How to finish NR orc fortress scenario on nightmare?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elder2

How to finish NR orc fortress scenario on nightmare?

Post by Elder2 »

I have been trying to finish Northern Rebirth on nightmare, it isn't that hard until the orc fortress Eastern Flank scenario, maybe with exception of Infested Caves and Settling Disputes which took me some effort to figure out how to finish.

But that orc fortress... I just have no idea how to finish it, there are just too many orcs, they are literally flooding the entire map on nightmare difficulty, not only the scenario is just painful to play because of that but also seems hopeless, I am not even sure if it is possible to finish it no matter what you do, this is about as far as I have managed to get, I think I can't reduce the orc numbers further before I run out of turns, I tried to push even harder after turn 40 but I quickly exhaust my health which is already in not that good of a shape after I just pushed to get a bit of ground.

Any Ideas? I can't flank because the orcs are swarming the entire map and constantly keep recruiting units, I think if I had like 20 more turns or even maybe 10 I probably would be able to force my way through the orc wall but not in 47 turns, it is not enough.
Attachments
OP-Wschodnie_skrzydło_powtórka.gz
(251.77 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
OP-Wschodnie_skrzydło_Tura_40.gz
(325.16 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: How to finish NR orc fortress scenario on nightmare?

Post by Inky »

Unfortunately your starting gold (105 Tallin/244 Krash) is just too low to win.
I suspect you spent most of last scenario getting XP for drakes instead of finishing early, but you need gold more than XP (there's plenty of XP available in Eastern Flank) and the early finish bonus last scenario was doubly important since both Tallin and Krash benefit from it.

If you don't want to replay Stolen Gold, I think you can just load your turn 17 save from the replay, then accept the elves' offer of an early victory for a massive (500+ gold for both Tallin and Krash) finish bonus.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Inky wrote:Unfortunately your starting gold (105 Tallin/244 Krash) is just too low to win.
I suspect you spent most of last scenario getting XP for drakes instead of finishing early, but you need gold more than XP (there's plenty of XP available in Eastern Flank) and the early finish bonus last scenario was doubly important since both Tallin and Krash benefit from it.

If you don't want to replay Stolen Gold, I think you can just load your turn 17 save from the replay, then accept the elves' offer of an early victory for a massive (500+ gold for both Tallin and Krash) finish bonus.
Hm that may be the case, I didn't thought about it, I will try to do it
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Inky wrote:Unfortunately your starting gold (105 Tallin/244 Krash) is just too low to win.

Well, after my computer broke I finally found enough will in myself to try to finish this campaign.

You were right, more gold really changed everything, though I finished the scenario on the last turn I wouldn't say it was hard, all I had to do was to steadily push all the time, now I had enough units and health on the battlefield to be able to do that, I got a ton of lvl 2 and 3 drakes from this scenario, I gave most of the villages to drake so I could constantly recruit new drakes later in the game, I slowly filled the map with drakes, having high number of drakes really helps because they just take so much damage that I had to keep half of my drake army healing at villages at any time, then I pushed to the orc castle and recruited more drakes there, I didn't really had problems with winning that, now I think the hardest scenario in teh campaign was the one where I had to defeat Ro arthian.

Now I am in the last scenario, I will probably finish it tomorrow, it is pretty tedious, though I have a feeling that breaking through orc defense will take me last time than in this scenario with orc fortress simply because I have way more units, btw my elves heroes die so easily at night even on forest, I really expected more from the elves meh
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

|

Ok I finished the whole campaign, I think i will create a new forum topic and post the replays there