 3, a Deathblade, a Revenant, and a Dread Bat, that's all. The walkthrough mentioned you can level Revenants into Death Knights, so I probably would have chosen another Revenant instead of a Deathblade if I knew that.

I'm mostly asking though because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I'm on the second difficulty by the way, Corrupt. I beat it on the lowest difficulty, but it's a bit too much easier (at least when I look through the scenario files).

As a side note, I think the campaign's amazing from what I've played. Most fun I've had with those two close-quarters scenarios so far.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Secrets of the Ancients - Blackwater (05)

Post by Paulomat4 »

The two times I played the campaigns, i beat that scenario using a lot of skeleton acher spam. They're nearly immune to retaliation from bowmen, quite effective against the cavalry and pretty resistant to the spearmans attack. Keep a few normal skeleton fighters to maul mages. Also use the bone captain a lot.Also send out one or two bats north and south and switch between the water villages. that way you generate income and keep 3-4 enemy soldiers busy. Maybe you can even steal a kill here or there. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I think one of the most important things in this scenario is to try to level your units since it's the only way to heal. It really helps to recall some units which are close to leveling (if you have them).
Here's my replay if it helps - I used several bats as distractions and a mix of skeletons and skeleton archers, and killed the leader on turn 15.
p.s. If anyone has any additional/different advice, feel free to edit the walkthrough!
Attachments
SotA-Blackwater_replay.gz
Wesnoth 1.12.6
(35.7 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

Paulomat4 wrote:The two times I played the campaigns, i beat that scenario using a lot of skeleton acher spam. They're nearly immune to retaliation from bowmen, quite effective against the cavalry and pretty resistant to the spearmans attack. Keep a few normal skeleton fighters to maul mages. Also use the bone captain a lot.Also send out one or two bats north and south and switch between the water villages. that way you generate income and keep 3-4 enemy soldiers busy. Maybe you can even steal a kill here or there. :)
Thanks for the help, I recruited much more Archers and managed to win, though I think that was mostly due to leveling them and a lot of luck. Got a bunch of Bone Shooters out of it.
Inky wrote:I think one of the most important things in this scenario is to try to level your units since it's the only way to heal. It really helps to recall some units which are close to leveling (if you have them).
Here's my replay if it helps - I used several bats as distractions and a mix of skeletons and skeleton archers, and killed the leader on turn 15.
p.s. If anyone has any additional/different advice, feel free to edit the walkthrough!
Thanks, I watched your playthrough and you did it much more cleanly than I did. I forgot to bring out Gacryn (the ghoul with the strong trait) to feed him some experience. It was pretty cool, and you didn't lose nearly as much troops as I did.