Let's Play Legend of the Invincibles!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IywIYchI

Let's Play Legend of the Invincibles!

Post by IywIYchI »

Hi everyone,

I saw Inky's Let's Play Dead Water post and I was very inspired. I am going to do a Let's Play in a similar format of the popular add-on campaign Legend of the Invincibles (Part 1) by Dugi, my favorite campaign. The scenarios are very fun, creative, and challenging, and there are a few new features introduced, including a RPG-like loot drop system, a crafting system, new max-level promotions including level-4 and level-5, new enemies, and new AMLA bonuses. The entire campaign (part 1) is 90 scenarios (!). I have played through the campaign once on Hard already, and I have been playing the game a lot over the past few years and have beat every mainline campaign on Hard and UtBS on Nightmare, and I think I could do a pretty good job with something like a Let's Play. Besides, I have always wanted to do something like this.

Campaign: Legend of the Invincibles

Version: 1.12.5 (Campaign version 3.1.18)

Saveloading: Wesnoth is very much about managing risk, so I play without save-loads to save important units. I always play so that my main characters have ~0% chance of dying, regardless of how sub-optimal the play may be. It may be argued that understanding AI behavior allows you to make plays where your main characters have 0% chance of dying even though they have a chance to die if the enemy were played by a human, but I will try to avoid this (such as leaving your main character exposed to lethal damage but there are a few weak units scattered around that you know the AI will attack instead). However, sometimes, especially in narrow corridor fighting or when fighting units that hit very hard like trolls, sometimes there is a chance to straight-up lose the game on a 1% chance or something, so I will save-load to save a main character who has a 1% chance of dying (I believe this is reasonable). In addition, I save-load from the beginning of my turn when I mis-click or when I make a mistake, and sometimes when I mess up my strategy I will restart the entire scenario.

Difficulty:

I look forward to starting this either later today or tomorrow!
Last edited by IywIYchI on January 11th, 2016, 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IywIYchI

Re: Let's Play Legend of the Invincibles!

Post by IywIYchI »

This is my first time doing something like this so I would appreciate any feedback and tips on how I can do better. Thanks, and hope you guys enjoy, and hopefully learn something!

Edit: accidentally uploaded the save file instead of the replay - fixed that

Scenario 1: An Orcish Assaault
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-An_Orcish_Assault_replay.gz
(108.59 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
Last edited by IywIYchI on January 7th, 2016, 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 2: The Assassination
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-The_Assassination_replay.gz
(210.21 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 3: Banished
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Banished_replay.gz
(222.31 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Last edited by IywIYchI on January 8th, 2016, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

This is great!

I confess that I haven't played LoTI yet (I will, I just keep putting it off because it's such a long campaign) but I'm enjoying your LP and look forward to seeing more. I like all your strategy explanations and how you explain in detail the reasoning behind your recruits.

In the screenshots, sometimes it's a little hard to tell what's going on because the units are so small. It may help to crop some of the screenshots so you can zoom in to where the action is - for example in scenario 3 a large portion of the screen is just black shroud, and in scenario 1 the entire left side of the map basically sees no action so it could be cut out. It's also hard to read spoken text and especially item text (e.g. the Amulet of Twilight text on scenario 3, turn 15) so it might be better to show the text separately like you did for items in scenario 1.

And this might be more trouble than it's worth, but maybe once in a while you could make a list of the items you've collected so far and what they do, to remind readers?

I admire your courage in deciding to LP a 90 scenario campaign :) Keep it up, and best of luck to your LP!
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Response to Inky: thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate the response! I agree that it is a good idea to crop to the action, item text, and dialogue. I gave it a shot in this one so hopefully it looks alright. Throughout the campaign, there are quite a few item drops and it would be wasteful of our time to mention them all, especially since many are not that good and have no significant impact on the game and also many will remain unused, but what I will do is at the beginning of a scenario, I will try to make a list of any important or strong items that have a great impact on the scenario.

Scenario 4: Paradise Lost
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Paradise_Lost_replay.gz
(260.5 KiB) Downloaded 774 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 5: Shatter the Defilers
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Shatter_the_Defilers_replay.gz
(249.45 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 6: Ruins of Lost Empires
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Ruins_of_Lost_Empires_replay.gz
(351.72 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 7: The Return
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-The_Return_replay.gz
(241.48 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 8: Where the Sun does not Shine

Note: this scenario is long and rather unstructured in what you can do, so I will not use turns when doing the write-up
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Where_the_Sun_Does_..._replay.gz
(269.8 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 9: Escape from Oblivion

Note: like last scenario, this scenario is also quite long and rather unstructured in what you can do, apart from the main fight scene, so I will not use turns when doing the write-up except for at that part.
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Escape_from_Oblivion_replay.gz
(298.25 KiB) Downloaded 751 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 10: The Poison
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-The_Poison_replay.gz
(304.71 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
IywIYchI

Post by IywIYchI »

Scenario 11: The Ascension
Spoiler:
Attachments
LotI1-Ascension_replay.gz
(354.66 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey IywIYchI,

I don´t have anything to comment on, but wanted to leave a note that I am enjoying reading this and I´m probably not the only one (even Dugi referenced this thread already ;) ).
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
nachkar

Post by nachkar »

Hey there,
Thanks, the playtrough is great and really nice to read through, keep up the great work !