how to calculate hitpoint?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michaelbr

how to calculate hitpoint?

Post by michaelbr »

I'm playing this game for almost a month, so fairly new, I couldn't find details on how to calculate when a unit can kill another, can someone please explain it to me to pointing where I can find more info about this topic?

My understanding is when a unit is low in HP, it's about to die, but where/what can you look to make sure that one unit can kill another one? For instance an enemy unit has 7 HP left, but when I send a unit with 7 X 3 against enemy's 2 X 3, I thought that both units can hit 3 times, so the calculation should be pretty simple, 7 - 2 = 5, then * 3 = 15, enough to kill the enemy, but my unit sometime can't kill the enemy, just wondering which tool to use to make sure that a unit can kill the enemy.

ps: I've simplified my calculation, I think you should take into consideration the terrain, the time of the day and %, but at least an estimate of how likely a unit can kill an enemy. I'm very confused about this and sending units randomly.
Thanks for your comment/suggestion.
Michael
DeCoolest_Cat

Re: how to calculate hitpoint?

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

When you are on the attack screen, you will see a damage calculations button. Pressing that will show you what % that the enemy will die.

Also, just as a sidenote, the forum rules state that you can't have a moving avatar.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
kjn

Post by kjn »

I think your model of combat in Wesnoth is incomplete here, and that causes your trouble.

From how I understand it, these are the folling variables that goes into calculating the damage during a combat:

Chance to hit: this depends on the hex the unit is standing on (exception: things like marksman and magical attacks). This is shown as the "Def" value in-game. Eg, an elvish archer in forest have a defense of 70%, while an orc (or indeed most units) in the open will have a defense of 40%. That means that 70% of the attacks against the archer will miss, while 40% of the attacks against the orc will miss.

Number of attacks: an elvish archer will make four attacks using a bow (ranged combat), or two attacks using a blad (melee combat); it is the second number in the attack stat. More attacks can be thought of as higher skill (since the chance to hit usually only depends on the defender). Most combats will go for the higher number of attacks between the two parties. So between an elvish and an orcish fighter in melee combat, the elvish fighter will first make one attack (if the elf is the overall attacker), then the orc, then the elf, then the orc's second attack, and then two attacks by the elf without retaliation from the orc.

Damage per attack: this is the first number in the attack stat, and tells the base damage that a successful attack will make. It is later modified by resistances, time of day, leadership, slow, and other factors. Hover over the attack and you will see the exact damage a successful attack will make against the various visible opponents.

A unit can be a good defender in three different ways: being hard to hit (eg the footpad), ie having high defense values in most terrains; having lots of HP; or having high resistances (eg the dwarvish guardsman).
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

michaelbr wrote:just wondering which tool to use to make sure that a unit can kill the enemy.
The whole game is based on probability, so it's actually impossible to be sure. You can only try to make sure that the probability is high. You should read Help-->Gameplay-->Combat because, like kjn said, you have missed something fundamental. Your calculation is using numbers the wrong way.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide