NR - Old Friend Campaign (in 11 turns on Nightmare)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

semper

NR - Old Friend Campaign (in 11 turns on Nightmare)

Post by semper »

Hello,

Here is my saved replay for the Northern Rebirth - Old Friend mission on Nightmare difficulty; I did save each of the turns and replay some of the turns multiple times in order to test different tactics. I also replayed the map two times prior to this saved replay.

Anyway, I am posting the tactic because it will probably work without saving and replaying some of the turns. Enjoy.

The strategy used is:
1) recall and recruit for 3 turns, and then move Tallin out, holding the rod of justice, on the third turn.
2) move the bulk of your force (including your strongest units) south-east, but make sure to let the two undead Mages of Lightlead the assault to the south-east.
3) ignore the middle mountains for the most part, but use a few units to protect your flank vs the troops coming over them.
4) By turn 4, you should have a wall of level 3 units to protect your flank as your primary army moves into the south-east battle.
5) Be sure to ignore the villages, other than to use them strategically for defense and healing.
6) Move your dwarves along the eastern hill edge (for terrain advantage) and hold position while waiting for the moment to break their formations from the side edge.
7) by turn 5, retreat your weakened level 3 troops along the northern flank and fill the lines in with the lower-level units (which you had recruited or recalled last).
8 ) Use your Shyde from the back to heal as many units as possible per turn. Also try to make use of units leveling in order to recycle their health.
9) Keep moving your Mages of Light (SIster Thera and Father Morvin) to the front of your south-eastern force; your goal is to shove those two invincible units far in.
10) Be sure to protect your Great Mage (Crazy Camerin) and your leader (Tallin) as you use them to pick off strategic, easy targets.
11) By turn 6, I began my dwarven assault, while maintaining my Mages of Light on the south-western edge of my formation to take the damage.
12) Keep moving the damaged and poisoned units to the back rows while pushing forward with the healed units. Remember, the goal is to reach the edges of Rakshas' fortress as swiftly as possible!
13) By turn 7, I had broken the southern forces, while at the same time my northern and western flanks were beginning to thin out... If you have a unit at 1 to 2 xp points from leveling, then I recommend using that unit as a 'wall', considering the AI tend not to attack those units! Attempt to spread those units out in order to maintain the northern flank.
14) By turn 8, the AI had broken my western flank and had surrounded some of my northern flank units. Meanwhile, in the southern battle, I had surround the Orcish leader Poul and moved Tallin to the Keep to recruit more units (primarily footpads for movement and survivability).
15) Also on turn 8, I had to move the top row of my southern force back north-west to reinforce those flanks and assist my northern units.
16) And the rest is straightforward: move your strong force to the eastern edge of the fortress and be sure to kill the units along the way; do not cross over the eastern line of single fortresses (or take the villages aligned with those fortresses) until you are ready to assault Rakshas, otherwise you will trigger the ambush and reveal a ton of gold in Rakshas' coffers.
17)Try to bring your Wraith/Spectre or your Shyde or Drake (flying units) to within striking distance of Rakshas before you attempt to assault him because you will need the second unit to finish the Orcish leader off.
18) Remember to protect your leader-assassin units so that they can survive for the second round, for if needed.
Attachments
NR-Old_Friend_replay_Semper.gz
(86.39 KiB) Downloaded 508 times