Help with DM save the King

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

Help with DM save the King

Post by max_torch »

Im playing on challenging, latest version.

Okay so I was stuck here for a really long time so I went back to 'Terror at the Ford of Parthyn' so that I might be able to start 'Save the King' with more gold and better recruits. But now I realized that it seems rather pointless to try to do that, since in 'Shadows in the Dark' when
Spoiler:
--> So I guess there is really absolutely no point in not spending all of the available gold immediately at the beginning of Shadows in the Dark'?
--> I guess I should've just kept doing 'Save the King' again and again till I got lucky rather than wasting time going back to 'Terror at the Ford of Parthyn'?
--> If yes to the above question, then what on earth are you supposed to do in Save the King? The advice in the walkthrough page doesn't seem to apply too well and it even admits this saying that as of the latest versions
Spoiler:
btw, this is the first 'roadblock' scenario for me in DM..
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Help with DM save the King

Post by Inky »

Hmmm have you tried recalling your best veterans and rushing straight south as fast as possible? Minimum gold should be enough (and you're also going to go very negative on this scenario so no need to worry about upkeep/grabbing villages). Maybe the ally just got very bad luck when you tried it. (I haven't played this campaign on wesnoth 1.12 yet though so I don't have a replay, and it's probably changed since I played. Maybe you could post a replay of an attempt or a start of scenario save?)
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Just wanna say that I finally won Save the King. So I conclude for this that starting from "Return of Trouble', you shouldn't care anymore about early finish and maximizing gold, the focus should be on getting the L3s that you want to have available for use in 'Save the King'.
brabar

Post by brabar »

AH !

Well, i'm currently stuck on medium (Version 1.12.6 (1.12.6)), with the stupid king and its foolish troops letting him die by turn 6 or 7 ...

I've not tried yet to rush southwards following the left side of the map, it seems hazardous as the mages are so slow in mountains and river ...

I'm gonna try things, but I'd be grateful if anyone let me know how to go across the river fast enough to save the silly Garard :roll:
Last edited by brabar on September 30th, 2017, 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I feel your pain, saving useless allies is the most annoying thing in Wesnoth :doh:

Going west through the mountains is going to be too slow; the fastest route is through the central orc leader- ideally he should be dead around turn 4 or 5. For recruits elves are good because of all the forests, and sorceresses are especially good at destroying the trolls. Don't bother village grabbing (gold is way negative anyway), just send all your units straight to the orc and then across the river and you should be able to make it in time.

I don't have a replay for 1.12, though maybe someone else does. You can also post your starting save if you want someone to demonstrate.
brabar

Post by brabar »

Thank you for your fast answer ...

I found my way through, but had losses on the way ...

The necessity to be agressive exposes some precious units (lost 2 white mages out of 4) ...

I used both ways ... along the edge of the map with a quick task force who reached the king just in time to save his miserable ass ... It made me use the white mages as fighting units, which was kind of funny :roll:

The "bottleneck" of mountains at the south exit of our keep makes it uneasy to face the baddies hordes in the first turns ... :doh:
Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language
Poison

Post by Poison »

Don't you have a shyde? Use the shyde(s) to slow some ranged units so that the HI line / Royal Guards of the King will live more. Or some units that can be OHKOed by the horsemen, the AI will immediately take action if you slow them because of the much lesser retaliation. Here's my replay, maybe you'll find it useful (also lost a shyde and a mage).
DM-Save_the_King_replay_Poison.gz
(65.71 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Edit: The replay is for 1.13.8 dev, forgot about that.