Dead Water - Flight Strategy

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GoatGoat

Dead Water - Flight Strategy

Post by GoatGoat »

Hello all. I've came back to playing some Wesnoth campaigns after a long hiatus, and since I really liked Dead Water, I thought I'd try it on Normal. I'm pretty terrible at the game, so anything apart from the easiest difficulty is asking a lot from me.

Anyway, I'd like in this scenario to defeat Mal Kevek and Mal Deveth to earn the Fearsome Bat and Friendly Bat (as well as a ring of strength), respectively. I'd also like for Gwabbo not to die. In the previous scenario, I've levelled Kai to a Soldier King, and Cylanna is halfway leveled up. Haven't earned any level 2 generic merfolk, however. There's still a bit of gold left over from the last time, so I've thought it wouldn't be hard to get everything I wanted from this scenario.

I keep trying to kill the Death Knight to get his gold bonus, but I have trouble sending enough units to that battle line while keeping the aquatic villages safe. I am aware that killing any leader in this scenario will get rid of their armies, I find reading the .cfg files very interesting.

Anybody want to share some replays? I have no idea what I'm doing. Attached is my most recent attempt, and also the scenario's starting conditions if you want to try it out yourself. Crazy how a lot of players here have no trouble with Nightmare scenarios.
Attachments
DW-Flight.gz
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
DW-Flight_replay.gz
(33.76 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Sire

Re: Dead Water - Flight Strategy

Post by Sire »

Here's an Let's Play thread for Dead Water by Inky that includes replays alongside text and pictures! Hopefully it proves useful to you.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43304
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Sire: Thanks for advertising my thread :) Though in that playthrough I only defeated the southwest leader (since defeating all leaders on Nightmare isn't realistic).

Goatgoat: Nice job getting Krellis to level 2 already! Some advice from watching your attempt - try not to send units off on their own without support or they'll just get turned into corpses, and try to use Krellis' leadership as much as possible, especially since he's level 2.

Here's my replay on Normal difficulty using your save (by the way, I think you should mention your saves are from Wesnoth 1.13.4 since they don't work with 1.12 which most players use). First I made a massive attack on the northeast leader in the afternoon and quickly wiped them out with the help of Krellis' leadership, then I moved everyone back to the center and used the extra gold to recruit some more, then split my army in half to take out the two southern leaders.
Attachments
DW-Flight_replay-Normal.gz
Wesnoth 1.13.4 (doesn't work with 1.12).
All leaders killed (normal difficulty using Goatgoat's starting save.)
(42.94 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

Inky wrote:Sire: Thanks for advertising my thread :) Though in that playthrough I only defeated the southwest leader (since defeating all leaders on Nightmare isn't realistic).

Goatgoat: Nice job getting Krellis to level 2 already! Some advice from watching your attempt - try not to send units off on their own without support or they'll just get turned into corpses, and try to use Krellis' leadership as much as possible, especially since he's level 2.

Here's my replay on Normal difficulty using your save (by the way, I think you should mention your saves are from Wesnoth 1.13.4 since they don't work with 1.12 which most players use). First I made a massive attack on the northeast leader in the afternoon and quickly wiped them out with the help of Krellis' leadership, then I moved everyone back to the center and used the extra gold to recruit some more, then split my army in half to take out the two southern leaders.
Thanks for the quick responses guys. And yeah, I was actually really lucky leveling Krellis. He got a lot of finishing blows against skeletons, especially with his blunt damage.

Looks like you got all three. And yeah, I was thinking I'd get the northeast finished first, then use his gold to finish off the other two, I was just having trouble with a bit of everything. I'll try and learn from your playthough, thanks!

EDIT: Without completely copying what you do, I still seem to get held up at the shore, while the Wraiths catch up and destroy my main army. Guess I'll have to keep trying for a while. I'm dumb. I kept thinking it was essential to lure the undead into the water where they'll have a 20% dodge rate. Then I realized that they're still pretty terrible on sand at 30% anyways. I can destroy the Death Knight and secure all my valuable units (Gwabbo and the Undead Bat) by Turn 9. Still having trouble retaking the rest of the map from the undead who've gained on me, though.

Another edit: Looking at the page of resistances, Ghouls seem to have a massive 30% resistance to pierce, and bats have a -20% resistance to impact. Not only that, but since the Initiates' water spray is magical, it works better against flying and aquatic targets. Recruiting mostly citizens and initiates, I can keep Gwabbo and the Undead Bat safe by Turn 5 when I (re)kill the Death Knight, a significant improvement over last time.

And it's done. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
DW-Flight_replay.gz
(42.62 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Now compare this hard fought result with the obvious choice: running away. Was it really worth it?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
GoatGoat

Post by GoatGoat »

taptap wrote:Now compare this hard fought result with the obvious choice: running away. Was it really worth it?
I know it seems kinda dumb, but it was a nice and fun challenge. The bats and the ring were useful rewards for sure, especially the Undead Bat, which I previously thought was just a joke. The plague special worked wonders against the Saurians and sea monsters later on in the campaign.