Heir to the Throne, scenarios 7 through 10

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

oaq

Heir to the Throne, scenarios 7 through 10

Post by oaq »

No new strategies or tips have been posted during the past week, so here are some:

In Heir to the Throne, hard difficulty, scenario 7, "Crossroads":
Spoiler:
In Heir to the Throne, hard difficulty, scenario 8, "The Princess of Wesnoth":
Spoiler:
In Heir to the Throne, hard difficulty, scenario 9, "The Valley of Death":
Spoiler:
In Heir to the Throne, hard difficulty, scenario 10, "Gryphon Mountain":
Spoiler:
Last edited by oaq on May 28th, 2016, 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
kjn

Re: Heir to the Throne, scenarios 7 through 10

Post by kjn »

Interesting. I've followed similar patterns for several of my games.

(8 Princess) I've found a single merman to be sufficient if he has the Storm Trident, but he will mainly be useful to grab a few villages and help against the trap. But yes, getting the Storm Trident to Kaba is very helpful.

(9 Valley) Interesting, I've mainly gone straight east. I've also found that regular knights or even a horseman can take on the liches using the holy water, if they get help from a Silver Mage. Of course, that usually means you'll have to grab the villages close to the liches and let them have the first strike, but they're survivable in the day.

One thing I found when going up against the Walking Corpses was that Kalenz is quite vulnerable to them - he is strong enough to kill them, but not before they get in a hit or two on him, and he ends up being killed with a stack of ten or more Walking Corpses before him.

(10 Gryphon) I've found sylphs and shydes to be invaluable in this one. The terrain in this scenario is just awful to handle.
oaq

Post by oaq »

kjn wrote:(10 Gryphon) I've found sylphs and shydes to be invaluable in this one. The terrain in this scenario is just awful to handle.
Three questions, please:
  1. At hard difficulty, can one get sylphs and shydes before (10 Gryphon)? I'd like to try that. How should I go about it?
  2. I had been feeding experience to Elrian, trying to build him up to level 4, because he is loyal. Should that experience instead have been going to enchantresses and druids?
  3. Also, since I have Moremirmu, I hadn't much been using druids before (10 Gryphon). Has this been this a mistake?
kjn

Post by kjn »

(Gryphon.1) Shydes, definitely. When checking my last replay, I had two shydes (one intelligent) and one enchantress (likely to have been a sylph if intelligent; I lost one sorceress in the Valley).

Assuming the first one or two shamans become sorceresses, I try to develop a (preferably quick) druid at the Isle of Anduin and Bay of Pearls. A quick druid can help the mermen a lot once your land force has reached the corals, where the druid splits off. Then they can pick up a lot of XP at Princess, since they deal impact/pierce.

(Gryphon.2) Personally, I'm more concerned with capabilities than with buffing my loyals. A shyde is only 112 XP, and is such a useful unit to have. A sylph is a lot harder to achieve, at 312 XP. In comparison, a great mage is at 374. Generally, I've found myself to trying to get my loyals to L2 as quickly as possible to make them really useful, but afterward they tend to get bits and pieces of XP here and there. They still level reasonably quickly, since they're used in just about every scenario.

(Gryphon.3) I wouldn't say it's been a mistake, but I like to have two healers in most scenarios, and it's quite easy to level a shyde if you set your mind to it. The druid also has the advantages of better movetype and slow over the white mage.

Also, another thing: rangers and avengers are quite useful too here, since they get three moves in the mountains instead of two.